D90 Successor price (D8000)

SensePhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So im sitting here a click away from getting D90 through best buy because it's time to move up from D40x. My price range is $1200-1400 and I need your help. When a D90 successor comes out, and rumors have it that they started pulling D90 displays from stores nationwide making room for the new model, how much will it cost in your opinion? Will it be just a direct model replacement and stay at the same price range or it will jump up to a whole another level of expensive. You guys have seen Nikon release new models before so you should have some idea and i would appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

When a D90 replacement appears, it will likely be at about the same price point.

New cameras are always a bit more expensive than what they are replacing because they are new, and the maker wants to take full advantage of the early adopters and hasn't yet amortised their design and production changeover costs.

The D90 was about $900 when it was first introduced.

Last edited:
Retail for the D90 with kit lens (18-105mm VR) is $1299. I've read that the D90 replacement will probably be about $1200 BODY only.

Typically the 70/80/90 series have been based on the previous 100/200/300 line.

So this would mean the d90's successor would be be a cheaper version of the d700.

So this would mean the d90's successor would be be a cheaper version of the d700.

These two aren't even close to being the same class. One is FX and the other is DX. Unless the d90 replacement is going to be FX, which I highly doubt cause that would kill the sales of the d300s.

My guess is that it'll probably be a 16mp DX with 1080p af video and same ISO performance.

Nikon typically lets its models run their natural course...buying a new Nikon "late" in the model's lifespan is not usually a good idea...far better to buy the new model when it comes out,and enjoy two years of being on the front edge of the curve instead of the back edge...

Nikon typically lets its models run their natural course...buying a new Nikon "late" in the model's lifespan is not usually a good idea...far better to buy the new model when it comes out,and enjoy two years of being on the front edge of the curve instead of the back edge...

Unless it's a d300/d3. Even to this day those two aren't really "outdated"

Unless it's a d300/d3. Even to this day those two aren't really "outdated"

Yeah, the d300s isn't outdated neither is the D700, but hey man look at the price of those things, making a new and better model of those cameras even the D3x/s. The price of the D300s is already over $2000.00. So outdating those cameras would be difficult to do IMO.

Retail for the D90 with kit lens (18-105mm VR) is $1299. I've read that the D90 replacement will probably be about $1200 BODY only.

For 1200 body only, it had better be a metal body to compete with the build of the 50d instead of the plastic crap they use now.

I have no idea what it will be, but I'd guess that it will be something in the 16mp range to come closer to the 7d....since the D300s replacement will probably use the same sensor and WILL be the direct competition for the 7d then it would make sense for the D90 replacement to have a comparable sensor in preparation for the D300s replacement.

For 1200 body only, it had better be a metal body to compete with the build of the 50d instead of the plastic crap they use now.

If rumors are true, the D90 replacement will have a metal body (supposedly aluminum to keep the weight down). Ironically, also according to rumors, the Canon 50D replacement (60D) will have a plastic body. Hard to know what's true, but we'll find out in the next few weeks I guess.

I hope Nikon isn't tempted to match Canon in the high MP race with the new DX cameras at the cost of low-light performance. But I guess marketing dictates they'll at least have to get close :grumpy:

If rumors are true, the D90 replacement will have a metal body (supposedly aluminum to keep the weight down). Ironically, also according to rumors, the Canon 50D replacement (60D) will have a plastic body. Hard to know what's true, but we'll find out in the next few weeks I guess.

I hope Nikon isn't tempted to match Canon in the high MP race with the new DX cameras at the cost of low-light performance. But I guess marketing dictates they'll at least have to get close :grumpy:

I've also heard rumors that the 50d won't get a replacement and will be the last model of that line. I personally think the 7d has cut a little close to the market of the 50d/60d to warrant having both.

These two aren't even close to being the same class. One is FX and the other is DX. Unless the d90 replacement is going to be FX, which I highly doubt cause that would kill the sales of the d300s.

My guess is that it'll probably be a 16mp DX with 1080p af video and same ISO performance.

That's like saying they wouldn't release the d90 because it would kill the sales of the d200.

Although you may be right about nikon wanting to hold onto their line of aps sensor cameras.

Why not magnesium? it's what they use in their other metal bodies and it's 2/3rds the weight of aluminum.

Most reactions

Back