D7100 took a tumble

And I did just that, went full frame.

Well first and foremost, lemme say I feel your pain...I just lost my D90 in a VERY similar accident out at Cedar Falls in Hocking Hills! Mine didn't take the beating that yours did...in fact mine still works for the most part, however my diopter is busted to hell and the flash no longer works. I did check with Nikon's online quotes for a repair, but since it came in just over $300, I've gone with a replacement instead...in fact I've already ordered a used D7000.

So for myself at least, that's the direction I did in fact go...just an upgrade to the next model up from my D90. In my case, money was a HUGE factor because my wife and I are in the process of buying a new house. In fact the ONLY reason I was able to get a replacement is because I was able to sell one of my guitars (I still have 25 others so it's not a big deal at all). If money weren't as much a factor...between mirrorless and full frame alone, I'd probably go full frame myself. I suspect the new mirrorless cameras are likely quite decent, however having grown up shooting with an SLR (an old Canon FTb), a DSLR just feels quite natural for me...at the risk of sounding liked a dreaded gear snob, to me a DSLR feels like a "real" camera. I've used other styles of cameras over the years...super zooms, compacts, etc., and I CAN use them effectively (my little Sony 16.1 mp makes a great pocket camera), however for serious shooting...at least at this point in time...I do like the over-all feel of a DSLR.

Now that said, I do have to add that personally I'm quite happy with the APS-C sensors as well. Even if money weren't an issue for me, I suspect I'd be hard pressed to go immediately into a full frame sensor. If I were shooting for pro advertising or sports or something were a full frame would have some advantages, maybe, however for my freelance work, the APS-C sensors have in fact served me very well. After all, once those pics are printed, framed and displayed in an exhibition, no one (other than myself) really knows WHAT camera I used, let alone whether it was full frame or not...they just know whether or not they liked my work (same goes for my clients as well...as long as the pics look decent, they're happy).

Anyways, again I feel your pain...it's frustrating and just plane sucks! The only real upside is that at least we get to look forward to NGD (New Gear Day) :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back