D750 vs D500

Exactly my point, please excuse me for the assumption but looking at some of your work you are not a pure wildlife/sports photographer but more of a general photographer like me, for you the D500 might be an overkill, the D7100 is an outstanding camera and will do the job nicely.
I have a feeling (and I admit I can be wrong) 10 FPS, huge buffer or the killer AF is not a must over your current gear.

If I am wrong please excuse me, just looking at your beautiful pictures and saying what I think your style might be :)
No, you're not wrong. You'll have a tough time deciding my style because I don't have one. Or if I do it's simply that I like to take photographs of things that interest me. Birds, wildlife, motorsports, whatever looks like fun. Sure I'd love to have some of the features of the D500 but it's not critical to me. I'm content with what I have and, as I said, I get the results I want. I've played the "Cutting Edge of Technology" game too many times over the years with different things, and I'm more than willing to let someone else do the bleeding now.

Even when I had a Canon 6D at only 4.5 fps I managed some sparrows In flight a dove or two all with the central cross type.So I would say no its not a must have 10fps machine gun or 99 cross type but it sure makes or should make things a little easer and perhaps a better chance of capturing something super fast and we sure do have some fast flyers and fast action sports.

For me, the draw to the D500 is just the combination of all the items. It is not a must have item right now so I will be happy just to hear how it stands up to expectations when put to use.
I am very pleased that they kept this body layout alive for the crop sensor line.

2g's is a bit too much for a crop camera, but i know why it costs so much and it is justified. But i agree with the above mentioned here, these features will trickle down to more affordable cameras.

As for why is good low light performance important ?

If you are shooting in many different scenarios where you have no flash then low light performance is very important.
If low light performance isn't really important then many people can still use 6 years or older cameras at 100ISO and still get amazing results.
I think many would like to get the best low light performance possible from their cameras, if anyone thinks good low light performance is not important and shouldn't be at top 5 important things on their want list then good for them, to each his/her own.

I don't think anyone would argue that it's not important; simply not the most important for everyone. I know you did not mean to suggest it for everyone, rather it's possibly the most important for you in most of your shooting situations.

When I first started this photography thing, I watched lots of videos (after I purchased my 60D). I can't remember his name off hand, but the guy reminded me of Santa Claus :) . Several times in his video he said it was pretty tough to buy a bad camera these days. It's what I would tell my son (often a reference or target when giving certain kinds of information or advice).

In 15 years, your D750 will still be a kickass camera; the images you make with it now won't suck because they were not made with whatever camera Nikon comes out with two years from now. How you use it will likely still be the most important thing. Somewhere around here, there is a pretty doggone good photographer still using a 5DM1.

A general question or thought - at some point will there be diminishing returns with sensor technology? In some folks minds, the gap between crop and full frame in some respects have gotten closer and closer. The decision between the two is not always clearcut until you figure out what/how you shoot - mostly.
Well said, thank you for post :)
In me there are 2 Goodguy's struggling, Mr Photography and Mr G.A.S so far its a stalemate :)
Love my gear and love my photography, both work well together but sometimes I find I get excited about stuff I really shouldn't instead of concentrating at the important thing and thats shooting :)

Agreed, taking the FF sensor out of the equation the D500 kills the D750 on paper, its amazing how much technology is advanced in one year, only a year ago the D750 was all I could dream off and now it seems like while its still an awesome camera it is not the top of the pack in some ways.
it smashes all the nikon and canon, etc., dslr line-up.

BRIEF item as food for thought: Nikkor VR 200-500mm f/5.6 AF-S + D500.

Minus 4 EV central focusing. Massive frame coverage with AF areas on DX sensor size camera.
Lets see best AF system currently in the market with blazing fast FPS and huge buffer plus 200-500mm which on crop sensor is perceived as 300-750mm
Yep if I was into birding this would grab my attention for sure :)

Agreed, taking the FF sensor out of the equation the D500 kills the D750 on paper, its amazing how much technology is advanced in one year, only a year ago the D750 was all I could dream off and now it seems like while its still an awesome camera it is not the top of the pack in some ways.
Agreed :)

Put a killer FF sensor on the D500 and you are getting a dream.........................oh wait thats the D5, never mind, out of my budget LOL

BRIEF item as food for thought: Nikkor VR 200-500mm f/5.6 AF-S + D500.

Minus 4 EV central focusing. Massive frame coverage with AF areas on DX sensor size camera.
Lets see best AF system currently in the market with blazing fast FPS and huge buffer plus 200-500mm which on crop sensor is perceived as 300-750mm
Yep if I was into birding this would grab my attention for sure :)
Hey, are you guys talking about me again :)

I'll wait until about this time next year. By then something else will be coming out and the D500 will be about a third less. Or maybe I'll wait until the year after that and they will be under $1000. Until then I'm getting the results I want from the bodies I have so I'll probably stick with them.
Then it will be out of date, wait for the D500mk2

I'll wait until about this time next year. By then something else will be coming out and the D500 will be about a third less. Or maybe I'll wait until the year after that and they will be under $1000. Until then I'm getting the results I want from the bodies I have so I'll probably stick with them.
I agree, the camera makers always one-up each other from what i've seen. The technology behind the d500 is just the harvest of recent technological advances, we'll see a d500 killer sooner than later, which is nothing but good news for everyone on this forum and beyond. :)

I agree, the camera makers always one-up each other from what i've seen. The technology behind the d500 is just the harvest of recent technological advances, we'll see a d500 killer sooner than later, which is nothing but good news for everyone on this forum and beyond. :)
Not good news for me I wouldn't buy one

Except the D5

I want to know if the d500 has that nifty feature like the d750 of when you press the ISO button that the rear LCD lights up? If it doesn't, then it's a killer camera !!
:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back