D90 for Real?

Well that's just it. It's impossible for the feature to be "so-so" if it's on a dSLR.

They couldn't muck it up unless they actually tried hard to do so.

Not really true, though, is it?

The problems would be exatly the same as those the manufacturers of real VR's have particularly relating to how that much data is handled and compressed.

Also it's no accident that SLR's have generally remained SLR shape and VR's have had a very different shape even though it's technically possible to make either in the shape of the other.

Then you have problems with the optimum ergonomics being somewhat different between the two classes of kit.

There is only one sensor, you program the sensor to do both, video and pictures....

Then how do you get live view?

Are you wondering how the video "gets through" the mirror in the way of the sensor? If so, I believe the mirror locks up out of the way and the video is taken as if you were just recording everything happening in live view for X period of time.

Are you wondering how the video "gets through" the mirror in the way of the sensor? If so, I believe the mirror locks up out of the way and the video is taken as if you were just recording everything happening in live view for X period of time.
I wasnt sure if thats the way it happened.

Now that it's been announced, I think Nikon seems to have done quite a good job with the D90. Expected small upgrades, CMOS sensor, and the addition of video will make this camera sell a lot.
Of course video is not really necessary. However, as people have already pointed out, the average consumer looking for a camera with better image quality will love it. And the DXX series is still mostly about consumers.
Several photojournalists I know also told me that they would like a camera with video functionality. As Hooligan_Dan said in another thread, some might be opting for a D90 as a backup.
I like the recent Nikon camera models - makes me optimistic about the future (looking forward to a D700 in 2 years or so). If they would only finally get some AF-S primes out (hopefully at a more or less similar price to the present ones...), it would be perfect.

Then how do you get live view?

All video cameras have live view.

Basically just think of it as splitting the feed. One goes to a processor where it's scaled down for the LCD and the other goes to the engine that formats the stream and writes it to the memory card.

Simple.

Last edited:
This helped me become convinced the video isn't that bad.
http://chsvimg.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/d90/en/d-movie/

And the way I see it, Nikon has a hit on their hands. Why? We're all talking about it. I didn't care about the D80 when it came out, none of my friends were talking about it, and people weren't throwing out the word 'game changing' like in the other D90 thread. Nikon has done their job, will sell a ton of cameras, and are keeping ahead of the competition. Well done no matter if you plan to use the video or not, Nikon just put themselves on the map of every consumer thinking about their first DSLR.

Same here. If it's under $1K I'll probably get one just for the video. I wanna wait a little bit tho because there really is no reason that they can't achieve larger frame sizes than 720p and/or maybe better compression than JPEG - like wavelets or something. Still I can and have used 720p in parts of large screen cinema films - that some of you have probably paid your $15 a ticket to go see. so... :D

I suppose the compression format can be modified by upgrading or hacking the firmware. ;)

Same here. If it's under $1K I'll probably get one just for the video. I wanna wait a little bit tho because there really is no reason that they can't achieve larger frame sizes than 720p and/or maybe better compression than JPEG - like wavelets or something.
You may have to wait some time.

Cameras are low power devices and compressing video in real time is a fairly compute (and thus power hungry) activity.

I suppose the compression format can be modified by upgrading or hacking the firmware. ;)

Yes, but again, don't hold your breath.

Nikon will have undoubtedly researched the best method available given the computing power available.

New and improved compression algorithms do not spring up every few days so although it's theoretically possible it's actually extremely unlikely to happen.

It's statistically unlikely that a better compression algorithm will appear during the sales life of the camera and the chances that they will fit faster processing without bringing out an entirely new model are practically zilch.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back