D7200 Hands on field test (Video) The Camera Store TV

cgw said:
He didn't mention the embarrassing price gap for Canadians: C$1,360(D7200)-vs-C$950(D7100). Suspect that took a bit of the thrill out of the pitch. Could be a hard sell without some incentives.

We alllllll know the drill by now...the camera was introduced like a week ago...at full, introductory retail price, which varies by country and continent, based mostly on the regional distributor's policies; like in Australia, there's hefty,hefty percent price gouge on all Nikon merchandise imported to that place!!!

Incentives? Those will come with time, after the first round of early adopters have bought. We know you know that...you're a Thom Hogan reader...Thom has been going on about the way Nikon has been conditioning its customers to WAIT in order to get cameras at a discounted price...and of course, we know that once the D7200 has actually been in retail stores and available on the web for a time, that the price will go down in stages...and we know that you know that by the time the D7200 is officially designated EOL (end of life) that it will hit about $999,or less.

Want to be the first kid on the block to buy a brand new, just-released, limited supply model? Be prepared to pay full retail..not discounted, End-of-Life prices.

Well aware how photo retail works, thanks. Nikon Canada's MAP policies have long annoyed dealers and their customers. Have talked with friends behind the counters of Toronto's two biggest dealers and they're baffled by the spread, especially with no word D7100 prices will be dropping any time soon. They thought a 200 buck spread was tolerable but not 400 bucks between nearly identical models. They see the D7200 as a hard sell unless/until the premium shrinks, which I suspect will be faster than what "we" know the custom to be.

Wow..."baffled,eh?" Hilarious!!!!

Today, Canon 5D-III, $2,499 at B&H Photo.Canon EOS 5D Mark III DSLR Camera Body Only 5260B002 B H Photo

The first six months it was on the market, $3,499.

Baffling. "NOT!"

That's they way things work. Apparently you're not quite as well-versed on how photo retailing actually DOES work as the people at Nikon, Canada...

Again, it's not what the "other" model is priced at...it is not "the other model"..

Let's think about what is called, "Leaving money on the table," and how a large, multinational camera-making company determines initial retail price of a camera like the D7200, as it relates to existing inventory dealers might already have (D7100), as well as ALL OTHER substitutes and alternativce products, then come back and tell us how two salesmen at the largest two dealers in Toronto know what's best for Nikon Corp, and for allll the dealers in allll of Canada.

Again--this is the first batch of cameras. How does the initial, week one MAP that Nikon has calculated square against the price point a couple of guys who work retail in Toronto want? Brand-new D7200s would be flying off the shelves if Nikon had set initial Canada MAP at $719, right? But would there be any profit margin worth pursuing?

Smaller dealers,and salesmen willing to actually work at selling,can if they wish, use the initial MAP point as a lever, to sell older inventory to bargain hunters. Not every city in Canada is Toronto. There are smaller dealers that need higher margins, and are willing to actually work for the sales, with after sales service. High-volume, big-city salesmen love to sell in volume, and those two friends of yours probably would love to have a super-lowball MAP at intro, but that's against Nikon's own interests AND it devalues existing inventory many other dealers hold right now, today. Again, "Leaving money on the table," by selling a brand-new product at lowball prices the first week the product hits the streets? No, you don't really seem to understand retail across the entire spectrum: the manufacturer needs to make a profit, as do smaller and mid-sized dealers in many different cities. Canada is not just "Toronto", and the two biggest shops in that one city. Again-this is WEEK ONE. Nikon has more than two mega-dealers in one, single city to look out for. The price will come down--but only after the initial introductory prices are payed by the early adopters. This is just business 101. That is the way the camera biz has been run for years. If I want one today, it's full-bore price; if I wait until,the model is two years old, I can get a deal on it. If I wait five years, I can get a used one for 1/5 the new price.

Last edited:
If you dont like the price of the d7200 buy a 7dmii.

using tapatalk.

using tapatalk.

I'm not sure you understand,If one buys into nikon system, a 7dii wont operate nikon lenses or accessories

Here is the big problem camera makers face today, we see that with the Canon 7D II, Olympus EM-5 II, Nikon D7200 and in a way even the Nikon D750

Sensors technology has reached very high peek which I doubt sensor makers will be able to dramatically improve unless some new technology will be found.
This means we can improve processor, AF system and many other things but the heard of the system has reached maturity.
Camera makers will try to find gimmicks like the EM-5 that has 16MP sensor that can create 40MP files or any other good idea they can come up with but at the heart of it they are going to have basically same sensor.
Also camera technology has matured a lot, AF system on the D7100 was already excellent, the one on the D7200 is even better and trust me when I say that and I speak from experience in most cases you will not notice a big difference. Only real improvement I see in the D7100 is the bigger buffer.

