D750 - the perfect camera !? ;-)

Does that mean that the camera exposes for the subject? What if you want to expose for the background? Though i thought that we already have highlight metering on the focus points? It seems like a feature that is more useful for on the fly video and not really for photography.

Right now I have a D7100 for a dx format camera and I Love the quality and feel of it and the extremely sharp images. I have a D610 for a knock around fx camera and it is a great feeling and versatile camera for what I need it for. And I have a D810 for my professional jobs that require the best quality. With these three variations I have no need for what I've read about the 750....Anyone want to trade me all three of these bodies for a new D4s?....NOT!

Meh. Not excited as it's missing features I want. I'm not in a rush to go FX, so I can wait to see what the Df II is going to have as far as AF, etc.

On a separate note does anyone know if the Nikon wifi app will geotag images while connected to a phone?

Sent from my iPhone using Telekenisisisisis

I feel like they'll continue to have a low/mid/high level of non-pro FX bodies to choose from.

The D750 viewfinder is better than the D700, it's just not a round eyepiece, but it has 100% viability over like 95%. the AF-ON is a shame. It has Nikon's best auto focusing system, best processor, shoots pretty fast considering the 24MP FX ( I think that's just the best Nikon can do at that size).

If anything it's a baby D810; it shares more with it minus the sensor and body. It fits quite nicely between the D610 and D810. I just dont understand why it's called the D750 and not the D710.
From another thread, Iearned that the d800's round eyepiece is just a round eyepiece in *front* of a square eyepiece below it. I have a 3rd party round eyepiece now, which is in front of the square one below it. Same thing I guess ...

Not excited as it's missing features I want.
Oh ?! And which features would that be ?

GPS and AF-ON, specifically. I would say the Df sensor... Would have put an order in the day it came out had it had wifi, GPS, and 51 pt AF.

I travel a lot so GPS is very handy for me. The dongle I use on my D7000 is annoying and would rather not have to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Telekenisisisisis

Its actually quite shocking for me to read Thom Hogans review of the D750. The same camera that puts me into 7th heaven and fixes exactly the two main problems I had with the D600 seems to be, well, the way he described it this is nothing but superflous crap. But frankly, I dont really get much of an idea what Nikon should have done instead, either, though. IMHO the only reason the D610 still exists is the same reason the D3100 still exists - Nikon cant get rid of the inventory. To me, the D750 is the successor to the D610 and perfectly replaces the D610.

D750: Too Little, Too Late? | byThom | Thom Hogan

I still can't imagine this having an AA filter or a 1/4000 shutter.
Whats so hard to belive about a 1/4000 shutter ? This is still a camera that sells for the same money as the D610 at release. Considering that, its amazing how much new stuff got into the D750 - such as the same AF and metering as the D810, all video features of the D810. For other cameras, like the D5200, such things resulted in a price raise. But the D750 gets it for free !

Well, the internet says the D750 got a new shutter/mirror. At the moment I just hope that means this will be even more silent and vibration free than in the D610, which already was improved anyway over the D600. However, 1/4000 is in the official stuff from Nikon and I dont see a reason why it shouldnt be true.

Maybe the AA filter is actually gone, especially since that wouldnt introduce additonal costs and is consistent - but so far nobody claims so.

But I really wanted to move up to a pro body
For what ? Status ? I'm serious, I'm not mocking you. From what I've seen from the D800 (Havent checked the D810 too much in that respect), I dont really see the big advantage in the D810 interface. The buttons are elsewhere, and more - but not really that much better. For example, chaning the modes is hella complicated and a lot slower on the D800 than on the D600. Yes there are only 4 now - P/A/S/M - but still. And theres no U1/U2 quick selection in the first place. And the ISO button is even more out of the way and slower to press than on the D600. Ugh.

One of my main issues is that I want these damn control dials to be simply LARGER so I can scroll them easier and quicker.

I would like the camera to be easier controllable by a single right hand. Especially the ISO button is completely out of the way and really complicated to press, thats positively stupid. Worse, theres an INFO button in the same place on the D750 now.

