D810 Successor Wishlist

I really want so much to join this thread but honestly I am not a D810 fan and cant see at the moment getting one.
The D750 fits me like a glove.
The D810 awesome camera but is a very focused camera, those who need its niche are getting a beast of a camera, a true pro.
Of course tomorrow I might change my mind and then I will be able to imagine what I want from the next model.

Useless reply I know but I had to join this thread because I LOVE pointless thread, they are fun and cool! :)

I didnt vote in Thom Hogans (now closed) poll "what camera Nikon will update next" but I would say that updating the D810 soon is likely because of the Sony A7r II. That backlit technology for the sensor is defnitely something Nikon would be really eager to get.

I would add the fully tilting adjustable screen. Upgrade to internal processing speed would be great.

Matt Granger on his wishes for a D810 successor:
Highest priority:
1. Fokus: the new D5/D500 one
2. Match the D5 controls

Also wanted:
3. WiFi
4. GPS "to a lesser degree"
5. Better SRAW
6. Touchscreen and Touchscreen functionality
7. Dual matching cards
8. 4K Video

Unlikely:
9. Split screen for lifeview (Focus point at 100% mag plus original frame)
10. Long exposure bulb mode
11. Lower ISO
12. Faster Shutter Speeds

1. Fokus: the new D5/D500 one: I think thats a given
2. Match the D5 controls: Good luck with that one. Random pointless minimal changes between DSLRs in their interface is one of Nikons most traditional games.

3. WiFi: Quite likely.(1)
4. GPS "to a lesser degree": I think thats unlikely. Nikon seems to think the end user in general doesnt want it and its a major battery life drain.
5. Better SRAW: Dunno. And I dont remember what that is good for. (2)
6. Touchscreen: Likely. Mostly I simply need a way to VERY quickly select AF points in lifeview mode, just like I can in standard mode. Touchscreen would be a possible solution. I'm surprised he doesnt mention flipscreen as well.
7. Dual matching cards: 100% agreed. (3)
8. 4K Video: Very likely, and it wont be "dumbed down" either, aside from only being only 30p and only UHD and still not offering any important video features like focus peeking, zebras, false colors etc. Still the D810 is basically Nikons video flagship and I think that will stay. My main hope here is btw NO crop in 4K Video. Getting a very processing friendly 4 sensor pixel to 1 video pixel mapping and hardly have any crop at all.

9. Split screen in lifeview: very specific idea, dont see any technical reasons not to do so, but unlikely, because Nikon doesnt implement basic lifeview features such as focus peaking etc either.
10. Long exposure bulb mode: the film camera he has there has an analog computer, thats why it can do that.
11. Lower ISO: I am not aware that what he requests would be technically possible.
12. Faster Shutter Speeds: AFAIK this would require excessive mechanical effort, thus again this wont happen.

About lower base ISO and higher Megapixels, well I expect to see backlit, maybe copper connectors, base ISO 64 again or even lower, and slightly higher Megapixel - maybe 42, maybe a bit more. Either way people will make a huge deal out of it despite the fact that 42 or even 50 Megapixel isnt much more resolution than 36 Megapixel and we're in all kinds of trouble even with 36 Megapixel on such a small area (small format 36x24mm).

(1): But frankly given the current performance of WiFi, I dont really care. Wake me if we can get lifeview over WiFi and automatic backup in the cloud. But only very slowly uploading min-jpgs isnt something I'll ever bother to do anyway, so one BIG HUGE MEH to that one.
(2): I think RAW, JPEG and TIFF are the formats really needed. RAW for full information, JPEG for final output, TIFF for archivation of your important pictures.
(3): That the D750 has dual matching cards is one of the main reasons I got that and not the D810.

My wishlist? 7 or 8 fps standard without battery grip.

Ya, that's pretty much it. Anything else would be nice to have but if it could shoot 8 fps without a grip that would cause me to give it a serious look

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Shoot, I haven't even outlived my D800 yet, and I'm happy with my D600 also. More frames per second maybe. Better ISO like we all say.

Most of what the 5D-IV and 5DS cameras have... and a little more... in the same price range as the D810 is now.

I can't see myself ever going past the D7xx pricing though!

I think it will pick up the good things from the D5/D500 like the focus system, touch/flip screen, wifi/nfc. And I am really hoping for dual XQD cards.

I'd love to see focus peaking and zebras implemented. No idea why they aren't?

I think it will pick up the Sony 42mp sensor.

They biggest out there wish for me is some development in view finder tech. There are good points and bad points about both OVF and EVF. Be nice to find somewhere in the middle and truly innovate something.

I think it will pick up the good things from the D5/D500 like the focus system, touch/flip screen, wifi/nfc. And I am really hoping for dual XQD cards.

I'd love to see focus peaking and zebras implemented. No idea why they aren't?

I think it will pick up the Sony 42mp sensor.

They biggest out there wish for me is some development in view finder tech. There are good points and bad points about both OVF and EVF. Be nice to find somewhere in the middle and truly innovate something.
Well not 100% sure but I think that Nikon has stayed away from things like focus peaking to encourage people to buy the newer af lenses.

Me I'll be happy with anything that floods the used market with used d810s and hopefully drives down their price to something in a range I could afford

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

My d810 wish list, just 1....that it gets released soon!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Well if you dont actually want any new features on the camera, then what would be the point of releasing it ?

Well if you dont actually want any new features on the camera, then what would be the point of releasing it ?

As long as I can get it in red or bronze, who needs new features?
Lol...that's funny.

I don't care about the features either. Just want to drive down the price of the 810 so I can buy it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Here we go again another pointless thread

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

^^ here were go with another pointless comment.
Why talk about a camera that is not for sale

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Why even talk at all.

Ok
Faster auto focus. Like the one from the D5 with all those tiny points.
4K video
Wifi
Ditch the on camera flash
Dual SD. I'm not entirely sold on the XQD
Sony 42.6MP sensor
Bluetooth triggering for flashes and camera and incident lightmeter.
Integrated LoJack anti theft
Zebra stripes or some manual focus assist

Alternatively I'd like to see more mirrorless options from Nikon.

Most reactions

Back