D750 - the perfect camera !? ;-)

The d600 is a full frame version of the d3000. The d750 is the full frame version of the d5000. If we continue this trend, then the next camera should be a full frame d7000.

I personally wasn't looking for a full frame d5000. Is Nikon going for that non-existent rich skater-guy market?

My hope is that they are introducing the D750 as the replacement for the D610. Bring it in at $2300, and that gives it room to come down to $2000 (where the D600/D610 were). Bring the D610 slowly down to $1500 or $1400. Keyword is "hope." I would like to see the price of gear like this trickle down a little quicker. I don't care too much right now, but looking to the future (3+ years down the road), it would be sad to see a maintained trend of entry-level full frames at $1700+ with crippled features.

A few sites have 'confirmed' the D750's buffer holding 15 RAW shots (14bit) before it fills.. or 2.3 seconds of holding the button.

I'm also a little surprised it doesn't support the faster new UHS-II memory cards. Only the older UHS-I cards :(
Nikon Australia has the buffer chart up. It's actually pretty impressive in DX mode.. 14 bit lossless is 48, all other raw is 100! (scroll to bottom) Nikon Australia - D750 -

I remembered that the D700 retailed in the range of upper $2000. When I bought it in 2011, just after the tsunami hit Japan, it was going for $2400 on Amazon. This D750 selling for $2300 msrp to me is quite a bargin. Perhaps in terms of relative spec, it's not as much of a beast as the D700, but you have to agree that the D700 was really over kill for what it's designed for. I think the D750 is like the perfect balance between a DeWalt and Black and Decker. Variety of cool but useful features and robustness, yet not over priced to a point where it becomes unreachable.

I remembered that the D700 retailed in the range of upper $2000. [...]
If you would spend just 30 seconds with reading the specs of the D750, you will realize that this is the D610 successor, NOT the D700 successor.

The D750 does not have a round eyepiece, does not have an AF-ON button, does not have a D700/D800 level quality body (even if the quality was improved over the D610, but its even more lightweight than the later now), etc etc etc.

The D750 really has nothing to do with the D700. Its the D610 successor.

I feel like they'll continue to have a low/mid/high level of non-pro FX bodies to choose from.

The D750 viewfinder is better than the D700, it's just not a round eyepiece, but it has 100% viability over like 95%. the AF-ON is a shame. It has Nikon's best auto focusing system, best processor, shoots pretty fast considering the 24MP FX ( I think that's just the best Nikon can do at that size).

If anything it's a baby D810; it shares more with it minus the sensor and body. It fits quite nicely between the D610 and D810. I just dont understand why it's called the D750 and not the D710.

Last edited:
They also kept the lowpass filter. Why did they do that? All of your lenses will lose a lot of sharpness.

I don't wish I didn't have one.

Based on what I've read at the Nikon site, I think the D600 and D610 owners carping about the D750 being "nothing much" are going to be eating crow in a few months. To me, the D750 looks like the best value and the highest amount of technology available for $2299, from any maker. Besides the Expeed 4 processor, it also has a VERY good buffer in 12-bit NEF mode, which is what most people actually shoot, not 14-bit. For video, the AUTO ISO feature is going to eliminate the need for a ND fader filter all the damned time, and the ability to record uncompressed video to an external recorder is nice.SO is the really nice video control screen menu setup. It has the Highlight Priority light metering, which is NEW to Nikon, and will prove to be a big deal, and it has better autofocus than anything below it, or before it (it has the D4s and D810 AF upgrades). 24.3 MP is a very,very sweet spot, and allows 6.5 FPS with no battery grip needed. If this camera had been introduced two or three years ago, people would be raving about it, but basically, all the people who cannot afford a $2299 body are sour-grapes-talking it. It's a major advancement in Nikon's FX lineup. If more people could afford $2299 cameras, there would be a hell of a buzz about it.

That is one way of looking at it. Another way would be that people expected something different. Nikon rumors we're flooding peoples expectations, with rumors of the successor of the d700. This camera doesn't know what it wants to be. I think they wanted both a sports camera and a video camera, budgets wouldn't them to do two, so they made this camera that compromises on both parts.

On the sports end it doesn't shoot at 1/8000 or 8fps.

On the video end it doesn't shoot 4k.

Nikon can probably come out with more advance features in the D750 but then what would be the price point? How much less people can afford it? How much more people will complain that it's overpriced and etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The complainers don't matter. If you go over peoples heads with prices they won't be able to afford it no-matter how much they want it. The more bodies you move, the more lenses & accessories you sell. From a business standpoint it makes sense.

Wikipedia lists the D750 as D700 successor ... haha, fools !

Nikon D750 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, nice to see Derrel agrees with me ... though he likes the D750 for different reasons.

I'm not too much invested into video (and from what I hear from videographers, cameras like the GH4 would be much better options for video anyway, for example 10 bit AND 4K Video AND touchscreen with touch-focus and magnification AND best non-DSLR autofocus meaning you can use that AF during video as well, which isnt possible with DSLRs).

And highlight metering ... not sure how good that one will be.

And it doesn’t have a 10 pin connection. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back