D90 for D300 Trade with friend, HELP.

Pure

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So one of my friends wants to trade his D300 with my D90 becuase it is too heavy for a regular DSLR while waling around. To make sure I don't get screwed, what do I need to check for? Obviously I'm going to shoot with it, and take it to a local camera shop, but what else should I do myself. Here's what I thought of so far.

CMOS Sensor
Pentaprism
Memory Slots
F-Mount/motor
Doors/Latches

The trade as of now would be...

D300/MB-D10 Grip
for
D90/$100/memory card/and maybe a MB-D80
$999/$100/$28/130=$1260ish

hmmm... how well do you know this guy? Grab some of the shutter actuation software and check how many clicks it's had. Other than that, it sounds like you're getting a good deal.

I know for a fact someone that owns both. The D90 cannot touch the D300 in performance, IQ and low light performance and is a much better PHOTOGRAPHY camera.

I personally would not do the exchange, irrespective of this or not. There are no free lunches. Either it is a VERY heavily used D300 or there is something wrong with it. No one downgrades for free... it is simply foolish.

I know for a fact someone that owns both. The D90 cannot touch the D300 in performance, IQ and low light performance and is a much better PHOTOGRAPHY camera.

I personally would not do the exchange, irrespective of this or not. There are no free lunches. Either it is a VERY heavily used D300 or there is something wrong with it. No one downgrades for free... it is simply foolish.

Thats why I was asking how well he knows the guy. I don't know that I would trust someone wanting to trade like this. I deffinately think that the D300 is a much better tool. The D90 does hd video... wow, I can't remember the last time that I wanted to do that with my slr...

Something smells fishy. However, if you do as you say you will do (Obviously I'm going to shoot with it, and take it to a local camera shop,) and it checks out, I dunno, you might be better off.

I know for a fact someone that owns both.

lol, don't think you need the 'for a fact' in there ;)

The D90 cannot touch the D300 in performance, IQ and low light performance

Don't know how true this is either, since it's the same sensor. In fact, I read that the D90 is *very slightly* better for high ISO & IQ. That said, the D300 di*ks on the d90 with regards to build quality, fps, weather sealing etc. Has the 'pro' layout of buttons as well.

I've worked with him for about 5 months at my current job, and most people seem to like him, and in general he's a good guy. Trust me, I'm going to do a full day of shooting with AFS/D Lenes, macro, tele, low ISO, high ISO, every ISO, every shutter speed, etc. I'm definitely going to look at everything.

He has only had it < 3 months, and supposedly < 2k clicks, which i'll verify with opanda.

Oh, and he isn't the type of photography who does sports, so it is very possible, mostly landscapes, and the etc.

I'll also check the Serial # for its production date.

Don't know how true this is either, since it's the same sensor. In fact, I read that the D90 is *very slightly* better for high ISO & IQ. That said, the D300 di*ks on the d90 with regards to build quality, fps, weather sealing etc. Has the 'pro' layout of buttons as well.

The D3 and D700 share the same sensor AND even the same Exspeed internal processor... yet the D3 autofocuses better and more accurately, the WB is a touch more accurate. Same sensor does not equal same performance everywhere.

The D700 and D90 are for different audiences. A D300 is a prosumer camera, the D90 is a consumer camera. Though the sensors are the same, the internal processors are 100% different. The same pictures taken on a D300 and D90 with the same settings of the same pictures gets you 2 pictures that are very different. The internal algorithms are almost completely different.

Yea, but they are only one year, and we can just ask each other to send them in for repair if needed, but I know a Nikon repair rep anyway, so heh.

Most reactions

Back