D7200 body/near sensor cleaning issue

karthikk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All,

Im quite new to DSLR (D7200). While i was trying to clean the body due to some dust particles. Tried attempting to clean the black area (near to sensor and not on sensor, as shown in the picture) using lens cleaning cloth and got some small cotton/thread from lens cloth stuck as shown in the picture. Can anyone advise on how to remove that small cotton thread from that and also would that cause any issues. I have attached the screenshot for reference. Would appreciate your thoughts and sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks,
Karthik

Attachments

• d7200_outerarea_near_sensor.jpg
    d7200_outerarea_near_sensor.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 247
Yeah...that flocking is designed to stop unwanted light reflections inside the mirrorbox..the flocking has obviously abraded the tissue and some of the tissue dislodged from its original sheet of tissue, and part of it has stuck to the flocking...I'd say yeah, try tweezers, see what happens. I really do not know WHAT, exactly to tell you...as KmH queried, "tweezers?" and "hand blower?"...I dunno...I don't think there's a clear-cut regular method except use tweezers to remove obvious "threads". I was wondering about making or finding a small scraping tool, and seeing if you can scrape off whatever there is there, W/O damaging the black flocking.

My gut feeling is that the flocking will keep whatever is on there in place for a long time. My feeling? Remove anything large or visible, and then as to the white stuff stuck in the flocking, just "let it be". That is what I would do. Issues with brand-new equipment often cause a lot of mental anguish for people--BUT they have ZERO actual effect on the pictures; we see this a LOT with newcomers to d-slr with lenses with a few dust specs inside. If you are of a certain mindset (personality type, OCD-like, neat freak, etc..) be aware that one slip can be serious, and that this is unlikely to be any kind of "real" problem.

Thank you Kmh & Derrel. I will try using tweezers. If that didnt work out well, Would that thread on black flocking area cause any issues to the dslr in the longer run or affect the quality of the pictures or any things i should be aware of..

Thank you Kmh & Derrel. I will try using tweezers. If that didnt work out well, Would that thread on black flocking area cause any issues to the dslr in the longer run or affect the quality of the pictures or any things i should be aware of..
On its on probably not, but it would be highly probable that if it came loose it could wind up on the sensor.

There is a gum type sensor cleaner that is sticky and might be able to pull up some of the white debris without disturbing the black flocking. I would think the flocking has to be stuck fairly well to the body. In general I agree the best option for now is to do nothing.

There is a gum type sensor cleaner that is sticky and might be able to pull up some of the white debris without disturbing the black flocking. I would think the flocking has to be stuck fairly well to the body. In general I agree the best option for now is to do nothing.
Not just now but for the future. If the dirt isn't messing with image quality, don't touch or clean it. Screwing around with this stuff often causes more problems than before you started.

TheNevadanStig said:
Dave442 said:
Not just now but for the future. If the dirt isn't messing with image quality, don't touch or clean it. Screwing around with this stuff often causes more problems than before you started.

I was thinking about some type of adhesive, like a small piece of double-sided tape adhered to say, a popsicle stick-, as a way to possibly lift off the white stuff...but honestly, I don't really know if that's a good idea...it might work, it might not. I'm more in the camp of TheNevadanStig--if the stuff is not causing a problem, just do nothing, and do not touch it, do not clean it, just let it be.

huh. my 7100 is almost two years old and i haven't cleaned it yet. i have noticed some dirt in the view finder but i just ignore it. seems real early to be cleaning unless it has been exposed to some adverse conditions without a lens on it.

TheNevadanStig said:
Dave442 said:

I was thinking about some type of adhesive, like a small piece of double-sided tape adhered to say, a popsicle stick-, as a way to possibly lift off the white stuff...but honestly, I don't really know if that's a good idea...it might work, it might not. I'm more in the camp of TheNevadanStig--if the stuff is not causing a problem, just do nothing, and do not touch it, do not clean it, just let it be.

I was thinking of sellotape also but might it end up pulling or dislodging some of the foam with it

Thank you all for the valuable thoughts and advise. I will never try to clean the sensor in & around area until its messes the image quality.

Karthik

Most reactions

New Topics

Back