I do NOT want to use the two control dials during review, EVER. Drives me nuts on the D600 all the time, even worse when it was for some reason initially displaying the last image shot all the time and you couldnt use the camera right away after a picture, because it was in review mode. The backside control dial should change Aperture, ALWAYS. Or change the Aperture/Shutter balance in P mode, respectively. Unless I really press another button to change that. The front dial should change Shutter speed, ALWAYS, unless, again, I'm currently pressing some other button to change that. And I want a third, dedicated dial for Exposure Correction, not press another button to make backside control dial into an exposure correction dial. If you absolutely want to give me a dial for review, make a dedicated one. But frankly I dont need them.

I want to dualpress the ISO button to enable/disable Auto ISO. I want to press ISO and move the back command dial to move the lower barrier (minimum ISO), which is is just what it is right now, and move the front command dial to move the upper barrier (maximum ISO) of Auto ISO.

And why the frak do we get TWO info buttons, anyway ? Whats the idea behind that ?!? The D600 only has one, btw, this is a question about the D750 - and my old D5100, which also had two, god knows why.

Also, I would like to get rid of this superflous shoulder display for good. Theres a monitor on the back, and we have the information in the viewfinder - we really dont need a THIRD option after that. Plus, the shoulder display is where I want a lot of the controls that are lost to the other side of the camera. Its just massively in the way.

Besides, if you absolutely have to have a shoulder display - arent there new display types now, like in that Kindle, that work without current now (unless you want to change the content) and can display anything ? No need to use LCD for these anymore, so you could display the same info in a much more compact way - or whats my thinking error there ?

Not really sure if the AA filter matters. Most cameras have them, most are capable of sharp photos. The Nikon ones with them removed have more packed sensors. Maybe there's a reason there, I think less chance of Moore with higher pixel counts relative to area.
I might be wrong, but I dont think thats much of a factor. The Leica M Type 240 has a 24 Megapixel Sensor, but no AA Filter.

Correct me if i'm wrong... but this camera doesn't seem to be weather sealed.
Well, feel corrected then. The D600 and D610 have already been weather sealed, and the D600 was basically a D7000 with full frame sensor ... and yes, you guessed it, the D7000 was already weather sealed as well. So yeah, the D750 is weather sealed as well, of course.

The main issue is finding out which Nikon lens is wealther sealed, which is actually kind of a mystery.

You'd need a 1/8000 shutter and weather sealing to be a D7100.
Well, 1/8000 is great to get, but I would have prefered to get (base) ISO 64 (and extended ISO 32) like on the D810 instead, for that little bit of extra of color depth and dynamic range ... also, I prefer a 1/4000 sec shutter thats SILENT any day over one thats 1/8000 and loud.

Again, I'm not knocking 1/8000, but I have gotten over my desire to shoot wide open all the time, so I dont need that this much anymore. And yes there are cases when 1/8000 is better, such as freezing the motion of a waterfall. Would be great if Nikon would give us an electronic shutter, like Fuji just did on the X100t and X-T1 (and will probably add to the other cameras of them shortly, since thats a pure software question, really). Then even for example 1/32000 sec could be possible (at poor flash sync, mind, so rolling shutter would be a serious problem - but stuff like freezing falling water would be perfectly possible). Though the hardware of Nikon might be different, so maybe thats not actually possible.

Hey, that's not a D700 replacement!!!
Correct. Its the D610 successor.

[...] not what I consider an action camera. [...]
Again: correct. It has nothing to do with the D700. Its the D610 successor. Nikon apparently thinks the D6x0 name is now bad, or something.

It's quite my kind of camera, pretty much has everything I want. [...]
This camera has a lot of features that resonate with me.
Finally ! Thanks. So I'm not completely alone !

I guess it boils down to user preferences.
I have my preferences
you have yours
I've tried a camera with the pro button layout. I loved it.
I prefer it over my d7000 and my larger bodied d600 similar button layout.

Well, I dont actually love neither the D600/D750 layout, nor the D8x0 one. I have accepted that Nikon just doesnt have the best of interfaces. Overall I prefer the D600 one though. At a certain point, I just dont see the appeal of even more buttons.

