D7100, First Impressions

My favorite thing about my D7100 is the consistency... I only have to worry about my inability to take a picture, not the cameras.

That couldn't be said for my D7000... :)

My favorite thing about my D7100 is the consistency... I only have to worry about my inability to take a picture, not the cameras.

That couldn't be said for my D7000... :)

I've had a similar experience going from the D5200 to the D7100 - it's not that the 7100 has any one category that is just leaps and bounds above the 5200, but it seems to be a lot of measured improvements in various categories that make it a lot more consistent from one shot to the next.

I've had a similar experience going from the D5200 to the D7100 - it's not that the 7100 has any one category that is just leaps and bounds above the 5200, but it seems to be a lot of measured improvements in various categories that make it a lot more consistent from one shot to the next.

d7100-1.jpg

With the D7100... if the shot isn't in focus its my fault :)

Sounds like a great camera!

Nikon sent an email the other day about a one day sale on factory refurbished 7100's - $799.99, wished I had the spare money.

Sounds like a great camera!

Nikon sent an email the other day about a one day sale on factory refurbished 7100's - $799.99, wished I had the spare money.

That was always my issue as far as upgrading - just on paper it really it had some advantages over the 5200 but it was hard to find any one thing that really made it look like it was really worth twice the money.

Now that I have one I've discovered it was well worth it, overall those improvements such as better auto wb, better af, better external controls all factor into more consistent results. So yup, glad I finally pulled the trigger myself.

Sorry if this is classed as resurrecting an old thread, pretty sure it's not though.

Always went back and re-read this thread every so often and took the plunge and ordered a D7100 a couple of evenings ago.

It'll be here (apparently) 23rd Dec so just in time for some great Xmas shooting.

Gives me Xmas eve to practice with it, so I can get my click on for when my daughters are unwrapping their pressies Xmas morning.

Not too early though.............hopefully :)

So, Robbins, what are your thoughts on the D7100 after having it for a few months now?

Sorry if this is classed as resurrecting an old thread, pretty sure it's not though.

Always went back and re-read this thread every so often and took the plunge and ordered a D7100 a couple of evenings ago.

It'll be here (apparently) 23rd Dec so just in time for some great Xmas shooting.

Gives me Xmas eve to practice with it, so I can get my click on for when my daughters are unwrapping their pressies Xmas morning.

So, Robbins, what are your thoughts on the D7100 after having it for a few months now?
I owned the D7100 for over a year and its an outstanding camera!!!
As a complete package and looking at its price you really are getting a ton of camera for very reasonable money.
Great low light performance, fantastic sharpness, pretty fast FPS, good build quality, inbody AF motor, 2 comtrol dials.....and the list goes on and on.
You are going to LOVE your camera, what always amazed me was the AF system on it, moved now to the D750 which supposed to have superior AF system and I gotta tell you to my needs I hardly feel the differance, with good lenses the D7100 used to grab on what ever I aimed at (at AF-C) and wouldnt let go, got some very beautiful action shots with it tack sharp!
Only negative thing on it and for me it was not a big deal is its smaller buffer, it can take 6 shots before it fills, if you are not a serious sports shooter then it relly will not matter too much, if you will get a fast SD card then it will help a lot to clear that buffer.

Yep you are going to have a great Christmas using it :)
So Marry Christmas and enjoy your new toy!

Well, got myself in a bit of a fender bender so I haven't been out and about as much as I normally am - but after a few months of shooting with it, I have no complaints and no regrets about upgrading. The AF system really does make a huge difference for me, I shoot a lot "from the hip" as it were so the 7100's more advanced AF system was a real godsend.

I've also noticed that the photos I do take don't require nearly as much post processing as the ones I used to take with the 5200, they are sharper and have much better color balance straight off the camera. All in all I think it was well worth the money spent on the upgrade.

I've found I also really like having the dual SD card slots, and the extra control wheel really does make a huge, huge difference. It's fantastic for making small adjustments on the fly without having to take the camera out of shooting position

The one thing I found that took a bit of getting used to was the AF button/switch arrangement on the front. On the 5200 the function button was located on the same side also next to the lens, and I'd gotten accusomted to having my hand there so if I needed too I could press the function button quickly to adjust something with the 5200's single control wheel.

As a result when I first got the 7100 it took a bit of getting used too, there were a couple of times when I lost the ability to AF and it took a moment or two to realize that I'd actually switched it off without realizing it. because I had one of my large, clumsy digits hit the switch without meaning too. lol. But I just got used to holding the camera just a bit differently and the problem was easily solved.

One other change of pace for me, on both my D5200's I had battery grips, on the 7100 I haven't purchased one. I don't really shoot in portrait orientation often, and the 7100 is just heavy enough that it balances with my 70-200 2.8 well enough without the added weight of the battery pack.

So yup, still very happy with the upgrade. The 7100 suits my needs perfectly really, I'm hoping eventually to pick up a second in fact. I found I really love having two cameras on hand, one with the 70-200 mm zoom mounted and the other with a smaller, wider angle lens. Makes shooting events a breeze.

Great to hear both of your comments.

I'm upgrading from a D3200, have outgrown it and really am looking forward to most of the features on the exterior, rather than hidden away amongst the menu's.

I've also treated myself to a Yongnuo flash as well, so am looking forward to getting into flash photography.

Think I'll get used to the 7100 body first though! :)

Most reactions

Back