D750 recalled again

thanks for the advice, Thom.

Still don't know what the actual issue looks like.
If you dont use HSS (High Speed Sync, the ability of flash to operate beyond the flash sync limit, Nikon calls it AutoFP), you will never encounter it.

1. You need to have an external flash that supports HSS.
2. You need to have HSS enabled in the camera.
3. You need to actually use HSS.

I definitely would have noticed if HSS wasnt working. After all, HSS is one of the main reasons why I switched from the D5100 to the D600, back in the day.

HSS allows you to use fill flash in bright sunlight. Thats what I'm using it for all the time. Well, during summer and when I'm doing portraiture.

P.s.: Oh, and instead of HSS one can use ND filters. Only issue though is you need quite a couple of them and select the right one and need time to screw it on. Well I guess a Variable ND filter is also possible.

Last edited:
If you dont use HSS (High Speed Sync, the ability of flash to operate beyond the flash sync limit, Nikon calls it AutoFP), you will never encounter it.

I definitely would have noticed if HSS wasnt working. After all, HSS is one of the main reasons why I switched from the D5100 to the D600, back in the day.

HSS allows you to use fill flash in bright sunlight. Thats what I'm using it for all the time. Well, during summer and when I'm doing portraiture.

P.s.: Oh, and instead of HSS one can use ND filters. Only issue though is you need quite a couple of them and select the right one and need time to screw it on. Well I guess a Variable ND filter is also possible.

so..how are those ND filters going to fix shadows and uneven lighting?
you do realize they are kinda made for two different issues right?
the flash is made to directly add light to fix shadows, racoon eyes, exposure... the ND filters are made to keep light from hitting the sensor so you can use a wider aperture or slower speed without overexposing.

I am utterly confused as to why ND filters are supposed to do anything like that ?!?

All that ND filters are supposed to do in that situation is to lower the shutter speed, so the camer would be able to operate below (or at) its flash sync speed and thus wouldnt need to use HSS. Thus neither the flash nor the camera would required to support HSS.

I am utterly confused as to why ND filters are supposed to do anything like that ?!?

All that ND filters are supposed to do in that situation is to lower the shutter speed, so the camer would be able to operate below (or at) its flash sync speed and thus wouldnt need to use HSS. Thus neither the flash nor the camera would required to support HSS.

I think it was a wording misinterpretation.
I originally understood your post to suggest using an ND filter in lieu of a flash, not an ND filter with the flash in the normal flash sync range.
my bad.

Sales counter chatter here is that D750 "issues" put the brakes on D500/D5 pre-orders. At C$2,700/8,500, why not wait and see if the early runs are duff?

Says the guy who works for Canon...

Alllllways sowing doubts and complaining about the 70-cent Canadian dollar, on every launch of every new Nikon model since...when? Since Feb 2013, right?

I tried to ask my "sales counter" but my computer monitor didn't speak back...

I don't have an external flash at the moment, I suppose I never needed one or most likely I didn't know I needed one but thats my scenario as of now.

Will I ever notice this problem could it affect shooting in Ch or at fast shutter speeds. I got mine in September last haven't done much as of yet 1330 shutter count.

Do I only need to concern myself when (a) I rack up 100k actuations so get a new actuator and (b) I get a HSS flash. Mine is due back so I believe and it would involve me putting it on a plane to the UK.

My D750 is affected but I didn't see the issue in any of my photos. I sent in the camera anyway. I took four days, including shipping, to get it back to my hands. They even cleaned the sensor for me. :D

My D750 is affected but I didn't see the issue in any of my photos. I sent in the camera anyway. I took four days, including shipping, to get it back to my hands. They even cleaned the sensor for me. :D
Those Bastards!

Do I only need to concern myself when (a) I rack up 100k actuations so get a new actuator and (b) I get a HSS flash. Mine is due back so I believe and it would involve me putting it on a plane to the UK.
Dont forget the resale value issue as well.

But I guess you can wait a year or two before sending the camera in, if you dont want to use HSS.

The shutter counts are just guesses. Most shutters usually last a LOT longer than the estimates, but some last less time. Its mostly an issue of keeping the camera as clean as possible, because it is dirt that sets between the shutter blades that will kill the shutter blades in the end.

That means you should switch lenses only as quickly as possible, while holding the camera upside down, not in dusty environments, and keeping the backside of your lenses clean as well (the frontside, too, but for other reasons).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back