The D700's viewfinder image quality is very good, but not "truly excellent". The last time I was in the market for a new body, I compared the D700 with the D3s and the D3x and D800. The D700 is just not quite up to the level of some of the other Nikon cameras. It's not just "the eyepiece" that's at issue; the pentaprism and viewfinder screen are also a factor, a major factor, in how good the viewfinder image is overall. The most-expensive cameras from Nikon have the most money sunk into the pentaprism and total viewfinder system. There's a difference between "very good" and "truly excellent". And it costs several thousand dollars more to get to "truly excellent".

Some people, like me, rely on the eye-level viewfinder for focus ascertainment and for visual confirmation of shot/composition/time to shoot; other people use the viewfinder in a different way, relying much more on AF for focusing, and shooting different things, differently.

To me, the baby Nikons are almost like shooting blind; I cannot see squat through the D3xxx or D5xxx cameras, and the D200 type Nikons of old were pretty bad too. I think I could live with the D750, if what I've heard about the viewfinder image proves true for me. I see Thom Hogan's dismissal of it as typical of the high-liner guy who has multiple D800s and who can afford to move to his D4 when he needs more speed, and who has the best of everything. He's pretty much lost his status as a touchstone for the "regular guy" point of view.

Last edited:
The D700's viewfinder image quality is very good, but not "truly excellent". The last time I was in the market for a new body, I compared the D700 with the D3s and the D3x and D800. The D700 is just not quite up to the level of some of the other Nikon cameras. It's not just "the eyepiece" that's at issue; the pentaprism and viewfinder screen are also a factor, a major factor, in how good the viewfinder image is overall. The most-expensive cameras from Nikon have the most money sunk into the pentaprism and total viewfinder system. There's a difference between "very good" and "truly excellent". And it costs several thousand dollars more to get to "truly excellent".

Some people, like me, rely on the eye-level viewfinder for focus ascertainment and for visual confirmation of shot/composition/time to shoot; other people use the viewfinder in a different way, relying much more on AF for focusing, and shooting different things, differently.

To me, the baby Nikons are almost like shooting blind; I cannot see squat through the D3xxx or D5xxx cameras, and the D200 type Nikons of old were pretty bad too. I think I could live with the D750, if what I've heard about the viewfinder image proves true for me. I see Thom Hogan's dismissal of it as typical of the high-liner guy who has multiple D800s and who can afford to move to his D4 when he needs more speed, and who has the best of everything. He's pretty much lost his status as a touchstone for the "regular guy" point of view.

Must be nice to lose status as the touchstone for a "regular guy"...

He's pretty much lost his status as a touchstone for the "regular guy" point of view.

And yet, in the following he says he preferred the D7100 to the D810 when on safari ...

Chasing Perfection versus Balance | byThom | Thom Hogan

He seems to see cameras as tools. They are either right or wrong for the job.

That's not really much of an everyman solution.

I really despise people who say "Well, just get every tool you need to get the job done as best as possible." The D750 does every job really well, but it's not the best at anything. It's not a crop sensor camera, so it doesn't have the same reach as the D7100. It's not as cheap as the D600/D610. It doesn't render as many pixels as the D800/D810. It doesn't have the high buffer of the pro-end choices. It's not medium format. It's not this or that.

And yet, nothing is as well-rounded as it is right now... Go try telling a contractor to take every single tool he owns to a job...

The point I was trying to make is that he kept going back to the D7100 despite his other options. I was merely pointing out that he seems to recognize the strengths of a body despite it not being "the best" or most expensive option.

Honestly, I can't see how people can be getting all up or down on a body that very few people have used yet. Everyone thought the D600 was amazing and then look what happened. This may be a great cam or it may not be. No one will really know for a few months. I know I won't be an early adopter, but it might have a place in my bag some day.

Then again, I may just spend a bit more and get the 80-400. A lot of people like that lens on the D7100.

It is the perfect camera until the next more perfect one comes out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back