D850 officially announced, tests popping up

Frank F.

engineering art
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is the place to share links and emotions.

It seems that the price is variating very strongly around the world. I pre-ordered one at announcement.

I am very happy with the specifications!!!

Last edited:
That silent electronic shutter of 30fps sounds interesting.
I wonder if it includes AF ?

Looks crap to me. Possible 9 FPS @45mp and 100+ focus points, small raws and 4k. Very pedestrian

What makes me wonder is that the camera does not get faster with smaller files. She even gets slower. It means probably the whole system is designed to always work sampling the full amount of data and later breaking it down. Can lead to better quality with slower operation, possibly a design decision with better video in mind. RAW conversion with tweaks seems to be very fast in camera, Nikon even claims it is faster than one PC ... But they do not say which PC.

I also like the idea of focus bracketing over 300 shots. The fuzz for a good stack was quite big. We will see how this will work out.

Looks crap to me. Possible 9 FPS @45mp and 100+ focus points, small raws and 4k. Very pedestrian

Which specification could please you?

I will definitely be purchasing one as soon as I have a little more free cash. The D850/D500 combination is pretty much everything I've ever hoped for shooting literally every type of photo.

Absolutely cannot wait.

And the MSRP of $3299 USD is way lower than I expected. Super excited.

I will definitely be purchasing one as soon as I have a little more free cash. The D850/D500 combination is pretty much everything I've ever hoped for shooting literally every type of photo.

Absolutely cannot wait.

I actually won't mind one either but I'm short by $3298 at this moment.
The D500/D850 seems to be a great combo.

Absolutely cannot wait.

I actually won't mind one either but I'm short by $3298 at this moment.
The D500/D850 seems to be a great combo.

I'm short by about $2500 at this point. But I'm shooting 3-4 senior portrait sessions in the next month as well as a small wedding.

If I do well shooting my upcoming motocross race weekend I might have one of these in a month or two.

Now.. expanding my lens collection to be completely full frame compatible is going to take a significant amount of time.

The resolution of the d8x0 line would require me to replace all my FF lenses with newer higher quality ones .... so a very expensive move for me too.

If I understand the fine print you need a D5 battery and charger, in the grip if you want to shoot at 9fps, wich will add another grand to the price :madass:

If I understand the fine print you need a D5 battery and charger, in the grip if you want to shoot at 9fps, wich will add another grand to the price :madass:
Yeah, probably the only feature they pulled over from the D700 type specs. A method to raise the price after entry ...

I watched one of the videos and the dude broke down the costs. I think 7fps is plenty at 90+Mb/RAW file.

The price for the grip is below 400 Dollars. These grips tend to work with 8 X Eneloop Pro Rechargeable Batteries and they work very well with many thousands more shots than the original Nikon Batteries have to offer.

On pricing and pre ordering look here:

Nikon D850 pre-order links | Nikon Rumors

The list price in Germany is so much higher than in the US (3200€ vs 2800€ without VAT) that I consider cancellation of my German D850 pre-order and get a US version.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back