D850 sensor made by who ??????

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is really interesting, if this video is correct Sony or Toshiba are not making the D850 sensor.
This could mean that Sony will not be making Nikon future sensors at all ?
I heard many rumors that Sony will not be making sensors for other companies, so it looks like its true according to this video.

And this is unexpected, its made by an Israeli company owned by Panasonic, it really doesn't get more confusing then that.
Made in Japan by an Israeli company owned by Panasonic.
So this means Nikon sensors are now Panasonic LOL ?
Anyways I am eager to see what or who will make Nikon's future sensors.

Nikon designed, manufactured by third party. This is the first I have seen that listed a company. I have not seen it but they did a full tear down of the camera. I am sure there are identifying marks on the sensor that reveals it's maker.

Edit - Just saw the tear down pics - NRC of Taiwan did the tear down and reassembly. No identifying marks on the sensor from the level they dissembled the camera too.

Of note ; shutter assy is massive, build is all magnesium (main body, front lens mount, and shutter frame).

Can't wait to try the focus peaking option with my MF lenses.

Last edited:
It's 4 gx80 sensors glued together......

No its one GX80 sensor and some software written by an ex VW programmer to report larger pixel counts when it detects a pixel peeper is testing it :1398:

Maybe its a mix of GX80 and Sigmas Foveon X3 technology?? :aiwebs_016:

Does not matter who "made it"...only how well it works in its intended application!

Reactions: alv
Does not matter who "made it"...only how well it works in its intended application!

My intended use was to replace my ageing D600 with a better camera. I swapped the D600 with a D850 on 7 September like I swapped the D3 for the D500 on 4 May 2016.

Both were valid upgrades, because they are better at every task than the camera they replace.

Last edited:
I read an article that Nikon made their high end sensors now.
Thus due to SONY reserving their high end sensors for their cameras for a certain period of time to prevent direct competition.
I'll try to find that article ...

FYI, Toshiba sensors is in the middle of being sold/bought due to the entire Toshiba company kinda going bankrupt due to the Nuclear division having a melt down.

Thus due to SONY reserving their high end sensors for their cameras for a certain period of time to prevent direct competition.

FYI, Toshiba sensors is in the middle of being sold/bought due to the entire Toshiba company kinda going bankrupt due to the Nuclear division having a melt down.
D850 sensor is made by an Israeli company called TowerJazz, made in Japan, Panasonic is a share holder in TowerJazz so we can almost say Nikon has a Panasonic sensor in it LOL
Israel is one of the world biggest high-tech courtiers in the wold so its not surprising they can make such amazing sensor.

D850 sensor is made by an Israeli company called TowerJazz, made in Japan, Panasonic is a share holder in TowerJazz so we can almost say Nikon has a Panasonic sensor in it LOL
Israel is one of the world biggest high-tech courtiers in the wold so its not surprising they can make such amazing sensor.
ok, but it was interesting why Nikon had to make and not buy the sensor. I'll still look for the article when I get a chance.

ok, but it was interesting why Nikon had to make and not buy the sensor. I'll still look for the article when I get a chance.
I can only guess, the only companies that make FF sensor are Canon and Sony so since Sony will not sell its sensors anymore Nikon was forced to find other options

Most reactions

New Topics

Back