D810 & D750

SnappingShark

Always learning.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I switched out all of my Nikon gear to go mirrorless about 8 months ago - this was for the main reason of weight. Strangely enough, my arm has miraculously improved in strength since it's break (this was years ago), and I am now looking to move back to Nikon.

I have no Nikon equipment ARRGHHH so I am starting afresh, and wanted to check some things.

Looking at the D810, I see that the FPS is kinda low. But is it good enough so I can use it for wildlife photography - birds, cheetahs, and of course, can I take it to a race track for horses/cars?

Should I consider the d750? It has a slightly faster FPS, although I do lose out on that 1/8000th shutter speed.

What else do I miss in the comparison between 750 and 810? besides megapixels, which isn't too important to me, as I don't print.

I'd say the D810 and the D750 are very close, in matter of FPS. You'll have to choose about:
  • Speed: they are very similar (D750: 6.5 fps | D810: 5-6-7 fps).
  • Low light/high ISO: The D750 has an advantage, but the D810 is not very far behind at all.
  • Resolution: The D810 has a clear advantage, but the D750 is not that bad either.
  • Body functions: The D810 is generally ahead, but the D750 has a flexible screen as a huge advantage too. This places teh D750 ahead for several sports situations, for ultra wide shots for skate board, for instance.
  • AF: both very good, with 51/15 AF points, and Group Mode option available in both.
  • Dynamic range: D810 has some advantage, with the native ISO 64, but the D750 is not very far behind.
Area crop modes and shooting speed:

D810:
  • FX area: 7360 x 4912 = 36.15232 MPix [5 fps with or without the grip]
  • 5:4 area: 6144 x 4912 = 30.179328 MPix [5 fps with or without the grip]
  • 1.2x area: 6144 x 4080 = 25.06752 MPix [6 fps with or without the grip]
  • DX area: 4800 x 3200 = 15.36 MPix [6 fps without, and 7 fps with the grip]
D750:
  • FX area: 6016 x 4016 = 24.160256 MPix [6.5 fps with or without the grip]
  • 5:4 area: Not availible
  • 1.2x area: 5008 x 3336 = 16.706688 MPix [6.5 fps with or without the grip]
  • DX area: 3936 x 2624 = 10.328064 MPix [6.5 fps with or without the grip]
The D810 capacity to shoot DX (with the grip) at 7 FPS, at 15 MPix is amazing. Also 1.2x at 6 FPS at 25 MPix is very close to the D750 itself. And the D300S and the D700 got 8 FPS with the grip, at 12 MPix.

So I believe the D810 does offer more, but the D750 is a bargain for what it can offer as well. And the gap between them is not that big at all.

Some of my bird and action shots with the D810:
- Bite me | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
- Cruise Level | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
- Flying | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
- Kitesurf | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
- Pato | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
- Voo | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
- Surfing | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
- Monochrome BIF | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
- in flight | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
- Sleepy | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
- The Look | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
- Ducks | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
etc...

FPS is only 1/2 the equation when shooting at multi-frame. How many frames will it shoot before the buffer fills is just as important. I have no idea how these 2 cameras compare in that respect but, it is something you probably need to research before you make your decision.

Isn't your mirrorless system good enough?

Ruifo has covered the differences between the 2 cameras so nicely that I will not add more to the dry detail.
As a user of the D750 I actually think the D750 will be an advanatge especially considering its much cheaper then the D810
I think when conparing these 2 cameras for sports or wild life the D750 actually has the advanatge, the D810 will be bigger and heavier with the slower FPS 1.5 FPS doesnt sound much but it is a welcomeadvanatge and you shoot it without cripling the camera at all.
There is no argument the D810 in many ways is the better camera but its advanatges are mostly in studio.
Out there the D750 will be in my opinion he better camera and much cheaper.
I can tell you the AF is amazing, dynamic range is to die for. It is hands down today the best general use camera out there and I think for the 1000$ difference between the 2 cameras I would say get a good lens which will do a huge difference to you wildlife capability, much more then what body you will buy.

FPS is only 1/2 the equation when shooting at multi-frame. How many frames will it shoot before the buffer fills is just as important. I have no idea how these 2 cameras compare in that respect but, it is something you probably need to research before you make your decision.

The D810 beats the D750 with eyes closed and hands down, on buffer capacity, losing only to the D4s itself.

Here:
Nikon D750 vs D810
Nikon D750 Buffer Capacity
Nikon D810 Buffer Size

Last edited:
Isn't your mirrorless system good enough?

Don't get me wrong - my mirrorless is GREAT!!! Although it misses out on some of the features I've lacked since switching to it - such as the continual autofocus, built in focus motors, being better in lower light, dual card slots, and this one may sound odd, but the viewfinder!

The number of lenses available to it, also make a difference - from 3rd party to actual Nikkor lenses - there could be upwrds of 200 lenses available for the Nikon as opposed to maybe 80 for the mirrorless I have.

What system are you using? Seems to me focus motors built in or not only matters for nikon

OM-D E-M1 ... Olympus ... I mean it works ... but for low contrast subjects and lower light situations, the camera hunts way too much than it should.

Ya, I think your looking to waste money :)

D810 FPS and buffer test (5fps, 6fps, 7fps):

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back