D7200 is today best crop sensor camera in the market but (in my humble opinion) so was the D7100, it simply raised the bar even higher.

I think you can go as far back as the D7000. Sure, the D7100 has its advantages over the D7k in many departments, but if you take photos from both cameras and put them in front of anyone, no one would be able to tell which photo came from which camera, especially after artistic post. Much of today's technology is sold based on gimmicks or clever marketing, whichever you want to call it. I asked my photographer, who uses a 5d mkii, how he lives with only one cross type. He asked me what's that? I can only dream of having his talent, but my point is, the majority of the talent out there couldn't care less about the bells and whistles.
Actually if you dont do sports the D5100 which uses same sensor as the D7000 should be just as good IQ and Low Light as the D7xxx family.

using tapatalk.
Hey, hey, hey.............Dont us dirty words here on Nikon forum, you said 7D II, now go home and wash your mouth mister ;)

Yeah but the 7Dmii only is $1900CND vs. the 7D at $1200CND right now--A $700 CND price difference between the model before it--so it's gotta be that much better than the D7200.

Wow..."baffled,eh?" Hilarious!!!!

Today, Canon 5D-III, $2,499 at B&H Photo.Canon EOS 5D Mark III DSLR Camera Body Only 5260B002 B H Photo

The first six months it was on the market, $3,499.

Baffling. "NOT!"

That's they way things work. Apparently you're not quite as well-versed on how photo retailing actually DOES work as the people at Nikon, Canada...

Again, it's not what the "other" model is priced at...it is not "the other model"..

Let's think about what is called, "Leaving money on the table," and how a large, multinational camera-making company determines initial retail price of a camera like the D7200, as it relates to existing inventory dealers might already have (D7100), as well as ALL OTHER substitutes and alternativce products, then come back and tell us how two salesmen at the largest two dealers in Toronto know what's best for Nikon Corp, and for allll the dealers in allll of Canada.

Again--this is the first batch of cameras. How does the initial, week one MAP that Nikon has calculated square against the price point a couple of guys who work retail in Toronto want? Brand-new D7200s would be flying off the shelves if Nikon had set initial Canada MAP at $719, right? But would there be any profit margin worth pursuing?

Smaller dealers,and salesmen willing to actually work at selling,can if they wish, use the initial MAP point as a lever, to sell older inventory to bargain hunters. Not every city in Canada is Toronto. There are smaller dealers that need higher margins, and are willing to actually work for the sales, with after sales service. High-volume, big-city salesmen love to sell in volume, and those two friends of yours probably would love to have a super-lowball MAP at intro, but that's against Nikon's own interests AND it devalues existing inventory many other dealers hold right now, today. Again, "Leaving money on the table," by selling a brand-new product at lowball prices the first week the product hits the streets? No, you don't really seem to understand retail across the entire spectrum: the manufacturer needs to make a profit, as do smaller and mid-sized dealers in many different cities. Canada is not just "Toronto", and the two biggest shops in that one city. Again-this is WEEK ONE. Nikon has more than two mega-dealers in one, single city to look out for. The price will come down--but only after the initial introductory prices are payed by the early adopters. This is just business 101. That is the way the camera biz has been run for years. If I want one today, it's full-bore price; if I wait until,the model is two years old, I can get a deal on it. If I wait five years, I can get a used one for 1/5 the new price.

Feel free to turn off the wind tunnel, chief. oLD NEWS IS N

Feel free to turn off the wind tunnel, chief. Old news is no news and I'm guessing it's been a few since you've been behind a counter. Cool your jets and re-read my post, especially the numbers.

Feel free to turn off the wind tunnel, chief. Old news is no news and I'm guessing it's been a few since you've been behind a counter. Cool your jets and re-read my post, especially the numbers.
what was the price of the d7100 in CDN when it first came out?

what was the price of the d7100 in CDN when it first came out?
I believe 1200$ but the conversion rate back then between USD and CAD was close to 1:1

then wasn't the D7100 more expensive for you when it came out?

You dollar is worth 20% less now today, but the D7200 is priced only 12.5% greater than the D7100.

Nikon could have priced it at $1440CND to make up for the loss of value. So despite your weak dollar, you're still getting a deal.

Last edited:
then wasn't the D7100 more expensive for you when it came out?

You dollar is worth 20% less now today, but the D7200 is priced only 12.5% greater than the D7100.

Nikon could have priced it at $1440CND to make up for the loss of value. So despite your weak dollar, you're still getting a deal.
I wouldn't be calling it a deal, I would say the price seems reasonable to me.
Anyways in 3 months I am pretty sure the D7200 be priced at around 1200$-1100$ CAD anyways.

If I were ordering a D7200 today, I'd rather buy it with Canadian dollars. $1350 = ~$1065USD . But after conversion fees, and shipping it'd probably be a wash.

Most reactions

Back