D810 Out Off Production

Who else is looking forward to the day when "obsolete", "low-megapixel", used D800 and D810 bodies can be picked up for $500?

Who else is looking forward to the day when "obsolete", "low-megapixel", used D800 and D810 bodies can be picked up for $500?
Nah..it means that my D810 would be worth too little :(
Right now, I'm really jonesing for the new Fujifilm GFX 50s.
*Drool*

There's a pretty active, new Facebook medium format group I recently joined...Fuji has seeded their new GFX MF offerings to a select few folks, and they are turning out some very nice medium format digitial images--shooting in in-camera JPEG mode!

As much as I would really like to upgrade my D810 to a GFX50s, the amount of marketing and moving up would be just insane. A marginal improvement in quality and a stupid amount of cost on the other end.

I've shot billboard ads with a D700 and D810....rant rant..
Ok I want one still...but is it worth it for me?
Nah.

Err ...

1. You can already get such "obsolete", "low megapixel" full frame cameras for insanely low prices RIGHT NOW. They are called D700 and D3.

2. I kind of doubt the D810 will ever be actually "low Megapixel" for a small format camera. The increase in sensor performance and sensor resolution slows down substantly. Sure you can make a 200 Megapixel full frame sensor even right now, but they will have abysmal other sensor parameters, and they'll be diffraction limited at about f2.8 already. So a great 200 Megapixel camera, I'm sorry, but very likely that will need larger sensors, even 20 years from now.

in May of 2005, I bought a brand new 12.2 MP Nikon D2x for $4999.95...today, I could buy a used D2x from the same, exact camera store, for $275 used. So, in 11 years, Nikon's highest-resolution camera has gone from 12.2 MP to 36MP, a three-fold increase. i think you migth have missed the humor in my original post, with the words "obsolete" and "low-megapixel" in quotes as a way to show a bit of wry humor, but it's worth taking a look at the fall of camera prices over a decade-type type frame.

So, in another 12 years, you do not think we will be at 180MP? Canon is already at 50 MP on 24x36. TODAY, I could buy a used Nikon D800 from the same store (the one with the $275 vs $5k D2x) for $1,200 with box, and accessories. The D800 when it was a band-new camera was, I think, $3499 a few years back. Then went to $2999 for a spell.

I have a feeling that within a short time, the very,very popular D800 and D810 cameras will be selling for $500 used; these cameras sold fairly well. The Canon 5D classic, $3,499 when it premiered, is now a $450 camera. It had/has 12.8 MP; today its counterparts have 50MP, a four-fold-plus increase in MP count.

in May of 2005, I bought a brand new 12.2 MP Nikon D2x for $4999.95...today, I could buy a used D2x from the same, exact camera store, for $275 used. So, in 11 years, Nikon's highest-resolution camera has gone from 12.2 MP to 36MP, a three-fold increase. i think you migth have missed the humor in my original post, with the words "obsolete" and "low-megapixel" in quotes as a way to show a bit of wry humor, but it's worth taking a look at the fall of camera prices over a decade-type type frame.

So, in another 12 years, you do not think we will be at 180MP? Canon is already at 50 MP on 24x36. TODAY, I could buy a used Nikon D800 from the same store (the one with the $275 vs $5k D2x) for $1,200 with box, and accessories. The D800 when it was a band-new camera was, I think, $3499 a few years back. Then went to $2999 for a spell.

I have a feeling that within a short time, the very,very popular D800 and D810 cameras will be selling for $500 used; these cameras sold fairly well. The Canon 5D classic, $3,499 when it premiered, is now a $450 camera. It had/has 12.8 MP; today its counterparts have 50MP, a four-fold-plus increase in MP count.
I'm glad I don't live anywhere near your local camera store. I'd be totally broke, but chock full of camera equipment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back