D7100, First Impressions

You will very SOON find that having MORE external controls is a hell of a lot faster, and easier, than menu-diving to make common adjustments. Yeah, at first it seems like button-shock, but you will very soon understand just how much better dedicated external buttons and controls are on a somewhat complex machine like the D7100.

Moiré? Uhhhh...sorry, but that's mid-2000's thinking for the most part. It's basically become almost a non-factor now that megapixel counts are so high;it USED to be an issue when MP counts were low, but now, the lenses themselves are acting as de facto anti-aliasing filters since diffraction is knocking things down even at big apertures like f/3.2 on 24MP...moiré is not really a big issue in the D7100. It was a HUGE issue with, say the Kodak DCS 760, a 6 megapixel, full-frame, and somewhat a problem with the Kodak 14n, a 14-MP FF d-slr, but 24MP on APS-C is a whole new era.

Nikon D7100 launches with no low-pass filter; Nikon believes moiré no longer an issue

Nikon D7100 launches with no low-pass filter; Nikon believes moiré no longer an issue

That is great news. I can start wearing my pinstripe suits again .. coming back in Fashion due to camera technology !!

That is great news. I can start wearing my pinstripe suits again .. coming back in Fashion due to camera technology !!

Well I think I can speak for all concerned when I say we'd just be happy to see you put on some pants, pinstriped or otherwise..

Lol

Well I think I can speak for all concerned when I say we'd just be happy to see you put on some pants, pinstriped or otherwise..

Lol

I agree. Pants are better than no pants. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep, best crop frame body on the market (imho)
I'm still plugging along with my D7000, waiting for the D7200

Great body I usually pickup my d7100 over my d800 for wildlife and my long lens

I'm salivating reading about all these upgrades to the 7100!

I'm going to upgrade to it, probably just after christmas, from a 3200 and all you new upgraders are making me want it sooner!

Glad you're all happy with the purchases, I love hearing your thoughts :)

and another lower end body camera user bites the dust, and sees the light ...

How many times have we seen folks here recommend low end bodies only to be upgraded later? Might as well start off with a full function camera with no need to upgrade in a few months. Also if 'photography' does not turn out to be all that captivating, a higher end model is easier to sell and at less of a discount.

How many times have we seen folks here recommend low end bodies only to be upgraded later? Might as well start off with a full function camera with no need to upgrade in a few months. Also if 'photography' does not turn out to be all that captivating, a higher end model is easier to sell and at less of a discount.

Well thank goodness everyone is working with a completely unlimited budget and can purchase all of the highest end equipment without regard to how much it costs I guess.

had mine about six months I think. still reading the manual im up to page six.

so your selling the other one..

I dunno

thought your kid used it?

But yeah. Like my lenses are high enough quality to get the most out of the 7100. so it kind of sucks. I can see wanting a new lens no doubt.

had mine about six months I think. still reading the manual im up to page six.

so your selling the other one..

I dunno

thought your kid used it?

But yeah. Like my lenses are high enough quality to get the most out of the 7100. so it kind of sucks. I can see wanting a new lens no doubt.

Well she does on occasion but now that she's starting school she won't have the time between that and working a part time job. But she'll be getting one of her own for Christmas - she just doesn't know it yet.. lol.

As it is my lens line up seems to work fairly well with the 7100, pretty happy with today's results. Love the camera, it really is a step up from the 5200.

Well thank goodness everyone is working with a completely unlimited budget and can purchase all of the highest end equipment without regard to how much it costs I guess.

I'm not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm salivating reading about all these upgrades to the 7100!

I'm going to upgrade to it, probably just after christmas, from a 3200 and all you new upgraders are making me want it sooner!

Glad you're all happy with the purchases, I love hearing your thoughts :)

Well aside from all of the nice external controls I think the three biggest things that really stand out thus far are:

1. The autofocus system - it really is impressive, it locks on fast and man the accuracy is impressive. The 5200's AF system was ok, it got the job done, but this one really is a whole lot better.
2. The auto white balance seems to work much better on the 7100
3. The viewfinder is a big step up from the 5200, there really is a very noticeable difference between pentaprism and pentamirror

Most reactions

New Topics

Back