d90 or 40D?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by tonynitz, Feb 4, 2009.

1. tonynitz

tonynitz TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    im looking to up grade to either ther the d90 or the 40d. As of right now im leaning towards the d90 because of the better sensor and more megapixels. I was wondering what one prefored better in low light and shows less noise. Any advice you guys have before i make my final choice? thanks

2. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well do you prefer nikon or canon? if nikon, go with the d90, if canon the 40d...

what are you upgrading from???

3. und3r.th3.sink

und3r.th3.sink TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nikon's are really user friendly and great cameras. The D90 is amazing (my friend has one, and I have spent lots of time with it), but the video recording component is not the best. I say forget about the video component and get the D90 regardless, but if that does concern you go with the canon.

4. tonynitz

tonynitz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    a canon rebel xti, i want to get a camera i can keep for a few years and still be a good camera. I don't really have a preference.

5. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    if you already have canon, you should stick with canon, because your use to it, and likely already have canon lens...

6. tonynitz

tonynitz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i sold all but one lens because i thought i was for sure gonna switch to nikon, now i'm not sure.

but what one has better images in low light?

7. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    its mostly going to be your lens which determins quality.. especially in low light.. and nice f1.8 or 1.4 will give nice shots in low light

8. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Tony,

I was in the same boat you are now not long ago. I was ready to jump ship from Canon to Nikon, specifically the D90. I spent a lot of time researching the 50D and the D90 then went to a local camera store and fiddled with each side-by-side for quite some time and here's what I found:

If I were you, I would look also at the 50D. I had a 40D and upgraded to the 50D and absolutely love it.

9. und3r.th3.sink

und3r.th3.sink TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    tony knight?.......

10. msgsti217

msgsti217 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i would go with the 40D. i've had one for about a year and love it.

hey tharmsen, how much different is the 50D than the 40?

11. DRoberts

DRoberts TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    D90 vs 40D is almost apples to oranges. If you are looking in the range of the D90 then you should be looking at a more a comparable Canon, which would be the 5D, the 5D M II or at very least the 50D as mentioned above.
    Also as mentioned if you already have a Canon it might be good to stay with it, especially if you already have lenses or other accessories.

12. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The difference is subtle, but if you've used a 40D for a while you might find the differences pretty significant.

The LCD screen is AMAZING. It's probably the best 3" screen I've ever seen on a camera. It makes the 40D's look really bad by comparison. I never relied on my 40D's LCD screen to see if a shot was really in focus or not. Half the time I thought it was, then when I got home I found out it really wasn't. With the 50D you can easily tell, it's like a HDTV vs. an old school analog TV.

The Quick Menu is extremely useful. I can touch the set button and have access to all camera settings. It's great for low light shooting instead of fumbling for the backlight button on the top LCD display. I use this all the time.

The micro-adjustment for your lenses is another useful feature. You can calibrate each lens to the camera and the camera remembers the settings (for each lens).

Live View now has it's own button (the print button we all never use). Not only does it have it's own button, but it now can focus while in Live View mode. This coupled with the much higher quality LCD screen means you can actually use it.

Those are the big things, but there are a bunch of little things in the menu system that are new/improved.

All together, the 50D really is a much improved camera. Is it worth the upgrade cost? For me, it was.