D90 vs 50D

shotshot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know there are other threads on this matchup and I have read them but I still don't see a clear cut winner. I like to take a lot of pictures of street action, sports and landscapes. I was set on the D90 but the 50D is not that much more $$$. I know most of the specs for both from dpreview.com but which one comes with a better lense in the kit (I don't have the cash to splurge on a better lense at the moment so I will have to make due with the kit)? I also heard that the lense with the D90 kit creates distorted, rounded images and that worries me. I like the 6.3 fps but can prolly live with 4.5 but the 11 point AF vs 9 point is nice but I can prolly live with either. What is the best deal for the money and what camera would fit me best pertaining to what I like to shoot. I have owned many slrs but this is my first dslr purchase so I wanna make it count. I need to keep it under $1500 for a body and lense so if you have any suggestions let me know. I am open to the fact that I am wet behind the ears with using dslrs but I have read a lot about them.

the 50d records 1080p over the d90's 720p, if thats a big deal to you. just try them both out, thats the easiest way to find out.

To me, the winner is the lens system you like better.

the 50d records 1080p over the d90's 720p, if thats a big deal to you. just try them both out, thats the easiest way to find out.

The 50D does not record movies, the camera that does is the Canon 5D Mark 2, which does 1080p.

We're comparing movie shooting specs on DSLRs now? Sheesh.

Really, you can shoot sports decently with just about any DSLR if you're talented enough. It's the lens and lighting that make the real difference.

If you don't like the D90's kit lens, you can buy the body on its own and still have $500 for a lens.

If you're not currently invested in any SLR system, choose the one that fits your needs best and what bodies feel most comfortable in your hands. For me, Nikons just fit so naturally in my hands, I like their control systems and you can't beat their forward and backward lens compatibility. I use newer and older Nikon bodies, so having lenses that can fit on both bodies is important to me.

That said, I can certainly see the attraction to Canon's EOS system where you're guaranteed to have full compatibility across the board, with the exception of EF-S lenses on EF bodies. Nikon has mounting compatibility since 1959 with few exceptions, but the available features between lenses and bodies are all over the map.

Most reactions

Back