D80 Single focus area?

theusher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I can't seem to change the focus area of my D80. The manual, as well as several online resources, claim you can change it just by using the Dpad on the back to highlight the autofocus area you want. When I use the dpad, nothing moves, is highlighted, etc.

I am in AF-S, AF-Area mode is Single area, and I'm shooting in Aperture priority. Is the camera faulty? It still focuses, just I can't seem to do what the manual says is possible.

Turn on camera. Look through viewfinder. Move the D-Pad; you will see the grindlines (if you have them on) light up red, and the rectangular bracket move to show where the AF will be centered on.

you might need to try hitting the shutter halfway and let go and see if that works, just a suggestion. thats how i figured it out on my d50

I've tried what both of you are suggesting. (I do keep the grid lines on) Nothing moves, no idea what I could be doing wrong. Maybe if Nikon has email support, I can try them.

Weird. Because thats exactly what should be happening. Do you at least see the rectangle in the viewfinder?

I wish I could disable the silly thing and have one focus area. I sometimes find that I move it by mistake.

I see the whole rectangle, and all the dots are not lit, no matter which way I move the dpad.

On the D70, maybe the D80 as well, the is a slide button on the back with an "L". Move this button to the dot, then use the d-button to move the focus area to the position (center, left, right etc...) then slide the button back to the "L" position. This should lock the focus where you want.....

Make sure the thumb button is unlocked and there is not image or menu on the rear display. Touch the shutter button to wake up the camera if it's in sleep mode, then select the focus box you want. Should work.

On the D70, maybe the D80 as well, the is a slide button on the back with an "L". Move this button to the dot, then use the d-button to move the focus area to the position (center, left, right etc...) then slide the button back to the "L" position. This should lock the focus where you want.....

:hail:Thank you! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back