D7100 Question, can I have this camera shoot every photo in color and BW

Status
Not open for further replies.
wezza13 said:
If I didn't know any better, I'd say that the OP is on some sort of a wind-up.

Asks for help and then refuses to take any.

3 million words or less please, seriously if you want to be read you need to keep it short.

I'm sorry you also have an apparently limited/short attention span. Not my fault however...and I certainly didn't see anything in the forums specifically stating that posts must be limited to a specific maximum number of characters for the literacy challenged. Seems to me that most people actually interested in learning (as apposed to the gadget obsessed with ADHD who can't read past a 125 character text or tweet), generally appreciate detail oriented posts. In my world as an artist (photographer, graphics designer, musician, etc), details are a GOOD thing...it's a genuine shame that people such as yourself feel details should be discarded based on your own short comings.

Short enough for you to understand?

3 million words or less please, seriously if you want to be read you need to keep it short.
Someone takes the time and effort to write such a detailed and thoughtful post and that's the way you respond? How old are you?

Someone takes the time and effort to write such a detailed and thoughtful post and that's the way you respond? How old are you?
50, and again I do not need to be lectured to. Just because I am new here does not mean I am new to photography or computers, as I said I build and program computers and will never be the top poster of the month because I have both a job and outside activities. One of which is my joy of photography, the fact is that I solved a problem that actually did not need for me to change either my file type, or buy any new hardware or software. As for the poster, his time was spent lecturing me, not trying to help anyone, this from a guy who just paid 600 dollars for an obsolete used 16mp camera, when a new warranted 24mp camera is under 800 dollars.

OP, As everyone here seems less clever and able you should go to a different forum, one where your brilliance would be more appreciated

Auslese said:
...I solved a problem that actually did not need for me to change either my file type, or buy any new hardware or software.

In other words, you decided to RTFM, in order to figure out how to work your camera's scene mode dial! WOW!

LMFAO at your lack of skill with something as complex as the noob-wheel control on your D7100.

We are, all of us, trembling and breathless,held in utter awe of your impressive troll skills!

You were soundly called out for moving the goalposts two days ago, after being unable to figure out how to work your camera.

Yesterday, and today, you're here with egg on your face, but chest-pounding about what a flippin' genius you are.

You get a gold star and as a bonus, the teacher will let you vacuum out the blackboard erasers after school!

Auslese why did you even sign up to this forum if you're simply going to ask for advise then ridicule people and tell them they are wrong when in fact the exact opposite is true.

You want proof that you don't need to take 40 plus shots to capture one fleeting moment? I'll warn you that this is a longer post so I know that there's a chance that you won't read it.

I have a Nikon D7000 which can also shoot at 6fps and I almost NEVER use it. I anticipate my high point of the action and then fire a burst of 3-5 frames at most. Sports photographers in the film days didn't have 6 plus fps camera's. Most camera's with motor drives didn't get more than 3-4 fps. Instead they knew the sport they where shooting and new the shots that they wanted. They then set themselves up to have the best chance of capturing that moment in just a few frames rather than burning a whole roll of film in 4-5 seconds.

Here's a shot I did at an airshow earlier this year.

DSC_6355.jpg

I was using a 300mm lens with a teleconverter to make it a 420mm lens. This image is not cropped and is just as it came out of the camera minus lighting and contrast edits. The aircraft was moving at approximately 450mph and on top of that was turning in towards the show line. I anticipated what the pilot was going to do, and set myself up to fire a short burst to get the shot I wanted. I ended up with only 4 frames total, and everyone of them was more or less the same. I selected what I considered the best of the 4 based on sharpness, composition, etc (again they where all very close) and deleted the rest. In the course of that day I talked with many photographers who believed (just like you) that because they had the capability of shooting at 6 fps that they could just buy a ton of memory cards, and just shoot shoot shoot, hoping they got that one great shot.

I shoot occasionally with a gentleman who shoots most of the local small marathons around here. He and I had a little disagreement after the first 5k I did with him because he came away with over 1500 shots for 125 runners and I came away with only a few hundred frames. He specified that he wanted three good frames getting progressively tighter as the runners closed in on us at the start/finish line. So I set myself up and shot accordingly. Again I only shot approximately 5 frames of each runner (using single release on the shutter). He informed me that he wanted me to shoot more frames per runner as they way I was doing it left room to miss a shot which is complete BS. I told him unless he was willing to replace my camera/shutter when it died then I was going to continue to do things the way I was as that worked for me. He apparently saw my side as he has called me for other shoots.

He uses the D7100 currently and has to replace both his and his wife's camera's every 6 months or so as they completely destroy the shutter mechanisms in them within that time shooting like they do.

