D800 randomly changing shutter speed while in manual mode

Still sounds like you accidentally turned on bracketing. Especially if the 2 button reset fixed it...

Kind of hard to accidentally turn on Bracketing on the D800... but who knows! :)

Still sounds like you accidentally turned on bracketing. Especially if the 2 button reset fixed it...
Maybe so. it would be easy enough to do since the bracketing can be changed on the dial now. theres a good chance that's what i did since i was shooting a commercial shoot in an extreme low light situation Saturday night and then Sunday morning is when i had the newborn shoot where i noticed the problem. Thanks for the suggestion. i'm just relieved the reset fixed it.

I just finished my first corporate shoot (all strobes on location all manual settings on camera) with my d800 and came across this forum when I got home and decided to see if anyone else has had an issue with shutter speed changing. It ruined about 30 shots before I caught on to what is causing it. Basically, for whatever reason, if you chimp (look at your screen and zoom in or scroll around to make sure eyes are open etc, the shutter speed changes as you use the controls) I had this happen many times (took 3 times before I caught it and then remembered to check my settings EVERY time I looked at an image.) I can tell you from much experience, that the d3, d3s and d700 do not do this. It seems like the shutter speed changes on the d800 if the wind blows too hard, but it is not exactly random. Anyone have a contact at nikon I can email, because I would like to report this also as none of their other pro cameras behave in this manner.

I just finished my first corporate shoot (all strobes on location all manual settings on camera) with my d800 and came across this forum when I got home and decided to see if anyone else has had an issue with shutter speed changing. It ruined about 30 shots before I caught on to what is causing it. Basically, for whatever reason, if you chimp (look at your screen and zoom in or scroll around to make sure eyes are open etc, the shutter speed changes as you use the controls) I had this happen many times (took 3 times before I caught it and then remembered to check my settings EVERY time I looked at an image.) I can tell you from much experience, that the d3, d3s and d700 do not do this. It seems like the shutter speed changes on the d800 if the wind blows too hard, but it is not exactly random. Anyone have a contact at nikon I can email, because I would like to report this also as none of their other pro cameras behave in this manner.

EUREKA! Thank you for your input!! as far as Nikon contact, i have an account with them with all of my equipment listed and I just clicked on the 'contact' link. I don't know of a contact or email other than that.

wow... that is one thing that kept me from switching, not having a thumb wheel control.

Hi Joholt.

I have the same problem and is more serious than yours.
It happens on all settings, M, A, S, P.
On M, the shutter speed will jump from 1/125, 1/250 to 1/500, then goes back to 1/125. Same thing for all settings. Called Nikon support and will send it back for fix.

Hi Joholt.

On M, the shutter speed will jump from 1/125, 1/250 to 1/500, then goes back to 1/125. Same thing for all settings. Called Nikon support and will send it back for fix.
You have bracketing turned on. It's changing your exposure by one stop every time and then resetting to the original exposure.

Hi Joholt.

dv1930 - check your bracketing before sending it off. I know this is what it was. I was in a low light situation the previous evening and being a newer piece of equipment, fumbling around and somehow turned on bracketing when I was adjusting ISO. I have not had this problem since my reset and I've had nothing but great results with the D800.

You can get Internet advice, or perhaps simply call Nikon tech support free at 1-800-645-6687

Looks like the D800 is a hit.. even with people that don't know how to use it! lol! Remember the thread from the guy who bought one, and was complaining it didn't have an AUTO mode?

I predict there will be a lot of D800's on the used market soon... as some purchasers realize it is an expensive piece of hardware that they really don't know how to use!

Hello Guys,

It's my first post in the forum and it is to thank for this thread,

I run into the same issue on a shoot this Saturday, I was upset because it changed sometime during the shoot, I thought it was by itself but after reading this I'm pretty sure I changed it accidentally! After reading here I went back and checked and of course it was set in the BKT to 3 shots.

Having the setup on top of the left dial is convenient, but also easy to change accidentally, anyway now I know and will add to my checklist when configuring for a shoot

Tks for sharing your knowledge! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back