D90 lens

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by thehollywoodteam, Dec 29, 2009.

1. thehollywoodteam

thehollywoodteam TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey guys/gals,

I am purchasing my first DSLR and have turned my attention towards the D90 (it was between the 50D & D90)

Anyhow, I've been coming across lots of suggestions to buy body only & purchase lens separately because of factors like plastic ring/rubber, etc...

Which lens would you recommend for beginners other than the kit lens (18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G )?

Thanks for all the help, it really is difficult purchasing a DSLR :blushing::blushing:

2. Darkhunter139

Darkhunter139 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well what do you want to do with it and how much money do youwant to spend ?

3. thehollywoodteam

Photos OK to edit
    I want something that can be used for everyday shots...telephoto & wide angle. Budget is around $500 for lens.

4. djacobox372

djacobox372 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you want telephoto AND wide angle, then the only real choice is the 18-200mm vr... they sell used for around $500.

5. thehollywoodteam

Photos OK to edit
    By purchasing this lens, would I compromise any speed?

6. djacobox372

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, and No... it's not a "fast" lens, but it has VR, vibration reduction, which adds about two stop of steadiness to hand-held shooting, making it just as easy to shoot "shake free" handheld shots as a lens twice as fast.

A "fast" lens typically refers to a maximum aperture of 2.8 or less. There are no lenses that go from wide to telephoto that are "fast."

If you want to go with only "fast" glass you may consider these two lenses, but you'd be blowing your budget:

Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 = $350 used
    Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 = $550 used

Keep in mind that f2.8 telephotos are HEAVY and bulky. Most shooters keep some slower, lighter zooms around for casual photos and travel.

Personally I'd recommend the 18-200mm VR as your "everyday outdoor lens," and then add a 50mm f1.8 as your "fast" indoor/portrait lens--these can be found used for around $100.

7. thehollywoodteam

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, excellent info...

What is your opinion on the "kit" model, I understand it doesn't shoot as long as 18-200. It is understood that I will need to purchase lenses for each scenario...I'm more concerned about the "build quality" of the kit lens rather than the distance it will shoot. Customers on amazon mention damaging the plastic lens mount easily.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!

8. djacobox372

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Another option:

Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 ex dc = $350 used
    Nikon 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 = $170 used

This stays in your budget, covers 18mm all the way to 300mm with just a slight gap. It also gives you a "fast" pro-level lens for your lower focal lengths (the ones you are most likely to use indoors under low light). In the future you can replace the slower 70-300mm lens if you like.

9. djacobox372

Photos NOT OK to edit
    All nikon lenses are well made, I wouldn't worry too much about "build quality," unless your the type that abuses your gear. Frankly, only the most expensive lenses (out of your price range) have a build quality that is significantly better then the kit lens.

The problem with the kit lenses is their resale value, typically nikon lenses hold there value VERY well--but not kit lenses. If you buy a used mid or high grade lens now, you'll likely be able to sell it to close to what you paid for it a couple years from now--the same isn't true for kit lenses as nobody is "upgrading" to a kit lens.

10. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    A couple of points to consider.

Nikon's AF-S 18-200 mm f/3.5-5.6G is a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none lens. It has the worst barrel distortion of any Nikon lens made today. At the short end the distortion is quite complex and very difficult to correct with an image editor.

I would recommend the AF-S 18-105 mm f/3.5-5.6G over the 18-200.

Good camera handeling technique will prevent lens mount damage. Obviously, dropping or giving a a camera lens combo forceful bump exposes the equipment to damage of one sort or another.

You could have a nearly complete lens kit that gives you about the best image and build quality if you get these 3 lenses known as the Nikon Trinity:
    • AF-S 14-24 mm f/2.8G
    • AF-S 24-70 mm f/2.8G
    • AF-S 70-200 mm f/2.8G
    The total cost for the 3, bought new, will be just under $6000.

11. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd recommend the Sigma 18-250 HSM OS over the Nikon 18-200 personally.

12. Nikkor

Nikkor TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I bought my 18-105mm for $250 and I use it all the time. Its my staple lens. Its a great buy! I love it.