D90 Setup?

TJ K

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well I am getting a D90 for Christmas I think. That or the canon 50d if anyone can possibly help on that decision. And if I get the D90 I want to get it with the 18-105 and also the 50mm f1.4d. Does that sound like a good starting setup and get better glass eventually? And if the 50d is so much better than the d90 of something that I should know that separates it from the d90 please let me know. Thanks,
-TJ

Thank you. Can anyone else help out with my choice.

What research did you do so far and where did you look at reviews/specs and what not? No use in us possibly repeating things you read or learned already, yes?

Well given that KR seems to filate the 18-200 I wouldn't rely too much on that opinion. I've used both the 18-200 and the 18-105 and I can say the picture quality of the 18-105 is far greater so go figure.

If you're after good glass it's a great starting point. The 18-70mm and 18-105mm Nikkor kit lenses are in my opinion two of the best and highest quality kit lenses there are and mine have served me for a full year with no regrets before stepping up to something more serious.

As for the Nikon D90 vs Canon 50D. Both are quite capable cameras, feature rich, and give excellent picture quality. My suggestion is go to a store and grab both have a feel which one you find is more comfortable and pick that one. If I had the $20000 for a hassleblad I wouldn't buy it because it's just ludicrous to carry around the world.

Jerry I think I have done a fair amount of research. I found that the 50d can definitely shoot faster than the d90. 6.3fps to 4.5. And I read that the 50d may take to good of quality pictures and if you don't have good enough glass the pictures will look very soft. I am also concerned about the d90 because I heard something about not being able to just hook it up to my computer and transfer photos. There is also a 3mp difference in the cameras but that doesn't matter very much. I am wondering which camera is built better and which one would be best from going from pretty much beginner and be able to progress a lot and still have enough good and useful features. Thanks.

Honestly, go to a store and try out both cameras. Both are fantastic cameras, but the decision is up to you. Yes more MP is nice, but unless you print large photos you won't tell the difference. Speed is nice [FPS] but useless if you shoot nature/slow moving shots; useful for sports however. Good glass is always a necessity, using a Nikon D3 or 5DMII with a cheap 18-55 or whatnot is dumb. Spend what you can afford and buy nicer glass. The D90 is $999 and he 50D is $1300, I'd rather save my $300 and buy better glass, in your case a L f/2.8 lens maybe even IS [canon], or a pro quality f/2.8 VR [nikon] if you care. However the decision is up to you. Feel out both cameras, take test shots, and make up your own mind, don't just ask us.

OMG Garbz... ROFL! I wonder how many people even caught that!

TJ, *any* camera will take poorer pictures with a kit lens than a better quality one. As far as hooking up your camera to a computer... IMHO, you should not be doing that in the first place anyway. Take the card out and purchase a $25 USB2 card reader. Hooking up the camera to the computer leaves it open to the chance of a small electrical current flowing in the wrong direction and it then effectively FRIES your camera. Very rare that it happens... but it does, so why even chance it? Besides, transferring via card reader is ALWAYS faster, even on the $8000 cameras!

Build quality is near identical between the both of them. Quality of the results... I did not check, so I cannot tell you. You can find that out yourself by visiting DPREVIEW.COM and seeing what is read about both. Compare the specs and see which you feel is better for you.

Finally, I would see if I could find a place where I could hold both and see which fits and feels better.

For me, my hands just wrap around a Nikon very naturally and everything falls in place where it should be in my mind, but when I lift a Canon, I find myself really out of sorts and lost... and that was since day 1 before made my first camera choice... but that is me, and not anyone else, so take that for whatever it is worth.

Thanks guys hopefully I can get a chance to hold the 50d I have already held the d90 a few times. Maybe there will be good deals coming up on the cameras at circuit city because of the whole going out of business thing.

I just was debating on the same choices. I have wanted the D90 since it came out, and then my friend has a Canon 50D that I played with for a while, and made me consider that as well. I did a lot of research and it all came down to "EENY-MEANY-MINY-MO."
LOL
They both have their advantages and disadvantages, but I was able to get the Nikon D90 for a few hundred dollars less. I was able to add a battery grip, extra batteries, and a memory card, for the price of just the 50D body. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I'm now waiting to getting a Nikon 18-200 VR.

18-105 is a good startup, general glass. Just b/c KR isn't into it doesn't mean anything...
the glass of your choice is good glass. Don't forget a flash :thumbup:

Just wanted to clarify that you most definitely CAN connect your D90 to your computer through USB.

You can also connect a GPS to it and automatically geotag your photos :D

I bought my D90 with the 18-105 kit lens and thought it was fine... at the time I had the 18-250 Sigma (see my sig), so I sold the kit lens because I didn't need it. That said, I think it was a nice lens and very light weight with good range. I can't say it was better than either 18-200 I've owned though, I always enjoyed those lenses myself (but to me the Sigma is better).

I don't think you can make a wrong decision, just get whichever one feels better to you and enjoy.

I just was debating on the same choices. I have wanted the D90 since it came out, and then my friend has a Canon 50D that I played with for a while, and made me consider that as well. I did a lot of research and it all came down to "EENY-MEANY-MINY-MO."
LOL
They both have their advantages and disadvantages, but I was able to get the Nikon D90 for a few hundred dollars less. I was able to add a battery grip, extra batteries, and a memory card, for the price of just the 50D body. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I'm now waiting to getting a Nikon 18-200 VR.

Dang you almost brought this thread back on the 1 year anniversary. It's been dead for a while my friend.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back