OP, As everyone here seems less clever and able you should go to a different forum, one where your brilliance would be more appreciated
Who would seriously take camera advise from someone that just spent 600 dollars on a used obsolete camera, when a new one with one third more megapixels is under 200 dollars more, and who says that megapixels do not matter? Spreading wrong information like that does not help anyone, it is just wrong. Buying A Used Digital SLR? Wait! 3 Things To Look Out For

Auslese why did you even sign up to this forum if you're simply going to ask for advise then ridicule people and tell them they are wrong when in fact the exact opposite is true.

You want proof that you don't need to take 40 plus shots to capture one fleeting moment? I'll warn you that this is a longer post so I know that there's a chance that you won't read it.

I have a Nikon D7000 which can also shoot at 6fps and I almost NEVER use it. I anticipate my high point of the action and then fire a burst of 3-5 frames at most. Sports photographers in the film days didn't have 6 plus fps camera's. Most camera's with motor drives didn't get more than 3-4 fps. Instead they knew the sport they where shooting and new the shots that they wanted. They then set themselves up to have the best chance of capturing that moment in just a few frames rather than burning a whole roll of film in 4-5 seconds.

Here's a shot I did at an airshow earlier this year.

DSC_6355.jpg

I was using a 300mm lens with a teleconverter to make it a 420mm lens. This image is not cropped and is just as it came out of the camera minus lighting and contrast edits. The aircraft was moving at approximately 450mph and on top of that was turning in towards the show line. I anticipated what the pilot was going to do, and set myself up to fire a short burst to get the shot I wanted. I ended up with only 4 frames total, and everyone of them was more or less the same. I selected what I considered the best of the 4 based on sharpness, composition, etc (again they where all very close) and deleted the rest. In the course of that day I talked with many photographers who believed (just like you) that because they had the capability of shooting at 6 fps that they could just buy a ton of memory cards, and just shoot shoot shoot, hoping they got that one great shot.

I shoot occasionally with a gentleman who shoots most of the local small marathons around here. He and I had a little disagreement after the first 5k I did with him because he came away with over 1500 shots for 125 runners and I came away with only a few hundred frames. He specified that he wanted three good frames getting progressively tighter as the runners closed in on us at the start/finish line. So I set myself up and shot accordingly. Again I only shot approximately 5 frames of each runner (using single release on the shutter). He informed me that he wanted me to shoot more frames per runner as they way I was doing it left room to miss a shot which is complete BS. I told him unless he was willing to replace my camera/shutter when it died then I was going to continue to do things the way I was as that worked for me. He apparently saw my side as he has called me for other shoots.

He uses the D7100 currently and has to replace both his and his wife's camera's every 6 months or so as they completely destroy the shutter mechanisms in them within that time shooting like they do.
The 7000 is however used, which means that some other person does not want it for some reason. You took care of your camera, but again your images would be clearer with a 24mp camera. This is just a fact that can not be disputed. Though some will try to bait an argument. Buying A Used Digital SLR? Wait! 3 Things To Look Out For The Nikon 7100 new is currently a steal because of the 7200's introduction. I might buy a second body myself. What stops me? 36mp cameras that make the 7100 a toy and the 7000 silly.

Last edited:
The 7000 is however used, which means that some other person does not want it for some reason. You took care of your camera, but again your images would be clearer with a 24mp camera. This is just a fact that can not be disputed. Though some will try to bait an argument. Buying A Used Digital SLR? Wait! 3 Things To Look Out For The Nikon 7100 new is currently a steal because of the 7200's introduction. I might buy a second body myself. What stops me? 36mp cameras that make the 7100 a toy and the 7000 silly.

I assumed that you might bring up the whole megapixel thing again as you attempted to do so to me in another thread where as you also where told otherwise. It's apparent that you know all and all the long time shooters apparently know nothing. You sound to me like a teenage troll who knows how to surf the web and believes everything he reads with no insight to the fact that one persons fact is another persons opinion trying to be passed off as fact.

I assumed that you might bring up the whole megapixel thing again as you attempted to do so to me in another thread where as you also where told otherwise. It's apparent that you know all and all the long time shooters apparently know nothing. You sound to me like a teenage troll who knows how to surf the web and believes everything he reads with no insight to the fact that one persons fact is another persons opinion trying to be passed off as fact.

Wrong, you do not offer any info, but I will. 16mp vs 36mp The Bigger Reason Why Megapixels Matter for Photo Enthusiasts | Instruction and workshops for photo enthusiasts

So can you see the difference? Just be honest. http://www.luminescentphoto.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Photoshop001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back