D90 Successor price (D8000)

For 1200 body only, it had better be a metal body to compete with the build of the 50d instead of the plastic crap they use now.

If rumors are true, the D90 replacement will have a metal body (supposedly aluminum to keep the weight down). Ironically, also according to rumors, the Canon 50D replacement (60D) will have a plastic body. Hard to know what's true, but we'll find out in the next few weeks I guess.

I hope Nikon isn't tempted to match Canon in the high MP race with the new DX cameras at the cost of low-light performance. But I guess marketing dictates they'll at least have to get close :grumpy:

Why not magnesium? it's what they use in their other metal bodies and it's 2/3rds the weight of aluminum.

Don't quote me on this but I think the magnesium alloy camera bodies (from all manufacturers) use a steel frame. I'm hoping it's the frame of the D8000 (D7000?) that's supposedly aluminum. Or maybe Aluminum's cheaper... Who knows if any of this is true... probably best to just wait for real info.

Don't quote me on this but I think the magnesium alloy camera bodies (from all manufacturers) use a steel frame.
I think the magnesium alloy frames, are magnesium alloy frames, which is a frame made from a magnesium alloy.

Don't quote me on this but I think the magnesium alloy camera bodies (from all manufacturers) use a steel frame.
I think the magnesium alloy frames, are magnesium alloy frames, which is a frame made from a magnesium alloy.

Dammit... what part of "don't quote me" do you not understand? :greenpbl:

Maybe it's only a Canon thing -- I remembered this steel stuff from something I read about the 50D. And it's quite possible that I remembered the whole thing wrong. Anyway, here's what Canon says about the 5D Mk II (from here):
a stainless steel chassis reinforced by magnesium alloy offers excellent protection against the minor bumps and drops of everyday use
And about the 50D (from here):
Constructed around a stainless steel chassis reinforced by magnesium alloy, this heavy-duty performer is made to last.

Here is what Nikon says about their D300s:

Rugged and Durable
The strength and precision of magnesium-alloy construction with advanced dust and moisture countermeasures is teamed with a shutter mechanism tested to beyond 150,000 cycles for real-world reliability.

These are the rumored specs for the D95. Also you can find a D90 for $700.

Aluminium or magnesium-alloy body
16MP sensor
1080 HD video
Somewhere between 6-8 fps
Improved ISO
39 AF points
Price: $1199 for body only

they are selling refurbished d90 at national camera exchange tent sale in Golden Valley minnesota for $629!!! (body only)

Without a doubt the D90 successor (D95?) will have some outstanding specifications. High MP, high ISO and more AF points will be a few of the selling points.

It appears that the D3100 will replace the D3000 and D5000. The D3100 will be better than the current D90 IMO.

What I am waiting for is the D300s successor which could be the D400 if anything at all. Hopefully Nikon retains a pro level DX format camera. In all aspects the D95 sounds very impressive.

If it can live up to the rumored spec sheet, 1200 for the body sounds like a steal. I'd love a smaller ex body to be able to get the benefit of the crop factor.

I have a d90 and i wont be trading it for another dx...
Im saving up for the d700 replacement.

How much will the d90's price drop when its successor comes out?
And how fast?
I bought a refurb d90 body for 720$ yesterday, and I'm contemplating a refund and waiting for the d90 to drop even more.

Should I wait?

Not much. Currently at B&H the price is $830 - But the D90 is not in stock at any price there as of today at least. With the announcement of the D3100, B&H shows the D3000, body only, as Discontinued.

If they announce the the D90 successor next month. It will be at least another month before they start to ship and the first of those will ship to pre-orders.

Typically the 70/80/90 series have been based on the previous 100/200/300 line.

So this would mean the d90's successor would be be a cheaper version of the d700.

These two aren't even close to being the same class. One is FX and the other is DX. Unless the d90 replacement is going to be FX, which I highly doubt cause that would kill the sales of the d300s.

My guess is that it'll probably be a 16mp DX with 1080p af video and same ISO performance.

That's like saying they wouldn't release the d90 because it would kill the sales of the d200.

Although you may be right about nikon wanting to hold onto their line of aps sensor cameras.

Most of the cost of a body with a full frame sensor comes from the price of the sensor's manufacturing cost. A full frame D90 replacement would run you over $2000. There's no way that's going to happen.

Here is my speculation from Nikon in a couple of year

D90 replacement will over take the current D300s
D300s replacement will have new FX sensor and will be built for speed (16mp 8/9fps, new AF system, ISO 25-100K)
D700 replacement will be built for resolution (probably 21-24mp)
and of course all three will have 1080P AF video

With the additional FX sensor in the D300s, Nikon FF sensor production cost will be cheaper and that will hopefully keep the new D300s about $2000 for body. Like I said, just all speculations.

I bought my D700 and everyone was like "woah there's going to be a replacement any day" that was last year and I am glad I didn't take it back and I am glad I have had it all this time.

Half of me wishes that they'd bring out the new one so I could waste another £2000, but I think I'd rather get some awesome new lenses.

@shaunly do you really think the new D300s will be FX ? :S

Most reactions

Back