d810 vs d750 vs d610 af points

My d7100 is set to show 11 also for 90% of the time. If I'm tracking or doing something I want more I adjust as required

I only use single focus point. My nooby style [emoji15][emoji37][emoji29]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nikon's autofocusing systems are color-aware, and distance-aware, and can also be user-configured a number of different ways. Like the "lock-on" setting for example--one of the WORST-named settings ever invented! It ought to be called something entirely different, such as "Acquire New Target Delay Interval", which is what it really is!

When a target being tracked is lost, or when a new target intervenes between the camera and the original target, the lock-on speed determines just how quickly the camera will begin to search for a new target or seek to re-acquire focus. Many people set lock-on to FAST...and then they find that they cannot follow a target, like a kid playing soccer...because they have set the system to IMMEDIATELY seek to acquire new targets whenever the AF area in use drifts off the target, even a little bit, or when opposing players cut in front of the actual subject...

Buuuut...most people think something like, "Autofocus lock-on? Well, crap, I want that setting set to FAST!" Uhhhh...maybe not! Especially if you shoot youth soccer or football!!! Again...AF systems get a ton of flack for their specifications and supposed limitations, but the fact is they are reallllly good now, buuuuuuut, they take a fair amount of understanding and learning to get the most out of.

Most reactions

Back