D7100, First Impressions

This is a very good thread. This has the information I really needed in order to make a better decision on which camera to purchase.

I have been constantly going back and forth on purchasing the Nikon D5300 or the D7100. I don't want something heavy, but I want the better pictures. I'd like a better autofocus, but the swing-out screen would make awkward angles easier on me. One costs more than the other, but longevity may make the extra dollars worth it.

I have the D80 right now and I want an upgrade. I have to clean up almost every picture with the D80 especially the indoor pictures. It gets frustrating the amount I have to do on those photos to make them look better. Unfortunately, it's likely because I'm not taking the photos correctly or with the right lenses, but that will be learned eventually.

I am still learning how to use the camera more with the manual settings, but I'd like to get used to the camera I'm going to own for a long time instead of having to relearn where everything is after getting used to one camera. That might be a silly excuse, but it's mine! Either way, that wouldn't be the reason to get a new camera. I just feel I can do better than what the D80 has offered me. It was a great camera and has done well for me. I got it when it was new.

The only caveat I would add is that your d80 has the controls more similar to the d7x00 than the d5x00/3x00 cameras.

Also if you can't afford a d7100, the d7000 is still a fine camera. It's as good as when it was introduced and hasn't changed.
I found no real reason to upgrade from my d7000 to the d7100.

@PaulWog
It's not about the new camera completely, i'm looking at it from my position and how many pictures i take. On my d3200 i took about 47000+ pictures on the 10 months i had it. Selling it at a small loss was a good idea on my part, since nikon won't cover wear and tear from usage. I only went 25% in the hole from the price i originally bought my camera and it was a good play on my part, since it probably wouldn't have lasted another year, because contrary to what a lot of folks think, i take a whole lot of pictures and i have projects constantly lined up. It really sucks now that i have to wait for photokina, i'm using my old p&s currently.

@PaulWog
It's not about the new camera completely, i'm looking at it from my position and how many pictures i take. On my d3200 i took about 47000+ pictures on the 10 months i had it. Selling it at a small loss was a good idea on my part, since nikon won't cover wear and tear from usage. I only went 25% in the hole from the price i originally bought my camera and it was a good play on my part, since it probably wouldn't have lasted another year, because contrary to what a lot of folks think, i take a whole lot of pictures and i have projects constantly lined up. It really sucks now that i have to wait for photokina, i'm using my old p&s currently.

Sounds like you'll be 10 months with a camera, and 10 months without. I couldn't do that as a cycle. I mean, if I could, I would've sold my D5200 a few months ago, kept my 50mm 85mm and 70-300mm, and waited on a full frame D710 or whatever to come out. Instead, I got the ultrawide, and subsequently the 18-35 f1.8.

Admittedly, I don't get to shoot seriously *that* often. Maybe once every two weeks I get to really go on an outting to take my camera and get shots.

@PaulWog

Sounds like you'll be 10 months with a camera, and 10 months without. I couldn't do that as a cycle. I mean, if I could, I would've sold my D5200 a few months ago, kept my 50mm 85mm and 70-300mm, and waited on a full frame D710 or whatever to come out. Instead, I got the ultrawide, and subsequently the 18-35 f1.8.

Admittedly, I don't get to shoot seriously *that* often. Maybe once every two weeks I get to really go on an outting to take my camera and get shots.

More like in 4 days. Nikon will drop the other shoe. I personally think the 18-35 was a good play on your part, since it is unlikely anyone will release anything better in that range. I looked into the 18-35 and it is the sharpest lens wide open. It even beats the top shelve nikon lenses.

Last edited:
I was kind of hoping this thread would help me with my decision to get a new D7100. I have a D300s now and wonder if the change will be worth the dough. Main reason for wanting to change is high ISO performance. I shoot mostly wildlife and that means fast shutter speeds. With the lenses I have the only thing I can do is crank the ISO which is not a good thing with the D300s. Anyhow maybe some one can help with this.

I was kind of hoping this thread would help me with my decision to get a new D7100. I have a D300s now and wonder if the change will be worth the dough. Main reason for wanting to change is high ISO performance. I shoot mostly wildlife and that means fast shutter speeds. With the lenses I have the only thing I can do is crank the ISO which is not a good thing with the D300s. Anyhow maybe some one can help with this.

There are places you can rent cameras. Rent one for a weekend and give it a test drive.

If it is noise that keeps you up at night, your only choices are d610, d810, d4, d4s. The d610 of course being the closest in price range and with better noise control, it has a worse af system, so there's your trade-off. I'd personally go for the d7100 if photokina wasn't around the corner.

Well I'm probably a bit biased.. lol - been loving the 7100 myself. But as I mentioned in another thread, the thing I've found about the 7100 isn't so much that it is leaps and bounds better than my old camera in one single area so much, it's that all of the various areas in which they did make improvements lead to much better, more consistent final results.

For me at least the upgrade was well worth it. I'd go with Sparky on this one - rent one yourself and see what you think.

Last edited:

If it is noise that keeps you up at night, your only choices are d610, d810, d4, d4s. The d610 of course being the closest in price range and with better noise control, it has a worse af system, so there's your trade-off. I'd personally go for the d7100 if photokina wasn't around the corner.

Full frame is better for shooting in low light, but the newer sensors in the D5200, D5300, D7100 series cameras are a huge step up from the much older sensor in the D300 series.

Thanks sparky and all for the advice. And thanks r.p for letting me hijack your thread.

Full frame is better for shooting in low light, but the newer sensors in the D5200, D5300, D7100 series cameras are a huge step up from the much older sensor in the D300 series.

d300 is before my time. did people have to crank up their dslr's back then before each shot?

d300 is before my time. did people have to crank up their dslr's back then before each shot?

No.... it's just like it is today. You set the ISO to what you wanted. You didn't need to set it for each image.

Have you posted any new zoo pics with that 7100? I'd like to see some comparison photos between your old body and this new one. I went from a D90 to the D7100. I could upgrade to a full frame now, but there isn't much of a point for me. When I do commercial work, I let my guys do it, and they all shoot full frame. I'll do the freebie and friend jobs that pays me beer.

Have you posted any new zoo pics with that 7100? I'd like to see some comparison photos between your old body and this new one. I went from a D90 to the D7100. I could upgrade to a full frame now, but there isn't much of a point for me. When I do commercial work, I let my guys do it, and they all shoot full frame. I'll do the freebie and friend jobs that pays me beer.

Yup.. first zoo trip is here:

First Zoo Trip with the D7100 | Photography Forum

Headed back this weekend of course, I shot most everything on the first trip with the 70-200 mm Sigma, this time around I'll be taking the 70-300 mm Tamron as well as the 50 & 85 mm primes. Interested to see what kind of results I can get with the various lenses.

Most reactions

Back