D80: Leave it on VS. On and Off?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Kawi_T, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Kawi_T

Kawi_T TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I had my D80 at the race track this weekend and I found myself turning it on and off over and over again. Is it better to just leave it on the whole time? I was worried the battery might go dead but at the end of the day it was still nearly full strength.

T

2. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The current draw on most modern DSLRs is no different in ON than OFF. Serioulsy. While on they'll shut off metering and AF after a certain timeout after which they're effectively "off" or on standby. So just leave it on.

3. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Even my little superzoom running on 4 AA batteries lasts forever. My camera is LCD in the back or in the viewfinder, so it is always sucking down the juice.

I went on a 6 hour car trip to Detroit and left it turned on the entire trip. I played around and snapped pictures the entire trip. I messed about once we arrived in Detriot. I went to a 3 hour (roughly) hockey game when we got there and left the camera on the entire game. I don't have a battery meter, it only tells me when it is almost done. I do have a discharge function if I use NiMH batteries, and I let it discharge for about 2 hours once at the motel room after downloading the pictures onto the laptop and the batteries were still good. I put them in the charger overnight for the following day.

I would think that as long as you are not using flash, my camera would eat battery power faster than a dSLR beings that my viewfinder is LCD and not optical such as on a dSLR.

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The D200 lasts about a week when left on. More if you have a battery grip. Don't ask how I know this.

5. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have the D80 and I'm absolutely amazed at how well the battery holds up. Leave it on.

6. andrew99

andrew99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think the LCD is the biggest drainer of the battery. There is a menu setting which sets how long the timeout is before the LCD blanks, as long as that is set to a reasonable time, you'll be fine leaving it on.

7. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Mine is permanently off unless I push the button.

8. bhop

bhop No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I've left my d70 on for over a week (accidentally of course) and it still had a full battery icon when I picked it up again. I can't imagine the d80 uses too much more juice..

9. andrew99

andrew99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm the opposite -- I have the timeout set to Long so I can take a good look at each shot on the LCD, often I zoom in, check the histogram, check the highlights, etc. Maybe as I get more experience I won't need to do that as much! :D

10. Rogan

Rogan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    wierd cos i used mine non stop for about a day and the 4 AA's ran out after one day

but im assuming its cos i was playing with the zoom alot, bet that uses alot of power

11. andrew99

andrew99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Actually, besides the LCD, the flash will suck a lot of juice.

I wonder how much power it takes for auto-focus on an SLR. It's actually a motor physically moving some gears, so it must take some.