D810 Dilema - Advice sought!

Trever1t

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
wsgphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK well first I found out that Lightroom 4 doesn't have the raw converters for the D810 so I went ahead and downloaded the DNG converter...another step I have to take before importing into LR4?

Then I had to get the DNG codecs. Done. I can now see my image files. YaY.

In LR I no longer have camera profiles available since I am converting out of a native format. I almost always use "portrait" on my portraits. Is it a big deal, idk!?

What are my options? Start shelling out the $10/month for the up to date versions of SC/LR...for the rest of my life?

What do you do?

Last edited:
I just upgraded to a macbook pro and went to the CC for photographers but I paid for the full year up front. That way I don't have to worry about this problem. My plan was to go to the new 7D MK II and that would have required an upgrade to the CC anyway but I also wanted photoshop as well.

I don't think it's a big deal although for me the $10.00 per month is worth it.

You should be able to set up an import preset(s) that gives you a general starting point since most of your shots are portraits. Use it as your portrait profile.

I'm a big fan of the $10 month. Always have the latest updates available.

Your software has as much to do with your final image as any other piece of equipment you have. Get something that will do the job.

:clap::clap: That's the way to go, besides, having the full blown latest greatest of Photoshop is really nice. Enjoy it, hope you get time to shoot very soon.

No I haven't, like a drug, once partially familiar with a software it's hard to stop using it.

I've already paid the fee for the year but I may purchase lr5 it the newest version when my subscription is up!

And they are still putting out updates for LR5, I just downloaded 5.7 a few days ago.

I found Capture 1 and PhotoNinja to be very capable programs. If you shoot a ton of files, PhotoNinja is slow on handling big numbers. I'm using Aperture right now. When it gets phased out I'll probably move to Capture 1.

OK well first I found out that Lightroom 4 doesn't have the raw converters for the D810 so I went ahead and downloaded the DNG converter...another step I have to take before importing into LR4?

Then I had to get the DNG codecs. Done. I can now see my image files. YaY.

In LR I no longer have camera profiles available since I am converting out of a native format. I almost always use "portrait" on my portraits. Is it a big deal, idk!?

What are my options? Start shelling out the $10/month for the up to date versions of SC/LR...for the rest of my life?

What do you do?

Since you've already purchased for the year, this comment is just for future reference. Take a look at Pixelmator. Originally developed for the Mac as an alternative to PS. Very inexpensive (I think I paid $20 or $25 for it).

Most reactions

Back