D800 randomly changing shutter speed while in manual mode

joholt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had three studio shoots on my new D800 before I had a problem. on the 4th shoot, i was synched with a pocket wizard as I always am to my alienbee and this means shutter speed can't be over 160 or you get a lovely *ok not so lovely* black stripe at the bottom of all your images. So, I'm in manual as I am for everything I shoot, and I set my shutter at 160 and fstop 2.8 (same as i shot before and on my D700 with a newborn shoot) and I take a picture and the shutter speed would adjust on it's own anywhere from 60 to 320 but would not hold where I set it at 160. I could dial it back to 160 while focusing but why is it not holding? Has anyone else had this problem? I will not be able to use this camera with, say, a two year old that is on the move because i need to be able to set that shutter and go. I sent Nikon a message about this and haven't yet heard back from them. Any advice is much appreciated.

Are you 100% certain that you weren't accidentally rotating the rear command dial while you were working?

did you accidentally turn on bracketing???

Have not seen that issue... I shoot manual with flash / pocket wizards a lot. No issues so far! Keep us up to date on what you find out...

The flash x-sync speed of the D800 is up to and including 1/250.

If you're getting a black bar at 1/160 I recommend you look closely at your radio triggers.

I suspect the issue is you aren't yet familiar with your tools features and functions, nor understand at a fundamental level how your tools work.

I recommend you review pages 181 to 192 of the D800 user's guide. In particular I wonder what you have menus e1 and e2 set to?

Why were you shooting at F2.8 in the studio that is ridiculous
I shoot wide open with newborns so i get that beautiful bokeh on the blanket in the background.

I shoot wide open with newborns so i get that beautiful bokeh on the blanket in the background.

And not enough DOF to get all the face in focus :thumbup:
yeah maybe if your POF is their feet and not their face. I didn't come in for for cc on my settings, but rather to find out if someone had similar issues with shutter speed randomly changing. Thanks for NOT answering my question. I'll just look for a more informative forum.

And not enough DOF to get all the face in focus :thumbup:

I am a fan of shooting wide open in the studio.. maybe because I dont like my skin and my ears ahhaha.

288440_4206680450014_2015553399_o.jpg

well, i did a reset by holding the QUAL and +/- buttons and it is allowing me to be in control of my shutter speed once again. It doesn't answer the question as to what I may have done while shooting to change the setting but at least it's fixed and I don't have to send my camera in to Nikon. (just for those of you who were interested in the outcome.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back