D7100 or D5300

If you learn to "visualize" where you are focusing based on the angle of your camera, you could put the camera on the ground, angle it and direct it to where you want, and take a photo without looking through the viewfinder or a flippy screen.

After all, it's digital, you could take multiple shots and you're not going to run out of film.

Taken slightly bent over, left side of camera on the ground pointed up to how I was visualling the angle/direction to the subject. Took only 2 shots to get it the way I wanted it too.
KirkInTheHills-3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
KirkInTheHills-3 by stevesklar, on Flickr

Personally, the lack of a second command dial near the shutter makes the D5x000 series tough to use. I am so used to changing settings in seconds that the D5x000 series really really slows me down. That alone makes the D7x000 series the clear and obvious choice. But that's just me.

Jake

OR you could do what I often do and lie down, mash the side of your face into the ground, use Live-View, and shoot away!

I sometimes wonder how they were able to take pictures in the film days without a flip screen.
Same way we do now. None of my DSLR bodies have a flip screen and I've never had a need for one. I think my old Sony bridge camera might have one but I'm not real sure. If it does it's never been moved from where it came from the factory.

greybeard said:
I would love a D7100 with a flip screen. Maybe the D7200 etc. will have have it.

UNLIKELY, I think. In the good/better/best classic marketing scheme of things, the middle-priced product usually is the one that has the highest profit margin for the manufacturer; the flip screen is a very obvious feature that costs very little to implement, but brings a BIG boost in profits to Nikon for the mid-priced product.

The flip screen is what causes many small Nikon buyers to cough up a couple hundred extra dollars for the D5xxx body instead of an almost identically capable D3xxx body. The presence of the flip screen on the mid-level camera also gives the D5xxx buyers a rationalization for NOT having sprung for the most-expensive of the little Nikons, a D7xxx model. All in all, the flip screen seems to work great for a certain type of shooter who likes to use the rear-mounted options for composing and filming. I think on a D7200, a flip screen would hurt sales of the higher-profit, D5xxx models--which are, let's face it, almost the same thing as the D3xxx models, but bring in hundreds of extra dollars in profit for Nikon.

I could just be a sissy. I avoid using the 7100 anytime I think I am going to have to lay on the ground to frame my shot.
The Ground is easy, trying laying on a sand bar at mid tide. Or in the mud at low tide. I do it all the time.. no big deal.. Just sand or mud, it washes off.. I would not trade a flippy screen for 2 command dials. Not the way I shoot, plus I would have killed a few D5K series by now. I beat the crud out of my gear..
Greater Yellowlegs at sunset 1 by krisinct- Thanks for 3 Million + views!, on Flickr

I wouldn't lay on a sand bar in any tide for a photo of a bird. you got me on the beating the gear though I knocked my 7100 today trail walking I tripped in fell. Poor camera hit hard off a rock. And I got dirty. I was pissed.

I went broke at the time replacing my D5000 with a D7000. Yes, both are "less" camera than the current models, but not as much less as you might think, and the comparison between lines is still valid.

It was worth every penny, and every skipped lunch and delayed pair-of-shoes replacement to get the D7000. My FIRST weekend with it was the Blue Angels homecoming air show that year, and I shot 1100 frames, with not a single frame missing focus!!!! 3D tracking was AMAZING!!!!! The D5X00 cameras just don't have enough sensors for that, even though they claim to do it. Also, the 7000 focused faster with the same lenses. Faster continuous shooting, better ISO performance, better menus, pop-up flash can be a controller for off-camera speedlites, dual memory-card slots, second control-dial (making M-mode useful!!!! no "shift" button to set aperture, it's on its own dial,) older AI manual-focus lenses will meter on the D7X00 (D5X00 will mount them but are manual only and not metered,) and AF and AF-D lenses will auto-focus (D5X00 has no in-camera motor to drive those,) and that real pentaprism makes a visible difference in the viewfinder!

I could just be a sissy. I avoid using the 7100 anytime I think I am going to have to lay on the ground to frame my shot.
Not at all, you use the tool that does the job. I would love a D7100 with a flip screen. Maybe the D7200 etc. will have have it.
I love my D5300, got refurb for $650.00 with the kit lens, it works great for everything I do now. Just picked up the 55-300 VR lens from Nikon refurb with and extra 10% off and the 35mm 1.8 prime. Having a blast with my new camera and lenses. I am not a professional at all just a hobby for me. But if I had to choose between the 5300 and 7100 I would take the 5300, learn allot, save your money and bypass the 7100 and go FX in the future. On the other hand if I had a bunch of money to spend I would definitely own a 7100.

DSC_000311.jpg

I really like my D5300, If I could do it over I would have got the D7100, not because its going to take better pictures but it has a few features I wish I had but did not know it had at the time I bought my D5300 or did not think I would want but now I realize I would want.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the D7100 has a auto focus motor built in to the body which could come in handy some day

you can fine tune the auto focus which could come in handy some day,

I guess its got high speed sycn for the flash which is something I think would be fun to play around with if you have a speed light.

auto focus is said to be faster and better, its fine on the D5300 but faster is always better

water resistant.

more buttons and dials but that does not really do any thing for me, I don't feel those are really needed but would probably be nice.

I think you get one extra frame per second, not a huge deal but would be nice.

there may be some other thing too but that is what I can recall off the top of my head

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cant say that I am unhappy with my D5300 in any way, its a great camera I am happy with the image quality, I doubt Ill ever want to dump the money down on a FX body so I probably should have spent just a little more on the D7100, I do not regret buying the D5300, I just feel it would be nice to have a few of the other features even though they are not really needed IMO most of them would just be nice to have but I can get along just fine without them, I will probably have my D5300 as long as it still keeps working.

I though the flip screen would be of much use but so far I have only taken a few pics of my self with it and I used it to record a video, its very nice to have but I do not generally find my self using it for general picture taking, I am sure it will come in handy some day when I need to get the camera low to the ground and I don't feel like laying down. its definitely nice to have the flip screen but if it was not there I am not sure I would miss it.

Most reactions

Back