D750 - the perfect camera !? ;-)

The point I was trying to make is that he kept going back to the D7100 despite his other options. I was merely pointing out that he seems to recognize the strengths of a body despite it not being "the best" or most expensive option.

Honestly, I can't see how people can be getting all up or down on a body that very few people have used yet. Everyone thought the D600 was amazing and then look what happened. This may be a great cam or it may not be. No one will really know for a few months. I know I won't be an early adopter, but it might have a place in my bag some day.

Then again, I may just spend a bit more and get the 80-400. A lot of people like that lens on the D7100.

He keeps going back to the D7100 and the 80-400 AF-S VR-G for birds and wildife, in Africa and the Galpagos Islands. Not exactly the entire spectrum of photography there, is it? And as Thom whines pretty much every week, Nikon's DX lens lineup is inadequate, and filled with crappy 18-xxx zooms. Major disconnect here. BUT, as a crop-body cam for longer distance, outdoor nature work, the D7100 is a good tool.

I can ASSURE you, the D7100 is not the best camera for portraiture or weddings...the buffer in NEF mode is pretty skimpy, the viewfinder is very small, and it's not a good match with the best lenses. Sure, the D7100 is a nice camera, as nice a crop-body as Nikon currently has in its lineup. But...is it the best camera for every type of work, or for every shooter? Definitely not.

Standing 35 feet away to do a full-length shot with a D7100 and 85mm lens is vastly inferior to being able to shoot a full-length shot at 20 feet away with the same lens. And yes, he's "down on" a body that has not yet even been released to the public...which makes very little sense really, to be so damned sure that it's no good...

But yeah, if one wants a high pixel density camera for birds and wildlife safaris, yeah...the D7100 makes a lot of sense, even with a pokey f/4.5~5.6 lens.

Last edited:
I agree that this all seems a bit speculatory and premature... Barely anyone has actually USED the D750 in real life shooting situations. And no DSLR is a do it all. D4's and 1Dx's are speed demons. D800's are resolution monsters. The D600 is all that pared down in an affordable package. What I want is a 50mp FX sensor, 87 AF points,17fps, 100shot RAW buffer, waterproof body... And a 14-600mm f1.1 lens with no distortion, CA, etc. Make that and I'll retire.

Bah! I jest. That won't happen for many a years. Still though, let's not get ahead of ourselves.. This camera isn't even out yet.

And yes, he's "down on" a body that has not yet even been released to the public...which makes very little sense really, to be so damned sure that it's no good...

He seems pretty fair "discussing" the specs here:

D750: Some Details | byThom | Thom Hogan

He even mentions waiting to give an opinion until he's used the camera.

For what it's worth, I think it may be the best jack of all trades FX body. Especially once it goes under the $2K mark.

I've tried it. I just don't like the handling. I'm pleased that I got a D810 instead.

Honestly, I can't see how people can be getting all up or down on a body that very few people have used yet. Everyone thought the D600 was amazing and then look what happened. This may be a great cam or it may not be. No one will really know for a few months. I know I won't be an early adopter, but it might have a place in my bag some day.

Then again, I may just spend a bit more and get the 80-400. A lot of people like that lens on the D7100.
Yeah look what happened...it still is.

He seems to see cameras as tools. They are either right or wrong for the job.
And that's all they should ever be.
Its his job. Of course he first needs the right tool.

It is the perfect camera until the next more perfect one comes out.
Thats not the only reason why I put a ";-)" smiley behind that claim.

What I want is a 50mp FX sensor, 87 AF points,17fps, 100shot RAW buffer, waterproof body... And a 14-600mm f1.1 lens with no distortion, CA, etc.
A 50 Megapixel Sensor will probably come soon. I would need 12 Megapixel, or 8 Megapixel if its Foveon like technology. I dont need more, and I rather have better pixels, than more pixels. The Sony A7s has impressed me a lot with its High-ISO abilities.

No idea why anyone needs 87 AF points. I need about a douzen or so, just well distributed all over the image area.

Theres cameras that already offer 60fps, and thats not counting video.

100 shot RAW, dont the big guns have that one already ?

I've tried it. I just don't like the handling. I'm pleased that I got a D810 instead.
The D8x0 handling requires me to repeatedly press a button to select the PASM mode ... I fail to see whats so great about that. If you have a lot of time, sure.

So, a few real world reviews have started hitting the street... And the more I read the more I like it... Which I can't say about the d610 or Df...

Sent from my iPhone using Telekenisisisisis

Someone, quick... permanently lend me $2500 for the D750 body, $8000 for some lenses (Sigma 150-600 Sport, Nikon 70-200 f2.8, Tamron 24-70 f2.8, Sigma 50 1.4 Art, Nikon 16-35 f4 VR), and another $1200 to pay for taxes. Thanks in advance :icon_cry:

Most reactions

Back