D7100, First Impressions

robbins.photo

Yup, It's The Zoo Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well the new D7100 arrived and I got a chance to do some real quick initial tests after getting the battery charged. Haven't given it a proper shakedown yet of course, that will come tomorrow when I can get out and actually put it through it's paces - but I took a few test shots here and there and am starting to get a feel for the new camera.

My first impression? Holy crap this thing has a lot of buttons on it.. lol. Having used the D5200 for quite some time, the 7100 is a bit of a departure in layout. I do like having access to most anything you might want to access without ever having to go into the menus, but boy it will take some time getting used to all those additional buttons and gizmos.

A couple of things I noted fairly quickly, the viewfinder is much better on the 7100. The second thing that caught my attention was the Autofocus system, it seems to be a big step up from the 5200. Don't get me wrong, the AF on the 5200 worked fairly well, but this really is a much better AF system than what the 5200 offers.

The body is a bit heavier, but actually that's a good thing since it balances with the 70-200 mm F/2.8 better than the 5200. The other big difference I noted as that the 7100 seems to have a much better handle on automatic white balance, it seems to be able to produce better images straight off the camera than the 5200 as a result. Granted I can adjust the WB in post, but it's nice not to have to do that quite so often.

The lack of an AA filter also makes the images coming off the camera sharper, gives them better clarity - again something I could do in post but it's nice to only have to make minor adjustments especially when I'm shooting in low light and am already trying to compensate somewhat for noise issues.

So far at least I'm pretty impressed, I'd say it was definitely worth the money to upgrade.

It is a big difference. My dad has a D5100, and the difference between that and my
d7000 was huge. Good luck with it! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

......... I do like having access to most anything you might want to access without ever having to go into the menus,..........

Have you discovered My Menu yet?
fiufiu.gif

It is a big difference. My dad has a D5100, and the difference between that and my

Well I started out with a 5100, upgraded to the 5200 and now to the 7100 - it really is a big departure from the 5xxxx series, but so far liking it a lot.

Well I started out with a 5100, upgraded to the 5200 and now to the 7100 - it really is a big departure from the 5xxxx series, but so far liking it a lot.

For me, the dual wheels for aperture and shutter make it all worth while. You can change settings without ever removing your eye from the viewfinder. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

For me, the dual wheels for aperture and shutter make it all worth while. You can change settings without ever removing your eye from the viewfinder. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Well if you want a good laugh I was trying to figure out how to select a particular focus point - finally realized that I had to release the focus lock first.. lol. I do like the idea of the focus lock switch though, it will be nice to be able to keep the focus point from moving around until I want it too.

Got a ton of reading to do, but so far the dual wheel design seems like it will be a real advantage. The function button is going to take a little practice to reach, it's kind of in an odd position or at least it seems that way to me coming from the 5200. Can't wait to get it out and about tomorrow and have some fun getting aquainted with the new camera.

Tough part is going to be my other D5200 - I sold one to help finance the upgrade, but I think I'll most likely end up selling the other now. The two cameras have such different control systems I don't see myself being able to use both as effectively as I did with the 2 D5200's. So I'll most likely put the 5200 up for sale, put that back in the camera budget and maybe put the proceeds towards a new lens at some point.

Well if you want a good laugh I was trying to figure out how to select a particular focus point - finally realized that I had to release the focus lock first.. lol. I do like the idea of the focus lock switch though, it will be nice to be able to keep the focus point from moving around until I want it too.

Got a ton of reading to do, but so far the dual wheel design seems like it will be a real advantage. The function button is going to take a little practice to reach, it's kind of in an odd position or at least it seems that way to me coming from the 5200. Can't wait to get it out and about tomorrow and have some fun getting aquainted with the new camera.

Tough part is going to be my other D5200 - I sold one to help finance the upgrade, but I think I'll most likely end up selling the other now. The two cameras have such different control systems I don't see myself being able to use both as effectively as I did with the 2 D5200's. So I'll most likely put the 5200 up for sale, put that back in the camera budget and maybe put the proceeds towards a new lens at some point.

Yeah, same thing happened to me when I got my D200--I thought I broke something! To be honest, I NEVER use the point lock... Ever. Haha. I probably should, but I've never found a use for it. And I know what you mean: you get so used to the controls of one camera that switching to a different layout feels alien. Even the subtle differences between where the zoom button was on my D7000 vs. D800 threw me for a loop. The first week with the D800 I kept changing the edit stuff in camera instead of zooming in. Hahah.

Use the money from the other D5200 to get another lens!!!!!

Jake

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Congrats! The U1/U2 is very useful too. and like 480 sparky said, you will love "my menu"

and another lower end body camera user bites the dust, and sees the light ...

Congrats on the D7100! I picked mine up last week and I've loved it since. The ISO performance rocks when you are indoors and the camera is so easy to use. I went from the D3200 to the D7100 and it was night and day.

You will very SOON find that having MORE external controls is a hell of a lot faster, and easier, than menu-diving to make common adjustments. Yeah, at first it seems like button-shock, but you will very soon understand just how much better dedicated external buttons and controls are on a somewhat complex machine like the D7100.

Moiré? Uhhhh...sorry, but that's mid-2000's thinking for the most part. It's basically become almost a non-factor now that megapixel counts are so high;it USED to be an issue when MP counts were low, but now, the lenses themselves are acting as de facto anti-aliasing filters since diffraction is knocking things down even at big apertures like f/3.2 on 24MP...moiré is not really a big issue in the D7100. It was a HUGE issue with, say the Kodak DCS 760, a 6 megapixel, full-frame, and somewhat a problem with the Kodak 14n, a 14-MP FF d-slr, but 24MP on APS-C is a whole new era.

Nikon D7100 launches with no low-pass filter; Nikon believes moiré no longer an issue

[h=1]Nikon D7100 launches with no low-pass filter; Nikon believes moiré no longer an issue[/h]

Most reactions

Back