D7100, First Impressions

and another lower end body camera user bites the dust, and sees the light ...

How many times have we seen folks here recommend low end bodies only to be upgraded later? Might as well start off with a full function camera with no need to upgrade in a few months. Also if 'photography' does not turn out to be all that captivating, a higher end model is easier to sell and at less of a discount.

Well thank goodness everyone is working with a completely unlimited budget and can purchase all of the highest end equipment without regard to how much it costs I guess.

If you do it right the first time, it only hurts once. :wink:

Congrats on the new body and now for the zoo kitty pictures to come.

How many times have we seen folks here recommend low end bodies only to be upgraded later? Might as well start off with a full function camera with no need to upgrade in a few months. Also if 'photography' does not turn out to be all that captivating, a higher end model is easier to sell and at less of a discount.

Well thank goodness everyone is working with a completely unlimited budget and can purchase all of the highest end equipment without regard to how much it costs I guess.

If you do it right the first time, it only hurts once. :wink:

Well had I known quite some time ago when I purchased the D5100 that I would be taking as serious an interest in the hobby as I would eventually, I probably would have looked at things a little differently. I had no idea at that stage that I'd get into photography as much as I have, in fact I assumed that I would be like the vast majority of people who buy a DSLR and after a few months the thing would probably wind up on a shelf somewhere and would only get pulled out for vacations or special occasions.

As it is I bought used and really didn't take much of a hit in depreciation on the resale, so my actual "loss" on the previous camera purchases was negligible. They allowed me to develop my interest in photography, gave me a good idea as to what I wanted in a camera, and convinced me that crop sensor was a better fit for my needs than say full frame.

So when I did go to invest in a very expensive camera, well I knew pretty much exactly what I wanted. So yes, when people ask me for advice on what camera to buy, sometimes I'll recommend an entry level, sometimes I'll recommend something higher end - I try to listen to what they have to say and what sort of budget they want to work with and make the best recommendation I can based on their needs, not based on what I have found works best for me.

As for the rest - I did do it "right" the first time, and the second, and now the third. Each camera I've owned has served it's purpose and I don't regret having worked with any of them. Your mileage may vary, but hey, so be it.

Congrats on the new body and now for the zoo kitty pictures to come.

Lol.. well curiously enough I snagged a few Cheetah pics and a couple of the white bengal tiger today, posted in another thread. Really love the 7100, it really does do a remarkable job even under very challenging circumstances.

This is a very good thread. This has the information I really needed in order to make a better decision on which camera to purchase.

I have been constantly going back and forth on purchasing the Nikon D5300 or the D7100. I don't want something heavy, but I want the better pictures. I'd like a better autofocus, but the swing-out screen would make awkward angles easier on me. One costs more than the other, but longevity may make the extra dollars worth it.

I have the D80 right now and I want an upgrade. I have to clean up almost every picture with the D80 especially the indoor pictures. It gets frustrating the amount I have to do on those photos to make them look better. Unfortunately, it's likely because I'm not taking the photos correctly or with the right lenses, but that will be learned eventually.

I am still learning how to use the camera more with the manual settings, but I'd like to get used to the camera I'm going to own for a long time instead of having to relearn where everything is after getting used to one camera. That might be a silly excuse, but it's mine! Either way, that wouldn't be the reason to get a new camera. I just feel I can do better than what the D80 has offered me. It was a great camera and has done well for me. I got it when it was new.

congrats on your new camera, i am really liking my D5300 so far, the 7100 looks awesome, i almost bought the 7100 because it was not that much more, than i realized it did not come with a lens at that price, so i went with the 5300.

glad you are enjoying your 7100, your write up of the 7100 kind of makes me wish i would have got one of those instead lol.

congrats on your new camera, i am really liking my D5300 so far, the 7100 looks awesome, i almost bought the 7100 because it was not that much more, than i realized it did not come with a lens at that price, so i went with the 5300.

glad you are enjoying your 7100, your write up of the 7100 kind of makes me wish i would have got one of those instead lol.
it isn't all about the camera. I take some really crappy photos with my 7100 and when I get a even nicer camera I am pretty sure I will be able to take some really crappy photos with that one too. 5300 is a pretty good (photo quality wise) camera probably as good as the 7100 just with less hands on control. I can take good photos with my point and shoot. Really on use and the person behind they camera at the time and their outlook not always so much what the photo is shot with..

Right now i'm cameraless, so i might join you on the d7100 depending on what nikon will do at photokina.

and another lower end body camera user bites the dust, and sees the light ...

You are going wrong about this. You have to build up to a better camera. Between now and a years time try to save at least $1200, sell your camera at a 20% to 30% loss in a years time, then pool that money with the new savings to go to full frame. A lot of people who own d4 and d4s did it that way. They just take the small loss on the chin and look at their cameras like capital. But of course you cant buy a d800 in one go, you have to build up.

You are going wrong about this. You have to build up to a better camera. Between now and a years time try to save at least $1200, sell your camera at a 20% to 30% loss in a years time, then pool that money with the new savings to go to full frame. A lot of people who own d4 and d4s did it that way. They just take the small loss on the chin and look at their cameras like capital. But of course you cant buy a d800 in one go, you have to build up.
Rotfl, well if you say so I guess. I'm happy with were I'm at and how I got here.

