D90 for Real?

Video? Blech. Sounds like a tickbox feature to me, and yet another unnecessary thing to crank up the price.

But, hey, more power to them if it means I can get a D80 on the cheap :D

I don't see why it's such a bad idea. I mean, I would never want video; but the market the D90 is aimed at might have people that do. I mean, it's a consumer camera; not professional.

It doesn't seem that the price of the D90 is going to be pushed up because of it's video capability, so I don't see anything wrong with it - as Trenton Romulox said, for the market it's aimed at, it's a very good marketing move. I only hope that the video feature is properly executed and not "just" a marketing trick. I can already see many mommies and daddies with not much interest in photography getting the D90.
What I really want to know is what sensor is inside it.

It's an awesome idea!!! Video would ROCK on a dSLR with INTERCHANGEABLE lenses!!! If it's even 720p I'll buy one JUST for the video!!!

It's only luddites that can't see this. And it's OK for them... Let them buy a d40 :thumbdown: LOL!!!

It's an awesome idea!!! Video would ROCK on a dSLR with INTERCHANGEABLE lenses!!! If it's even 720p I'll buy one JUST for the video!!!

It's only luddites that can't see this. And it's OK for them... Let them buy a d40 :thumbdown: LOL!!!

Hmmm, I'm not entirely sure I think of myself as a luddite. The reason I don't see the point in having video in an SLR is the same reason I don't see the point in an 18-200mm lens, the spork, or Swiss Army knives with 84 tools. The simple fact is, anytime something is designed for more than one use, there are compromises. This is fine in a $200 P&S camera, but those who are paying for an SLR [ostensibly] want SLR results. I find it very difficult to belive that the D90 is going to be able to achieve the same performance scores in high-ISO, low noise, etc of it's existing cousins, and record video.

Last edited:
You'd be surprised how many people in the store ask me if the SLR's do video...

....and hold them out at arms length just because it's "digital".

I the other thread I pointed out that this would be great for wedding shooters and I still think so. Not only do you get an extra body but video to help you close the sale.

I didn't understand why people would want a camera on their phone. It's a useless feature any way you'd look at it, but never underestimate the customers. Someone somewhere may find a use for it.

Mind you give it time. The D90 isn't out yet. Plenty of time for the Nikon marketing machine to convince us all that we need video on SLRs.

I'm not a luddite, I'm a SNOB goddamnit!!! :lol:

Granted the video will never be as good as a dedicated video camera but I can't see its inclusion as damaging to the cameras ability to capture photographs.
And note that if studio photography is your thing then I can well understand video not being desirable or nessessary - but consider those who take their DSLR on holiday or wildlife shooter or press - the ability to take a video can capture sometimes more of a sight than a photo can -- and the ability to do both with one system means its far cheaper and lighter (I can't see many wildlifers carrying an SLR+lenses+tent+other stuff as well as a video camera when out trekking - just too much to carry all at once

The simple fact is, anytime something is designed for more than one use, there are compromises. This is fine in a $200 P&S camera, but those who are paying for an SLR [ostensibly] want SLR results. I find it very difficult to belive that the D90 is going to be able to achieve the same performance scores in high-ISO, low noise, etc of it's existing cousins, and record video.

Isn't the whole DXX series basically a compromise? I'd try and keep an open mind until we can play around with it a bit. There can be miracles. :mrgreen:

Isn't the whole DXX series basically a compromise? I'd try and keep an open mind until we can play around with it a bit. There can be miracles. :mrgreen:

Did you mean 'DX' as in APS-C format, and if so, how is that a compromise?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back