D80, SB-600, two tripods, an omnibounce, a little rum and coke, a self portrait

Micah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally cleared an area for a "studio" today. Then I started drinking. Here's what I came up with. One Sb-600 off camera with an omnibounce. Tell me what I did wrong, or I could do better.

self.jpg

This looks nothing like what I uploaded to photobucket (except for composition). What site should I use for uploading photos?

Yea, happens to me all the time, um, try either flickr or find a nice friend that has full size image uploader

This looks nothing like what I uploaded to photobucket (except for composition). What site should I use for uploading photos?
I don't have any problems using Photobucket. What color space is the image in?

I don't have any problems using Photobucket. What color space is the image in?

You realize you are posting in the beginners forum. WTF is color space. I have a pretty firm grasp on DOF, exposure, etc... but if you're gonna talk like that, you are way over my head.

011_300.jpg

any better?

<snip> Tell me what <snip> I could do better.
Turn your head slightly to your right to avoid the reflection of the flash in the right eye piece.

Remember that 2/3 of your DoF is behind the focal point. so in this case, had you set a focal point slightly in front of the coals of your cigarette, chances are that your hand and ears may have been in focus. The ears aren't such a distraction for being blurry, but the hand is.

Check your WB. Adjusting some of the orange saturation/luminence would help with skin color.

Blow out a puff of smoke before the shutter trips for a bit more drama.

Then I started drinking.
I have often started before shooting to get the creative juices flowing. Sometimes I get lucky, but usually the recycle bin gets filled. :cheers:

<snip> Tell me what <snip> I could do better.
Turn your head slightly to your right to avoid the reflection of the flash in the right eye piece.

Remember that 2/3 of your DoF is behind the focal point. so in this case, had you set a focal point slightly in front of the coals of your cigarette, chances are that your hand and ears may have been in focus. The ears aren't such a distraction for being blurry, but the hand is.

Check your WB. Adjusting some of the orange saturation/luminence would help with skin color.

Blow out a puff of smoke before the shutter trips for a bit more drama.

Then I started drinking.
I have often started before shooting to get the creative juices flowing. Sometimes I get lucky, but usually the recycle bin gets filled. :cheers:

Thanks for the info. I can see everything youre talking about. Except for the "puff of smoke" It wasnt an option given the whole gas mask thing.

<snip> Except for the "puff of smoke" It wasnt an option given the whole gas mask thing.
I tend to disagree. It's like everything else with this addiction called photography. Timing, practice, patience, persistence, trail & error and lots and lots and lots of misses.

Set your self-timer on 20 seconds, with the head gear nearly in place so that you have enough room to take a puff, but don't inhale (the smoke will be thicker). Ten seconds out, begin letting out the smoke, but don't blow it out too quickly, 5 seconds out the timer will start beeping at you.... be ready and strike a pose..... Vouge. :D The photo in that link...... probably +30 shots taken with the camera and about 6 shots of tequila.

<snip> Except for the "puff of smoke" It wasnt an option given the whole gas mask thing.
I tend to disagree. It's like everything else with this addiction called photography. Timing, practice, patience, persistence, trail & error and lots and lots and lots of misses.

Set your self-timer on 20 seconds, with the head gear nearly in place so that you have enough room to take a puff, but don't inhale (the smoke will be thicker). Ten seconds out, begin letting out the smoke, but don't blow it out too quickly, 5 seconds out the timer will start beeping at you.... be ready and strike a pose..... Vouge. :D The photo in that link...... probably +30 shots taken with the camera and about 6 shots of tequila.

This is a Vietnam era gas mask as far as I know. What I do know is that tits very hard to breath with it on. As far as the tequilla goes.....it would probably be more of an unartistic nude........

Most reactions

Back