D90 or D300-Worth the cost?

mtaylor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I've been looking at picking up my own camera. I've been using my Dad's D60 for a couple years, and a few different P&S's for a few years before that. The 2 cameras I am looking at are the D90 and the D300. Basically my question is with price in mind, which is the better camera.

I mainly shoot sports at the moment, both inside and outside in high and low light (Skiing and Paintball). I am also looking at trying out a bit more landscape and maybe a bit of car photography.

At the moment I only have a Nikkor 18-200mm 3.5-5.6, but I am looking to pick up a 50mm f1.8, and maybe a few others.

So, is the D300 worth the $600 price difference?

So, I've been looking at picking up my own camera. I've been using my Dad's D60 for a couple years, and a few different P&S's for a few years before that. The 2 cameras I am looking at are the D90 and the D300. Basically my question is with price in mind, which is the better camera.

I mainly shoot sports at the moment, both inside and outside in high and low light (Skiing and Paintball). I am also looking at trying out a bit more landscape and maybe a bit of car photography.

At the moment I only have a Nikkor 18-200mm 3.5-5.6, but I am looking to pick up a 50mm f1.8, and maybe a few others.

The answer depends 100% on what is important to YOU. I'm using a D80 right now and hope to get a D90 but I won't pay the current price. TO ME, the main bennies of the D90 (compared to the D80) are 1) I'd like a second body and the D80 is no longer available and 2) low noise at high ISO. Period!

The answer depends 100% on what is important to YOU
D300 is build stronger and should last longer. For example, if you're shooting 100 weddings a years with around 500-600frames per wedding, your D300 should be upgraded in about 3 yrs. D90, on the other hand isn't built like that.
Image Q is great on both. DPREVIEW, I believe (don't remember) compares the results from both and although in default settings D90 is a bit softer then its brother, this can be corrected by boosting sharpness to about 5-7 (based on your preference).
So is it WORTH the price - again depends on you and your usage. Personally, I love D90 and VERY happy with it. My next body, G-d willingly will be D300s.

For sports? Absolutely. Why?

The same AF system as the D3 and 51 AF points alone is worth the $600.
Weather sealing
Metal body (D90 is all plastic)
the D300s has 2 card slots: 1 SD and 1 UDMA compliant CF
1/8000 shutter speed
100% viewfinder
8 FPS with the vertical grip (D300s).
The list goes on and on.

It's even more extensive if you'll use the camera for anything besides sports.
Up to 9 auto brackets (not 3)
CLS in 3 groups (not 2)
More external controls
yada, yada, yada.

If you can afford it get the new D300s, it costs the same as a new D300

If you shoot sports at night, the limiting factor will be your 18-200, not the camera.

i use both D90 (mine) and D300 (school's) for shooting college sports. depending on what sports you are shooting, sometimes the 51 autofocus isn't that critical. for volleyballs and such, the action is in the predictable area, therefore you can always prefocus. And D90 autofocus isn't bad either. also i prefer low light performance of D90 of D300. It just looks better imo. I prefer to shoot with D90 because of its lighter weight. When i have to lug the camera for 2 hr straight to shoot a soccer game with 70-200 2.8 attached, that couple lbs you save using D90 is a lifesaver for me. Ofcourse if i feel that there will be an inclement weather than i use d300. However, if you aren't shooting for assignment, are you going to shoot when the weather is ****ty? if not i say just save the 600 toward fast glass like 70-200 2.8.

Does either of them have a pc contact?

Early, I don't actually know what a PC contact. My first reaction is USB output, but that can't be right. I'd appreciate if you could explain that to me.

I went over to a store and held both of he cameras today, and I'm even more undecided. The D300 seems more capable when you look at it, but it's almost too big for everyday use. I did like the feel of it with a 50mm lens though. I ordered one of those in.

Early, I don't actually know what a PC contact. My first reaction is USB output, but that can't be right. I'd appreciate if you could explain that to me.

I went over to a store and held both of he cameras today, and I'm even more undecided. The D300 seems more capable when you look at it, but it's almost too big for everyday use. I did like the feel of it with a 50mm lens though. I ordered one of those in.
It's a place to plug in a speedlight PC cord.

Bottom line: the D90 is an entry level, all plastic camera that has the exact same sensor as the D300. However, the new D300s now has the latest Nikon EXPEED Image Processing engine.

Hit the gym.

Everyday pro sports shooters use the D3, which makes the D300 seem like a point and shoot.

Another thing to notice, is pro sports shooters use a monopod.

Well the big question I have is what is the OP's budget for glass? If you're only rocking the 18-200, then I highly suggest the D90 and spending the other $600 on glass.

If the camera is an independent purchase, and you've budgeted to buy some lenses as well, D300s all the way.

Either camera will have you smiling. I own one of each.

One word answer........

YES

..... but it all depends on you.

I've never held the D90, so take my comment with a large block of salt. However, I do own a D80, D300 & D700, so I'm not just whistling Dixie out of my backside. I can tell you that the build quality of the D300 is superb. (I think) it's built for 150K actuations (someone correct me), magnesium frame, 51 AF points, 6.5 fps out of the box (8 with the grip), SEALED....... Sure the D90 has some fine features. I don't do video, so that's a miss for me. But, TBH, you won't get the best out of it without proper glass...... of course that's with everything, but I'm just saying........

cha-ching...... 2¢ dropping down the shute

If you want a sports camera, the AF system of the D300 is what you want. Same with the frame rate--the D300 is more appropriate to sports shooting. If you are low on funds, buy used lenses from dealers in secondary markets, like for example, Kenmore Camera near Seattle.

If you want to shoot a high-speed action sport like skiing, I would think that you'd want a camera that had a professional-level autofocus system and 8 frames per second advance rate; the firing rate is what determines the autofocusing capability; the AF sensor's only receive data when the mirror is down. On a slower camera, when the mirror is up 1/5th of the time every second, the AF sensor is getting no data at all; when the mirror is up only 1/8 of the time, the AF sensor gets fed with data 8 times per second, not just 5 times per second. Continuous firing rate is not just to be able to machine gun; it means that your camera's AF system works much more rapidly.

The D300s has a few nice features over the D300 and the D90. That's why it costs several hundred more dollars. Check out Thom Hogan's Nikon Field Guide and Nikon Flash Guide for reviews from somebody who knows NIkon equipment very well, but who is more oriented to nature/landscape than sports shooting.

NikonUSA site for D90:

"Durable, high precision shutter: Testing to over 100,000 cycles assures shutter life and accuracy. "

I'd rule out actuations as a plus for the D300 over the D90, probably different wording for the same thing. Also, from comparison photos I've seen the D90 has an edge over the D300 in higher ISO performance as well.

Not saying it's necessarily better... but it's no slouch either. 4.5fps and lighter aluminum alloy/plastic body to boot.

Like you said, need to match your needs to confirm if the price difference is worth it. Right now that extra $600 almost (almost) gets you a second NEW D90 body.

My thought on the glass budget is that I will pick up a body, and use what I have in the way of lenses for now. After I shoot for a while and figure out my needs I will decide on a lens or 2.

I picked up a 50mm f1.8 today, my current thought is that a D300 with the standard lens is a pretty manageable camera. I was thinking of using the 50mm for everyday walkaround shooting, and whatever else for more photography oriented outings.

The cost of a D300s is more than I can see myself spending on a body. It's beteween the D300 and D90 as far as I'm concerned.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back