D750 - the perfect camera !? ;-)

oh i didn't realize Nikon had specs up ( i don't tend to follow rumor mill). i was wrong on a few things, but correct on a lot of others.

I'm wondering if Nikon is expecting shooters to use ISO 50 and 1/4000 in lew of 1/8000 when necessary? I'd figure they'd just use the same shutter from the D800.

I had to do that before - ISO 50 & 1/4000 on the d600. oh well.

Not a d700 replacement.

Still not a bad camera.

But more like a d620

As a D700 shooter I'm disappointed in this. No AF button, no frame rate boost with the grip, still has an AA filter and a 16 NEF buffer vs the 17 NEF buffer on the D700. The 1/4000 shutter speed is a wash since the D750 has a native ISO of 100 vs 200 on the D700. I was hoping for more. I would have preferred a camera that was a bit more expensive and spec'd a little higher.

Yup, this is a miss for me too. I'm sure it will be a great camera for many, but not what I consider an action camera. If crop mode was 8-9 FPS I could have lived with the reduced resolution compared to the D7100. It should be named the D620 because it is certainly not in the D700 family.. Guess I will wait for the D7200 and hope they don't cripple the buffer... sigh

It's quite my kind of camera, pretty much has everything I want. A light and smaller body (750g, coincidence?), up to 9 stops for exposure bracketing, tile screen, video, much better size sensor compared to D700, carbon fiber + magnesium alloy body(just like my ThinkPad T420i!). I don't really use 1/8000s shutter much since I do street and landscape most of the time. Burst rate isn't a bummer for me either. Seriously, if you want good action capabilities, go for a used D3s or D4. The D750 is designed to be versatile and it is. It's a camera that doesn't satisfy everyone, but a damn good compromise for most. This is a lot better than the "real d700 replacement" that will never exist, which in a way is good, because the D700 will be just that much more special to me.

Minor thing: Wish it had a better eyepiece viewfinder. i personally hate the d600 style viewfinders, would of been nice to have a 800ish style one.

I know you could buy a eyepiece viewfinder for relatively cheap, but it'd be nicer.

interesting ...
My FF dslr has dual SD card slots ?
and It's a Nikon.

A few sites have 'confirmed' the D750's buffer holding 15 RAW shots (14bit) before it fills.. or 2.3 seconds of holding the button.

I'm also a little surprised it doesn't support the faster new UHS-II memory cards. Only the older UHS-I cards :(

interesting ...
My FF dslr has dual SD card slots ?
and It's a Nikon.

shush.gif
It's supposed to be a secret.

This camera has a lot of features that resonate with me. Tilting screen, top of the line focus system, and the list goes on and on. I feel a GAS attack coming on.

Its actually quite shocking for me to read Thom Hogans review of the D750. The same camera that puts me into 7th heaven and fixes exactly the two main problems I had with the D600 seems to be, well, the way he described it this is nothing but superflous crap. But frankly, I dont really get much of an idea what Nikon should have done instead, either, though. IMHO the only reason the D610 still exists is the same reason the D3100 still exists - Nikon cant get rid of the inventory. To me, the D750 is the successor to the D610 and perfectly replaces the D610.

D750: Too Little, Too Late? | byThom | Thom Hogan

I still can't imagine this having an AA filter or a 1/4000 shutter.
Whats so hard to belive about a 1/4000 shutter ? This is still a camera that sells for the same money as the D610 at release. Considering that, its amazing how much new stuff got into the D750 - such as the same AF and metering as the D810, all video features of the D810. For other cameras, like the D5200, such things resulted in a price raise. But the D750 gets it for free !

Well, the internet says the D750 got a new shutter/mirror. At the moment I just hope that means this will be even more silent and vibration free than in the D610, which already was improved anyway over the D600. However, 1/4000 is in the official stuff from Nikon and I dont see a reason why it shouldnt be true.

Maybe the AA filter is actually gone, especially since that wouldnt introduce additonal costs and is consistent - but so far nobody claims so.

But I really wanted to move up to a pro body
For what ? Status ? I'm serious, I'm not mocking you. From what I've seen from the D800 (Havent checked the D810 too much in that respect), I dont really see the big advantage in the D810 interface. The buttons are elsewhere, and more - but not really that much better. For example, chaning the modes is hella complicated and a lot slower on the D800 than on the D600. Yes there are only 4 now - P/A/S/M - but still. And theres no U1/U2 quick selection in the first place. And the ISO button is even more out of the way and slower to press than on the D600. Ugh.

