D7100 or D7200

GDHLEWIS

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

So Im currently using a D3200 and have done so for 3 years now... and I love it, but as I have come to love it I now also know its limits and I increasingly find my self shooting within those limits IE. high iso.
Whilst this is m only real issue with the camera I do like the idea of having a built in motor and some degree of weather sealing on the upgrade, I live in a very hot and humid climate and have a few macro lenses that need the built in motor to work. My main tendencies are towards macro, astro and landscape, but like alot of other learners do dabble in just about everything. Due to the few DX lenses in my arsenal Iv narrowed my upgrade down to the following D7100 or the D7200.

Is the increased buffer on the D7200 worth it? I generally don't use continual shutter but like the higher iso. Can any one say if the high iso actually worth it or is it just marketing pap?

Any advice or help in making my decision is highly appreciated.

Neither d7100 or d7200 will significantly improve your hi iso ability

Neither d7100 or d7200 will significantly improve your hi iso ability
Agreed, the D3200 is mostly limited by its bottons and AF but its sensor is plenty good.
If you want better ISO you should consider FX
Upgrading to the D7100 or D7200 will not be a mistake if you want faster camera, better AF, better weather sealing, more dials and buttons.......etc but being DX it still will have the pro and cons of DX.

Good luck.

If you want better ISO performance, full frame is the way to go..especially when doing astrophotography. The D7100/D7200 are very good cameras, no question. But like others have noted, neither one will significantly improve your high ISO performance.

Thanks every one for the replies, unfortunately a D600 or 610 are just out of my price range, especially since I would have to replace my two most used lenses as they are DX :(.

You can get a D600 for under $1000.

Thanks every one for the replies, unfortunately a D600 or 610 are just out of my price range, especially since I would have to replace my two most used lenses as they are DX :(.
And that's why from the moment I bought my D7000 I started to invest in FX lenses only, DX lenses are for DX only (yes I know you can shoot FX in DX mode) while FX lenses will go both ways (pun intended).
A used D610 would be your best bet, if not then as we all said before the difference between the D3200 and current best crop sensor camera in the market the D7200 low light performance is 17% according to DXOmark (if I did the math correctly), 1131ISO vs 1333ISO.
Its a nice improvement but not as big as a move to a D610 (2925ISO).

BTW according to DXOMARK the best crop sneosr camera in low light is not the D7200 but the D5500 with 1438ISO

And that's why from the moment I bought my D7000 I started to invest in FX lenses only, DX lenses are for DX only (yes I know you can shoot FX in DX mode) while FX lenses will go both ways (pun intended).
A used D610 would be your best bet, if not then as we all said before the difference between the D3200 and current best crop sensor camera in the market the D7200 low light performance is 17% according to DXOmark (if I did the math correctly), 1131ISO vs 1333ISO.
Its a nice improvement but not as big as a move to a D610 (2925ISO).

BTW according to DXOMARK the best crop sneosr camera in low light is not the D7200 but the D5500 with 1438ISO

Yeah the D5500 is a impressive little camera, no AA filter, good video quality, flip out screen, touch screen, wifi, etc. If they allowed the use of aperture during video..they would have a good camera for shooting video.

To be honest, even with your d3200, the performance is at a place that far surpasses cameras from a few years ago. Some techniques may improve your photos no end.

How often are you at very high iso, do you use in cameras noise reduction or process raw files yourself. I imagine most landscape to be iso 100/200 and macros alright higher, but 1600 iso should be very usable. I know astro does use high iso but what lens are you using??

A lens a stop faster is one stop iso less you can use. I'd see if I could make the d3200 work for me and then upgrade to d7100/7200 for the bells and whistles when I was happy a dx would do the job. Otherwise you may be wasting money

I agree, if you have slow lenses...it may be wise to skip getting a new camera body and get faster glass, preferably fx glass if you want to upgrade to full frame someday.

Thanks every one again for your suggestions, plenty food for thought. I have yet to go and have a play in the shops but will defiantly have a look at the D600/610 as you have all suggested.

I have already started to get FX only lenses after I bought my Nikkor 35 1.8 and my Ronkinon 16 2.0 (astro lens). Unfortunately these two lenses are my go too lenses these days when not shooting Macro so will have to factor in the replacing of those lenses as well.

hhhhhmmmmmm don't suppose any one has a magic spell to persuade my wife I may need to spend more money?

No spell for wife/budget things. I had a d7100, sold it (because of a stupid idea). It is a great camera and I almost immediately regretted selling it. I am likely going to buy again early next week and will likely buy a d7200. I don't really expect picture quality to improve but I do think the buffer and af improvements will be nice.This is iso 6400 on d7100

Lemur by jaomul, on Flickr

hhhhhmmmmmm don't suppose any one has a magic spell to persuade my wife I may need to spend more money?
Do what I do, first I buy the camera/lens and then I tell my wife.
Yes I sleep few days on the sofa but after tons of sucking up like making coffee, washing dishes, cleaning the house.....etc she starts smiling again and I got my equipment I want :)

Ahhhhh only problem she caught on my system and buys stuff I really didnt expect and never thought we/she needs so I get a taste of my own medicin LOL

No spell for wife/budget things. I had a d7100, sold it (because of a stupid idea). It is a great camera and I almost immediately regretted selling it. I am likely going to buy again early next week and will likely buy a d7200. I don't really expect picture quality to improve but I do think the buffer and af improvements will be nice.This is iso 6400 on d7100

Lemur by jaomul, on Flickr

Beautiful shot Jaomul

Most reactions

New Topics

Back