D80? D60? Holga?

...You wouldn't buy a car before test driving it first, right?

Is the difference between a Kia and a BMW greater than what is apparent on the test drive?

Test driving is half of the decision, the other half is the research to know what it all means.

If some of you guys are tired of answering the same question over and over again then simply don't reply to the thread and don't even read the thread. This one had a slightly NEW twist in the two-year old tech vs 'brand new' aspect, which is why I replied. The FAQ thread we have going covers a lot of the "which camera" to buy stuff, if only we could get it stickied. We've tried. :grumpy:

If you knew how many times this, or similar, questions come up, you'd understand.

Not to beat it to death, but I do understand; seems as though you didn't read my original post. As Mav pointed out, there are specific considerations related to my decision that have not, near as I can tell, ever been asked nor answered.

Of course I'm going to "test drive" it; already have, in fact. I also thought it would be a good idea to seek the advice of those who might have further insight. What better spot than the Beginner's Place, I said to myself.

I guess I'm just baffled why someone would take the time to post something so pointless.

Anyway, I do appreciate those who responded constructively. Looks like the D80 will work for me.

Jon

Not to beat it to death, but I do understand; seems as though you didn't read my original post. As Mav pointed out, there are specific considerations related to my decision that have not, near as I can tell, ever been asked nor answered.

Of course I'm going to "test drive" it; already have, in fact. I also thought it would be a good idea to seek the advice of those who might have further insight. What better spot than the Beginner's Place, I said to myself.

I guess I'm just baffled why someone would take the time to post something so pointless.

Anyway, I do appreciate those who responded constructively. Looks like the D80 will work for me.

Jon

Don't take it personally, it seems to be flaring up of late. Beyond the sarcasm and irritability are some genuinely useful responses.

If you know cars at all, I would say you are choosing between a brand-new Accord and two-year-old 5 series. If you can swallow having a slightly less than brand new (technologically speaking) camera, you will be getting a lot more. It will be more satisfying to use and take longer to outgrow. While neither is a bad choice necessarily, I personally would choose the D80 as well.

Mav mentioned the 11 AF zones on the 80 compared to 3 on the 60, stating that there are pros and cons with each.

I considered the 11 on the D80 a major selling point. What are the negatives of 11 vs. just 3?

Thanks,

Jon

Not to beat it to death, but I do understand; seems as though you didn't read my original post. ...

You kind of started it with the remark about Holga.

I've met a couple serious Holga users that do incredible work. I think they'd be insulted by your flippant attitude toward a piece of equipment that has developed an art form in its own right.

As I mentioned previously, I'm thinking about buying a 'kit' myself. No sense in using 2-3k in equipment to emulate something I can do with a plastic box that's overpriced as a one hundred dollar 'deluxe' kit.

Don't ask a pointless question if you're not willing to hear the pointless answers you will likely recieve.

And yes- do your own research.

You kind of started it with the remark about Holga.

I've met a couple serious Holga users that do incredible work. I think they'd be insulted by your flippant attitude toward a piece of equipment that has developed an art form in its own right.

As I mentioned previously, I'm thinking about buying a 'kit' myself. No sense in using 2-3k in equipment to emulate something I can do with a plastic box that's overpriced as a one hundred dollar 'deluxe' kit.

Don't ask a pointless question if you're not willing to hear the pointless answers you will likely recieve.

And yes- do your own research.

I think the point of Holga work is at least in part to diminish the instrument. It's like an artist using Crayola crayons. I don't think the artist would be insulted if you told him he was using children's toys. That's what they are. And the Holga is a piece of consumer crap. Nobody need be offended (besides the makers of the Holga).

2462824069_de9e68dace.jpg

I prefer a Holga to a D200, and it was cheaper too. :lol:

Original link:http://www.flickr.com/photos/dadegroot/2462824069/

I think the point of Holga work is at least in part to diminish the instrument. It's like an artist using Crayola crayons. I don't think the artist would be insulted if you told him he was using children's toys. That's what they are. And the Holga is a piece of consumer crap. Nobody need be offended (besides the makers of the Holga).

Sounds bitter.

--

Interesting. Would make a good thread.

The D80 hands down. While yes it is older it is the better model. To be able to use all of the AF lenses without having to manually focus some of them is worth it. I still have and, use my D80, while not as much since I got my D300.

In pros for the D60 I would also mention the reduced weight...

You all mention the D80 as a better piece of equipment, but when it comes to the quality of the photos, I guess they would be close to identical between the two cameras, right?

I'm very new with all of this, so I'm asking more than I'm answering, but was myself looking to buy a D60. And even though the D80 is a bit older, it still costs a bit more than the D60.

I guess it all depends on the usage and how experienced you are..
But wouldn't the D60 be a nice beginner camera? I personally like the thought of a lighter, cheaper, up-to-date camera, and still, the range of AF-lenses with build-in motors on the market is quite wide, isn't it?

OK, I've decided on the D80.

I'm still curious to hear some input about my previous question, though:

Mav mentioned the 11 AF zones on the 80 compared to 3 on the 60, stating that there are pros and cons with each.

I considered the 11 on the D80 a major selling point. What are the negatives of 11 vs. just 3?

Jon

Although I shoot canon, the deal breaker for me would also be the lack of AF motor, There are some times when a fast prime with AF is indispensable, with the D60/D40, you don't have that option. (maybe some third part lenses though)

As for af points, I rarely use anything but the center point. I guess with the 11 its easier to pick the perfect point without recomposing, and with 3 picking your point is much quicker, but you may need to recompose a bit.

I'm personally confused on the multiple AF points being a problem. I mean I suppose it can be overwhelming, but it also allows for greater flexibility when you want the camera to focus JUST right.

Thankfully you went with the D80 and realized that the tech in the D80 was still more advanced than the D60.

And yea, original replies are just a tad shameful.

Most reactions

Back