D800E City Scapes. D800E Is Just Plain Amazing! King Of The Hill If You Ask Me!

Which photo do you think is best?

• Total voters
Please keep this thread going. There's nothing on TV.

I like two from the second post, as I stated; I'm just not a fan of the heavy tone mapped thing. "L" seems OK to me, but I think the lens flare is distracting.

Or maybe we vote, but not by using the easy to read poll....lol

If you are not a fan of this type of photo, then just ignore the whole thread. No need to keep piling on the OP. The OP asked which one is best. He didnt ask for a CC. Just sayin....

If you are not a fan of this type of photo, then just ignore the whole thread. No need to keep piling on the OP. The OP asked which one is best. He didnt ask for a CC. Just sayin....

Maybe he didn't ask for critique but the header of the forum states that that is what the gallery is for:

"
A gallery for sharing your landscape/cityscape photos and getting feedback, including general critique.

I have to say I agree with the majority view here that they are over processed to really show off the very able qualities of the D800/E. Very much a taste thing. Would have been a more honest poll had the OP had a button saying "not to my taste".

I actually like the One Way signs the best, but that wasn't an option, so I voted for 'B'. Best composition IMO.

I understand many want to see some images that are untouched so here is a couple pictures that are not toned mapped or edited in any way other than some raw tweaks. I just reduced some highlights and increased the shadows. Which shows how much DR there is. I could have went much further but I am keeping these as clean as possible.

There is so much headroom on the highlights and the shadows.

p1403995244-5.jpg

p1403995294-5.jpg

These are a million, billion times better than the ones you posted first.

Muchos Buenos

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Infinitely, infinitely better. It's so much more graphic than I think you might realize purely because of the over-the-top lens distortion...for the images presented, the distortion fits. They might could stand a bit more contrast, but with a light hand.

In this presentation, i would pick #2 over #1 because of the action shown. #1 is a little too sedate and I'm not sure the left side of the frame where the trash is shown is necessary, any more so than the right corner.

I'm in agreement with ceeboy14. No 2 is better, just a pity you couldn't have stood a little further back and got the whole of the Chrysler building in to the shot.

Edited to add - These DO show off the dynamic range of the D800/E. A million times better than the originals.

I'm in agreement with ceeboy14. No 2 is better, just a pity you couldn't have stood a little further back and got the whole of the Chrysler building in to the shot.

Edited to add - These DO show off the dynamic range of the D800/E. A million times better than the originals.

I feel the dynamic range in the D800E is so great. It can take a beating as far as editing. I can pull shadows and defeat highlights like crazy and its so sharp.

FaymusMedia said:
I understand many want to see some images that are untouched so here is a couple pictures that are not toned mapped or edited in any way other than some raw tweaks. I just reduced some highlights and increased the shadows. Which shows how much DR there is. I could have went much further but I am keeping these as clean as possible.

There is so much headroom on the highlights and the shadows.

I like #2

@ FaymusMedia, Miles and leagues better, almost SOOC goodness. Given the res capability of the 36MP D800, fundamental operator skills become critical. The camera's ability to graph light includes errant discoveries, front and center. That said, mastering the D800 will make one a better photographer.

Comparing one of the "originals" with the HDR, what is striking is how little shadow and highlight detail is recovered in the HDR. The HDR version appears to be simply the "original" with a tonemapping effect applied.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back