D80 vs 40D

litlbul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am in a dilemma. I currently have the D80, but I am thinking about selling it and getting the 40D. Do you think it is worth it? Is there that much of a difference to pay more money to get the 40D? Should I just keep it and invest in another lens? I am currently using the 18-200mm VR lens, which has been perfect for me, since I mostly take pictures outdoors of various subjects. I am looking to get the 50mm lens. Please help me make my decision.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum.

What can the 40D do that you can't do with your current camera? It does look like a great camera, but I don't see why you would want to sell what you have just to change....it won't improve your photography. If you want to invest in something that will make your photos better, take a class or buy some good books.

Thanks for the welcome.

Basically, are you saying that the cameras are similar? To my understanding, the Canon 40D's fps is almost double the D80's fps. I am getting into sports photograpy, so that would become useful.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

from what i know, The d80 is just fine for sports photography, i would buy another lens

The 40D is blazingly fast, especially for the price...but is that a necessity? Not really. A good lens will help much more for shooting sports...you will want 'fast' lenses (large maximum aperture), F2.8 or better.

I don't think there's a point in changin systems, especially if you already have a Nikon lens. If this were a choice of first body, then that's something different. If you have some extra money, get a lens.

I have the 40D, and it is wicked awesome. HOWEVER, these people are right... first off, get a fast lens. F/2.8 will be your best investment in sports photography...then look for FPS.

FPS... ahh, yes..the much coveted fps. 6.5 FPS sounds like a machine gun, or faster... but nothing beats good timing. I have used my 6.5 FPS about 10 times. 9 of those times were to show it off to buddies :)

People took great action photos back before I even knew action photos existed... On some of those cameras, you only had one shot, before you had to reload, or advance, or whatever they did back in the flinstone age. FPS is for us lazy people.

People took great action photos back before I even knew action photos existed... On some of those cameras, you only had one shot, before you had to reload, or advance, or whatever they did back in the flinstone age. FPS is for us lazy people.

I'm nowhere near presuming that I take great action shots, but all my sports photography so far has been done with a camera where the burst mode is practically slower than just shooting them frame-by-frame, so everything's been done with the one-shot-per-play-so-to-speak method. The 40D's burst mode has me salivating.

I'm in agreement with Mike and Keith... if you already have a camera capable of say 3fps, my priority would be fast lenses (bearing in mind that good fast lenses tend to be very good even with the aperture wide-open, while cheaper consumer zooms are not only slower but also usually have to be stopped down more for best results).

Once you have a faster lens, then you will be able to make better use of burst shooting. There's not much point having 6fps if the combination of lens and lighting means none of those shots are clear.

Of course, it is not all about the equipment... practicing timing and certain techniques (like panning for some sports) costs nothing :)

I have used D1X's for years. (since '02) Your D80 has a faster frame rate than my cameras but I have never felt the need for a faster frame rate. It's more about timing than anything. I also have a D1H, much faster than the 1X but lower in rez. I can't say I ever missed the frame rate of the D1H when shooting the D1X. I have a D3 coming, but not because of the frame rate. So I agree with most of the above, invest in glass, the D80 is a fine camera, and it's more your skill that has an impact on the final product. Changing cameras will not make up for lack of skill or poor technique. Besides, you are familiar with the Nikon system, you would have a little bit of a learning curve if you changed to another brand. So go grab a 180 f/2.8, 70-200 or maybe even a 300 f/2.8 and enjoy what you have, the glass will have a bigger impact in your product than another body.

Unless there is something really lacking in your D80, I would invest in lenses. The fps should not be the only selling point. If that's the case, why not save for the d300? Just a smidge more than the 40D price-wise and you already have a lens. Fast fps is great to have but like Keith said, timing is everything.

Was fine shooting soccer with a D70. The lens is a bigger thing than fps - and a good fast lens is a long lasting asset that'll outlive the camera.

i have the d80, and am shooting sporting events for my school. the fps is tempting because there are som many times that i have the before and after shots but no good action shot. my problem though isnt the fps, it is the lens. i would indefinitely invest in a fast lens for sports photography. for indoor sports like volleyball and basketball i use the classic 50mm 1.8. it is nice and fast. for football, soccer, baseball or any other big fields you are going to want t fast telephoto. even if there is a lot of light it is nice to get the bokeh. i would keep the d80

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will keep the D80 and buy another lens.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will keep the D80 and buy another lens.

I am always astonished when someone actually takes the advice of people with more experience! Good job, learning is the most important step in improving your photography.

As for lenses... there are many great choices out there. The most popular currently is the 70-200 vr, which is an incredible lens and if it is in your budget I highly recommend it. The two 80-200 two ring lenses (not push pull type zooms) are also incredible. However, with your focus motor I would recommend the 80-200 afs if you can find it. The non-afs will be a little slow to focus on your D80.

The fast primes are also great choices, and will blow you away with what you can get for the money.

Good luck in your search!

Keith

Most reactions

New Topics

Back