D90 books - worth it?

maineiac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just bought a D90 :headbang: and itching to learn how to properly use this wonderful piece of equipment.

I'm at the bookstore and there are several books to teach a person how to master their D90: Nikon D90 For Dummies ($29.99), David Busch's Nikon D90 ($29.99), and the Nikon D90 Digital Field Guide by J. Dennis Thomas ($19.99).

Is buying one of these worth it? Or can I get most of what these books include via the manual and resources on the web? I'm also getting a free hour-long tutorial from an employee at the camera store where I bought my camera.

Considering free resources (manual and online) and my in-store tutorial, do people think it is worth it to buy one of these books?

And, if so, are there a line of books (...For Dummies or David Busch) that are superior to the others?

Thanks!

Your D90 came with a book that has more info in it than those books have.

The users manual may not be as enjoyable a read but....

I have read a couple of David Busch's books and found them well worth the money.

Books have some great advantages - you can carry them with you about the place without needing a laptop - wireless and power ;)
I would recomend always having your camera manual in your camera bag so that you can quickly refrence it when out and about - this really helps you to learn since you can always check things, you won't learn half as quick if you can't check things because the manual is indoors in a draw somewhere.

Also since youre new to this I would recomend Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson - its a very well used and refrenced book and very popular. It will give you a lot of good info on understanding exposures without being too complex

I've always enjoyed the Digital Field Guide series for my Nikons, easy to read an very helpful.

Here's where you want to go to buy a guide book that is truly worth its price.... Complete Guide to the Nikon D90
Interesting. That looks like a lot of guide. Do Thom Hogan's eBooks have a good reputation?

In other words, is it worth paying $47 for Hogan's eBook (and portable printed guide) versus the $20 guide I could buy at the bookstore?

Don't forget the Magic Lantern Guides. Haven't seen the one for the D90, but some of the others are pretty well written, imho. They come in both printed form, as well as on DVD.

I downloaded a guide for my D80, but it is 160 pages to print, and I would never read that much. I store it on my PC, just use it for reference.

Looks like if you watch for the Magic Lantern Guides, they can be had pretty affordably on eBay.

Also, there is a T-O-N of great information here on this forum, just ask...

Also, before you spend a lot of money on expensive photo editing software, I would highly recommend that you take a look at Picasa3. It is free shareware from Google, and does a surprisingly nice job of most of what you would normally do in post-processing.

Then, later when you are more experienced, you might want to upgrade to something else, but Picasa3 will sure get you started.

Good Luck!!!!!

Last edited:
Don't forget the Magic Lantern Guides. Haven't seen the one for the D90, but some of the others are pretty well written, imho. They come in both printed form, as well as on DVD.

I downloaded a guide for my D80, but it is 160 pages to print, and I would never read that much. I store it on my PC, just use it for reference.

Looks like if you watch for the Magic Lantern Guides, they can be had pretty affordably on eBay.

Also, there is a T-O-N of great information here on this forum, just ask...

Also, before you spend a lot of money on expensive photo editing software, I would highly recommend that you take a look at Picasa3. It is free shareware from Google, and does a surprisingly nice job of most of what you would normally do in post-processing.

Then, later when you are more experienced, you might want to upgrade to something else, but Picasa3 will sure get you started.

Good Luck!!!!!

The Magic Lantern Guides do have one for the D90.

Its really good,

Most reactions

Back