D750 vs D810

HeldInTheMoment

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Question as old as time, well as long as they have both been out...

Never-the-less, the choice is killing me! I do a wide variety of photo styles; mostly weddings, engagement photos, and motocross. I want to leave my D7100 for Motocross and get a D750 or D810 for the wedding aspect.

Thoughts?

Both great

D750 is more suited to your uses imo

See, I thought that before but then I read more and more about the D810 and find that to work for my weddings/portrait work better. Then with some of the other work I do, I think the D750 would be better. The D7100 DX camera does just fine for motocross and is weather sealed, so the new FX camera is geared towards portrait work and weddings.

...wish I could afford both haha

I don't think either wouldn't work out, but 24mp files are easier on space, ram and seem to be slightly better at higher iso, also allows slightly more fps.

I'd love either, would take a d810 if given a choice, but your lenses need to be up to task also. 24mp puts less demand on lenses, no point in getting a 36mp cam if your lenses don't reflect the resolution.

To be honest I think 24mp is enough for most things, it's human nature to want more

Thanks for the input! I know my lens are not top notch right now, but they are quickly growing. I just need to continue to get input, advise, and see what works best as I continue to look for upgrades.

The thing that worries me with the D750 is the Autofocus Points, all in the middle of the frame. Does the D810 have them spread out more?

I am leaning towards the D810 as well, but the D750 certainly packs a punch. Though, when I upgrade I am going to do it right...not "settle" then upgrade again in a few months.

In reality the focus points on the d750 are not that much more tightly packed than the d810.

I didn't compare side by side, but there's very little to complain about when it comes to the d750 focus system in use

Thanks Again!

I guess my other concern is one being more outdated than the other, especially with rumors of the D850 coming out and other new cameras. Though, something new will ALWAYS be coming out...

I have the 810 and shoot fashion , portraits etc . And for this I find it a fantastic tool . If I had to shoot a horse race or something fast , I'd probably opt for the 750 ( grant you I do not own , nor have i shot a 750) . Don't get me wrong for my purposes the 810 is fast enough . Great resolution . Have never had a focus issue . Fine lowlight ( i don't pixel peep ). I do have all Pro glass , just FYI .

In reality don think you go wrong with either . Go grab and play with them both , see which one "feels" right to you . Good luck

I have both. I like both. I do most of the portraits with my D800 and high ISO/fast pace stuff with D750. I can shoot an entire wedding with either one but I prefer the color pallet of my D800 .

Last edited:
I shoot events and weddings with my D750
As others said both will be able to do the job.
My second camera is a D3300, if needed I could shoot a whole event with the D3300 so saying I can shoot a whole event isn't the point, the point is what camera you will choose and why.
I would go with the D750 for few reasons.
1.Its cheaper, with the difference you can get a used Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC which is my main lens for events.
2.The AF is supposed to lock focus better with the D750, centre point is -3EV while from what I know the one on the D810 is -2EV and from my experience this is a very important point.
3.I don't need more resolution for events, 24MP is more then enough, 36MP create bigger files which are not helpful for me but would slow my processing.
4.D750 is slightly better in low light, not a big deal but worth mentioning
5.Rumors say the D810 is to be replaced soon but then what the heck do I know.
6.D750 tilting screen actually is helpful when you need to shoot above or bellow.
7.D750 is a bit lighter, a bit smaller and I think sits more comfortably in the hand due to its deeper grip, when you need to have your camera in your hands sometime for 6, 8 or even 10 hours this becomes pretty important.

It looks like you still need certain glass. A macro lens. The 70-200 f2.8. Certain primes are useful for weddings. It is my opinion that an ultra-wide angle lens is worth having for wedding photography as well.

If you are having difficulties balancing the cost of the D810 and the 70-200 f2.8, then the D750 is a *clear* choice.

The *ONLY* reason to get the D810 is for the extra resolution. Please explain, concisely, the situation where the D750 just won't cut it. If you can't type it out in words, and pose a good argument to yourself and anyone else, then you know you want the D810 for one reason: Because you've got it in your head that it's the more fun toy.

I got my first D810 on preorder. A year later when the D750 came out I could have gotten one but I got a second D810. A good friend of mine who is one of the top wedding photographers uses a D750. Better low light and you don't really need the resolution.

I chose the D810 because I liked the ergonomics more. It is a progress from the F100 to D300 to D700.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back