I don't want a d4, I am quite satisfied with the d7100 and will most likely keep it for years to come.

But I must admit I am very amused at how many people wish to profess themselves as experts on how I should or should not spend my own money, and which cameras I should buy and when.

Last edited:
This is a very good thread. This has the information I really needed in order to make a better decision on which camera to purchase.

I have been constantly going back and forth on purchasing the Nikon D5300 or the D7100. I don't want something heavy, but I want the better pictures. I'd like a better autofocus, but the swing-out screen would make awkward angles easier on me. One costs more than the other, but longevity may make the extra dollars worth it.

I have the D80 right now and I want an upgrade. I have to clean up almost every picture with the D80 especially the indoor pictures. It gets frustrating the amount I have to do on those photos to make them look better. Unfortunately, it's likely because I'm not taking the photos correctly or with the right lenses, but that will be learned eventually.

I am still learning how to use the camera more with the manual settings, but I'd like to get used to the camera I'm going to own for a long time instead of having to relearn where everything is after getting used to one camera. That might be a silly excuse, but it's mine! Either way, that wouldn't be the reason to get a new camera. I just feel I can do better than what the D80 has offered me. It was a great camera and has done well for me. I got it when it was new.

Honestly you'd probably be happier with either, the image quality on both is first rate and the low light capabilities on both are about as impressive as it gets for a crop sensor camera.

If the 7100 is within your budget I'd give it serious consideration, I really do think it is worth it for the external controls alone, they really do make shooting in tricky lighting situations just so much easier and since I find myself in situations like that a lot, well for me it was definitely worthwhile. The one area that I didn't really expect such an improvement was the auto white balance, don't get me wrong the 5200's wasn't terrible but I often found myself adjusting WB in post, the 7100 seems to do a much better job of adjusting it automatically even in very bizarre lighting conditions. I've found it saves me a lot of time in post, which is just so nice when I've spent the entire day out at the zoo shooting.

The 5300 would be a big step up from the D80 though, and while I didn't have one myself I can tell you that the 5200 was a very good camera and frankly difficult to beat considering it's price point.

I'm not saying that the d7100 will become irrelevant in a year, but having new gear and a better performing body is always fun. I'm just telling you that you can have a new camera on the cheap every year if you play it smart. Being able to recuperate most of your money from your camera will depend on the length of warranty remain and shutter count.

I'm not saying that the d7100 will become irrelevant in a year, but having new gear and a better performing body is always fun. I'm just telling you that you can have a new camera on the cheap every year if you play it smart. Being able to recuperate most of your money from your camera will depend on the length of warranty remain and shutter count.

Well it's interesting, but I doubt I'll be moving on from the 7100 anytime soon. Naturally if they release an upgrade for it I might give it a look, but really for what I shoot crop sensor is just a better option for me at the moment, and really from what I've seen when it comes to crop sensor the 7100 is pretty much the top of the ladder, at least for meeting my needs. So I'm good. No regrets on buying the 5200, or the 5100 before that - they suited my needs at the time and they gave me a good idea what features where important to me and which ones really weren't before I went out and spent some serious money on a camera I intend to keep long term.

I for sure think the d7100 is an amazing camera. That is my fallback body if photokina doesn't pan out like i'd imagine.

The same thing can be said about a Macbook computer. A year's worth of depreciation, if you buy as a student (student discount), is about $200 or even less. If that pattern continued, you could have a new Macbook every year for 10 years for $2000.

There's a few different products that you can have new versions of all the time for a small price.

My opinion: I've stuck it out with my iPad 3, if I had a Macbook I would stick it out with the one I would have, and if I get a D7100 I'll be sticking it out with that. If the newest gadget is fun, wonderful. But if you get caught up on having the newest gadget all the time, just for the sake of having the newest gadget, you'll waste wayyyyy more time thinking about what's next than actually enjoying what you have. I've spent countless hours thinking about full frame, budget costs, what to get next, whether I'll need to do warranty servicing on this part or that, how future-proof this piece of gear is or that piece of gear is, etc. Five hours of worrying and googling and posting on forums could have been five hours of walking along the beach taking photographs and creating something amazing.

Unless if the new technology compels you, it's not that important. Sure, you'll get a drug-like rush getting new gear... but I think acquiring technology can be a bit of an addiction.

Well it's interesting, but I doubt I'll be moving on from the 7100 anytime soon. Naturally if they release an upgrade for it I might give it a look, but really for what I shoot crop sensor is just a better option for me at the moment, and really from what I've seen when it comes to crop sensor the 7100 is pretty much the top of the ladder, at least for meeting my needs. So I'm good. No regrets on buying the 5200, or the 5100 before that - they suited my needs at the time and they gave me a good idea what features where important to me and which ones really weren't before I went out and spent some serious money on a camera I intend to keep long term.

Seems like gear-wise we're thinking similarly. Nice upgrade!

I must note though, a lot of people are saying the button changes are significant. What do you think about it? I mean, you had two D5200's, so you must have had them set up optimally. What a lot of people don't seem to know is that you can set up ISO, aperture, and shutter speed changes so that you never have to look down. I'm curious what physical features have been really useful to you so far in the change (button/control-wise, not things like the better viewfinder).

Most reactions

Back