D80 vs D200

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by LarryMartin830, May 25, 2009.

1. LarryMartin830

LarryMartin830 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    What is the big deal between the two i been seeing all over the net buy the D80 or D200 my question is why one or the other?

2. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

Go on BestBuy.com right now and buy the D200 for $599! It has been fluctuating between $599 and $679 for the last week or two. I was just on last night was back to $599. I have 2 - d300's and I was tossing around the idea of getting one just becasue it would a good deal.

D200 is a semi-pro model with better build. It also has advantages like full metering capability with MF lenses. For $599 it is the best deal going right now on a DSLR except for someone willing to go with Pentax. But if your set on a Nikon. And want a great camera for a great deal. The D200 is it. D80 vs. D200 the D200 wins hands down.

3. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    ^ Agreed. If the D200 is still $600 at Best Buy, then get that instead of the D80.

4. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Some people push the D80 in lieu of the D40, D60 because they don't have a focus motor in them and some of Nikon's lenses won't AF on them. All these cameras have plastic bodies (as does the D90) and no weather sealing.

The D200 has a metal body, weather sealing, 1/8000 sec shutter, 9 exposure brackets, button all over it so you don't have to hunt through menus to change a setting, 2 command wheels, on and on.

BUT, the D200 was first released 11/1/2005 so it's image quality and ISO performance is no better than the D60. Actually DX Labs rates the D60 as having slightly higher for IQ than the D200.

The D200's metal body, weather sealing, other extra features and $600 price make it a great starter camera people can grow into.

5. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Have a read through Thom Hogan's review of the D200. While you're there, read the D80 & D70 reviews as well.

Hands down, the D200 is a much more robust camera. Don't let the MP numbers scare you, you can still get great enlarged prints from 6MP. If high ISO is important, then neither the D80 or D200 are up to the challenge past ISO800.

At the end of the day, it's a matter you have to decide upon. Good luck.

6. delizo23

delizo23 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i have the d200. ISO sucks. but rest of the camera is amazing! the build quality is perfect. functionality is superb.

HAD a d80. upgraded to the d200. good camera too. but d200 just has more settings and customization. d80 was nice tho. probably better iso than the d200

7. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Probably? You mean you don't know? :confused:

8. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I preferred the high ISO on the D80 over the D200, but it definitely wasn't either cameras strong point. :)

9. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Lets face it ISO sucks on any camera more than about 60 months old now.

Here's a difference; one's metal, and weather sealed, and has a shutter with a longer life expectancy. If you're going to upgrade your camera again next year get a D80 now and wait. If you want something that will last get the D200.

With the exception of a few features here and there, the image quality of the two cameras are very close. The big difference is between the build, oh and the weight.

10. Sachphotography

Sachphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok.. NOt to play the devils advocate but I have used both the D80 and the D200. I went with the d80 for a couple reasons. The picture quality is better. The Higher ISO is less grainy. The D80 offers almost identical focusing capabilities at a cost that is better than the d200. In the end. You can justify going with either camera but it is mostly personal preference.I choose the D80....Others may choose the D200. In the end get the camera you want based on what you need. Either would be fine though.

Daniel Sach
    www.sachphotography.us

11. Sachphotography

Sachphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok.. Not to play the devils advocate but I have used both the D80 and the D200. I went with the d80 for a couple reasons. The picture quality is better. The Higher ISO is less grainy. The D80 offers almost identical focusing capabilities at a cost that is better than the d200. In the end. You can justify going with either camera but it is mostly personal preference.I choose the D80....Others may choose the D200. In the end the cameras are very very close. Either would be fine.

Daniel Sach
    Sachphotography Fine Art Photography The homepage of Daniel Sach and his photography Company

12. ScottWy

ScottWy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have been wondering about a D200. When I bought my D50, it was all I could afford. I thought the D80 was great, and the D200 tremendous.

Right now the only thing limiting me about the D50 is ISO. I wonder how the D200 sensitivity quality compares to the D50.

The main advantage to the D200 is that older(CHEAPER) lenses would allow use of the in camera meter, while they would not in the D80.