D90 + Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 + (any advice ?)

fido--dido

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi
im gonna bay my 1st dslr D90 + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 any advice about what lens i might also need.

Nice pair there.

I have the D90 and for lenses the:

• Nikkor 50mmf/1.8
  • 16-85mmVR f/3.5
  • 70-300mm VR f4.5

Out of the three of them, the 16-85 and 50 take some incredible pictures. I have found that I am not overly impressed with the light speed of them. The 3.5 and 4.5 are very limiting, especially when you get to the long end of the lens.

The 50mm is just too long to take some action shots within 15 feet. It does however make a wonderful portrait and walk around lens.

As such, I am in the process of trading both of my tele-zoom lenses off on Tamron f/2.8 glass, the 17-50 and the 70-200. I will be adding the 1.4X teleconverter eventually.

I tried the Sigma (Quantary) 70-200 f/2.8 lens today and talk about a heavy lens compared to the Nikkor 70-300. Something you REALLY want to have to carry for what I will be wanting to use it for. I go out really early in the morning either before the sun comes up, or late in the day when it's going down. The f/4.5 glass has me stopping before I am ready to. Just as the wildlife seems to becoming alive and moving.

I also take indoor sports/action shots where flash is not allowed. Even running at ISO 1250, I needed to run an aperture of f/2.8 and f/3.1 to get some decent stop action shots. Fast enough to stop a swinging wooden sword.

Because of some of the comments regarding the zoom helical's on the Sigma/Quantary, I held out and am waiting for them to get the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 in. I really like the options with the lens, and am looking forward to it.

I did try the 17-50mm f/2.8 today and it's now sitting on the shelf with my name on it, waiting for the 70-200 to come in. Once they are both in, I will be trading my Nikkor slow lenses for the Tamron Fast lenses.

Last edited:
The D5000 with the 18-55 and 55-200 and 35mm f/1.8 would be more flexible, less clunky, and about the same price.

sigma 18-50mm f2.8 HSM, and any lens with VR

The D5000 with the 18-55 and 55-200 and 35mm f/1.8 would be more flexible, less clunky, and about the same price.

You work in a camera store right? You guys have actually had the 35mm in stock? I can't find it anywhere and every time I ask my local shops, they just say they expect them soon.

To the OP, you would be well served to look for used kit lenses as I have seen the 18-55 on Craigslist for $100 and it's a good lens to get you by until you can get more dough for a nicer one.

thanx every one for your suggestions

As such, I am in the process of trading both of my tele-zoom lenses off on Tamron f/2.8 glass, the 17-50 and the 70-200. I will be adding the 1.4X teleconverter eventually.

what is that teleconverter is used for.
i found some reviews & compression between 18-200mm nikkor and tamron lenses, results show that nikkor lens is slightly better.

thanx every one for your suggestions

what is that teleconverter is used for.
i found some reviews & compression between 18-200mm nikkor and tamron lenses, results show that nikkor lens is slightly better.

The tele-converter is for the 70-200. I have used the 1.4X on my current 70-300 Nikkor and it extended it to a 420mm zoom. I used it in the Road trip pictures here. Would I use it all the time? Nope. Just when I really had something I knew I would not be able to get close to.

The Nikkor lens is like $2100. The Tamron is $800.

Why would I buy it? Because it will be a LONG time before I can spend that kind of change on a 400mm+ prime lens which is the ultimate I would want.

Canon's aren't much better

I just enrolled at the local Tech College for Land Survey/Civil Engineering. It will be a while before I can do much with better lenses.

nice Pictures you have there

man i cannot wait to get my Camera :D

2100$ 800$ u made your point clear

Most reactions

Back