One of my main issues is that I want these damn control dials to be simply LARGER so I can scroll them easier and quicker.

I would like the camera to be easier controllable by a single right hand. Especially the ISO button is completely out of the way and really complicated to press, thats positively stupid. Worse, theres an INFO button in the same place on the D750 now.

I do NOT want to use the two control dials during review, EVER. Drives me nuts on the D600 all the time, even worse when it was for some reason initially displaying the last image shot all the time and you couldnt use the camera right away after a picture, because it was in review mode. The backside control dial should change Aperture, ALWAYS. Or change the Aperture/Shutter balance in P mode, respectively. Unless I really press another button to change that. The front dial should change Shutter speed, ALWAYS, unless, again, I'm currently pressing some other button to change that. And I want a third, dedicated dial for Exposure Correction, not press another button to make backside control dial into an exposure correction dial. If you absolutely want to give me a dial for review, make a dedicated one. But frankly I dont need them.

I want to dualpress the ISO button to enable/disable Auto ISO. I want to press ISO and move the back command dial to move the lower barrier (minimum ISO), which is is just what it is right now, and move the front command dial to move the upper barrier (maximum ISO) of Auto ISO.

And why the frak do we get TWO info buttons, anyway ? Whats the idea behind that ?!? The D600 only has one, btw, this is a question about the D750 - and my old D5100, which also had two, god knows why.

Also, I would like to get rid of this superflous shoulder display for good. Theres a monitor on the back, and we have the information in the viewfinder - we really dont need a THIRD option after that. Plus, the shoulder display is where I want a lot of the controls that are lost to the other side of the camera. Its just massively in the way.

Besides, if you absolutely have to have a shoulder display - arent there new display types now, like in that Kindle, that work without current now (unless you want to change the content) and can display anything ? No need to use LCD for these anymore, so you could display the same info in a much more compact way - or whats my thinking error there ?

Not really sure if the AA filter matters. Most cameras have them, most are capable of sharp photos. The Nikon ones with them removed have more packed sensors. Maybe there's a reason there, I think less chance of Moore with higher pixel counts relative to area.
I might be wrong, but I dont think thats much of a factor. The Leica M Type 240 has a 24 Megapixel Sensor, but no AA Filter.

Correct me if i'm wrong... but this camera doesn't seem to be weather sealed.
Well, feel corrected then. The D600 and D610 have already been weather sealed, and the D600 was basically a D7000 with full frame sensor ... and yes, you guessed it, the D7000 was already weather sealed as well. So yeah, the D750 is weather sealed as well, of course.

The main issue is finding out which Nikon lens is wealther sealed, which is actually kind of a mystery.

You'd need a 1/8000 shutter and weather sealing to be a D7100.
Well, 1/8000 is great to get, but I would have prefered to get (base) ISO 64 (and extended ISO 32) like on the D810 instead, for that little bit of extra of color depth and dynamic range ... also, I prefer a 1/4000 sec shutter thats SILENT any day over one thats 1/8000 and loud.

Again, I'm not knocking 1/8000, but I have gotten over my desire to shoot wide open all the time, so I dont need that this much anymore. And yes there are cases when 1/8000 is better, such as freezing the motion of a waterfall. Would be great if Nikon would give us an electronic shutter, like Fuji just did on the X100t and X-T1 (and will probably add to the other cameras of them shortly, since thats a pure software question, really). Then even for example 1/32000 sec could be possible (at poor flash sync, mind, so rolling shutter would be a serious problem - but stuff like freezing falling water would be perfectly possible). Though the hardware of Nikon might be different, so maybe thats not actually possible.

Hey, that's not a D700 replacement!!!
Correct. Its the D610 successor.

[...] not what I consider an action camera. [...]
Again: correct. It has nothing to do with the D700. Its the D610 successor. Nikon apparently thinks the D6x0 name is now bad, or something.

It's quite my kind of camera, pretty much has everything I want. [...]
This camera has a lot of features that resonate with me.
Finally ! Thanks. So I'm not completely alone !

The d600 is a full frame version of the d3000. The d750 is the full frame version of the d5000. If we continue this trend, then the next camera should be a full frame d7000.

I personally wasn't looking for a full frame d5000. Is Nikon going for that non-existent rich skater-guy market?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back