D7100 or D7200 for portraits?

Supposedly not on d7200. But I never saw it on 71 either

Which would you go for?

If you've owned the 7100 before, get the 7200. Otherwise, you're just going to itch to have one and get one eventually anyway. I've only owned the 7000 and 7100. If I had to by a 7x00 again, I'd probably get the 7100 just because it does everything I need it to. I've never seen banding either.

Is there any logical reason other than improved AF and larger buffer to spend an extra 300-400$? Especially with just portraiture?

For portraiture, no. I used my D7100 for portraiture with the Nikkor 60mm 2.8 Macro. That pairing was a beast.

Realistically, what differences can I expect with a 50mm 1.8G and 85mm 1.8G on a D7100 versus a D7200 shooting portraits and maybe some architecture? Did you ever feel crippled by ISO and banding?

Which would you go for?

If you've owned the 7100 before, get the 7200. Otherwise, you're just going to itch to have one and get one eventually anyway. I've only owned the 7000 and 7100. If I had to by a 7x00 again, I'd probably get the 7100 just because it does everything I need it to. I've never seen banding either.

Is there any logical reason other than improved AF and larger buffer to spend an extra 300-400$? Especially with just portraiture?

For portraiture, no. I used my D7100 for portraiture with the Nikkor 60mm 2.8 Macro. That pairing was a beast.

Realistically, what differences can I expect with a 50mm 1.8G and 85mm 1.8G on a D7100 versus a D7200 shooting portraits and maybe some architecture? Did you ever feel crippled by ISO and banding?

I've never had banding. As you can see from other posters here, they haven't either. The only time that I experienced banding was when I shot so grossly underexposed that I had to pull the exposure up many stops in lightroom, but that's expected. But as far as image quality and sharpness, none.

Which would you go for?

I've never had banding. As you can see from other posters here, they haven't either. The only time that I experienced banding was when I shot so grossly underexposed that I had to pull the exposure up many stops in lightroom, but that's expected. But as far as image quality and sharpness, none.

I never regretted the D7100, I just worried in low light that it would be really bad in some situations. But, do you think the value of it right now is the more logical choice?

For those that don't know, Nikon released a firmware upgrade within the last few months to fix the banding issue. I own a D7100. Never noticed it before the upgrade, but it's still good to know I downloaded the fix.

For those that don't know, Nikon released a firmware upgrade within the last few months to fix the banding issue. I own a D7100. Never noticed it before the upgrade, but it's still good to know I downloaded the fix.

The firmware only fixed banding in 1280x720 video, not stills.

The banding "issue" only surfaced with wildly under-exposed shots dredged up from the depths in post. Avoiding that cured the "issue." If that's your shooting practice, then get the D7200.

With the savings I'd look at the 85/1.8g and/or the OEM battery grip and some fast SD cards.

The banding "issue" only surfaced with wildly under-exposed shots dredged up from the depths in post. Avoiding that cured the "issue." If that's your shooting practice, then get the D7200.

With the savings I'd look at the 85/1.8g and/or the OEM battery grip and some fast SD cards.

I already have the 85mm 1.8G covered. I just don't know if portraits will ever really require that extra ISO performance for 300$ more, do you think so?

I've only once had a problem with banding, even then i was able to remove it in post. Honestly if you're having this much doubt just get the d7200. It to me the noise is noticeably better than the d7100.

Agree, $300 for peace of mind may be worth it. The D7200 is arguably killer value that's rare today. It hits the price/value sweet spot in the Nikon product line. Couldn't be happier with mine.

You already have the D7100. Why not just save a bit more and opt for the D500 later in the year or even next year.

Since portraiture is your main concern why not a used D610/D750/D800e or even a used D700/D3/D3s?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back