D90 vs Rebel

lucas123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Nikon vs Canon
hello i am using a D40 now and am thinking about going to the D90 i was just wondering if someone who maybe used both cameras or just someone who knows more than i do about the two. Could help me make a decision on what to get ?
i only have the kit lens 18-55 and a 55-200vr as well for my D40 and i do like that i know the controls of the 40 but over all what do u think would be the better camera?
please help thanks :)

so, if you already have Nikon lenses and are familiar with the controls, why do you want to switch to Canon? It makes no sense to me...

I agree, if you already have a nikon and lenses why switch if you have been happy with it? I personally will only shoot nikons. I think their lenses are better too but it's just my .02

Ok no real difference in lens... lets not turn this thing into Canon vs. Nikon haha

I will only shoot Canons... and even I say to stick with the Nikon... the D90 should smoke just about all the rebels. D90 vs. a xxD body.... well thats a different story that doesn't need to be discussed.

D90 vs. Rebel, D90 all the way.

ok thanks a lot thats what i was thinking to but talking to someone the other night they asked me why i went Nikon and not canon from the start so i was thinking maybe i should have? I do like the 40 and just wanted to spend the cash on the right upgrade?i guess its just personal preference by the was it sounds some people like canon and some people like Nikon just like there are Toyota people and there are ford people lol
Is there any complaints out there on the D90?
thanks for the replies

You have two so-so lenses. It is hardly a huge investment that you have in Nikon right now to make you gun-shy about getting a Canon. I would NOT get a Canon Rebel over a D90 however. Perhaps a 50D over the D90, but then those are barely comparable cameras. As it is you could probably sell your D40 set for about 500 bucks and just put that towards a new camera, and a new starting lens (a good one this time out).

I use Canon camera. But I will suggest you stay with Nikon. Or use the money and get a better lens for your D40.

so wait, you're invested in two Nikon mount lenses, and are thinking about switching ot Canon?

That doesn't make any sense to me, especially since you said you are familiar with the controls of the Nikon. Plus, the Rebel line would be more in line with the D40X, D3000, and D5000 not a D90.

Invested what. . .200 dollars on the 50-200MM (IF it is the VR lens, less if it isn't), and perhaps 100 or so more for buying a D40 kit with included 18-55 lens. Far beyond an "investment". The OP loses NOTHING by switching to Canon. The D40, while a fine camera, isn't exactly taxing as far as learning curves are concerned.

so, if you already have Nikon lenses and are familiar with the controls, why do you want to switch to Canon? It makes no sense to me...

He has obviously seen the light...

though...

A D90 probably is better than a Rebel...

thanks guys and i do love nikon and like Ands said i don't have alot invested in lenses and was just curious as to what you guys thought as this was my first dslr and find i just need a little more once again thank for your input ..the 90 it is :)

well you have invested in at least one. I wouldn't want to buy anything and then switch to a platform that wouldn't accept what I spent my money on.

And I'm partially saying this to stir things up in a light manner.

If you want to buy canon, get a printer, or a copier, or a scanner.

so wait, you're invested in two Nikon mount lenses, and are thinking about switching ot Canon?

That doesn't make any sense to me, especially since you said you are familiar with the controls of the Nikon. Plus, the Rebel line would be more in line with the D40X, D3000, and D5000 not a D90.
I'd bet the 2 lenses came in a kit with the camera.

Actually, I would say the Rebels kick the snot out of Nikon's D40/D40x/D60. That's why they aren't being made anymore. The only saving grace for the D3000 is the improved AF module and added AF points.

The D90/D5000 redefine the entry-level category for all the camera makers as far as ISO and image quality standards go. Both cameras have the same 12 MP CMOS image sensor, which they inherited from the D300/D300s.

It's very hard to go wrong moving up to a Nikon D90.

the kit actually cam with just the 18-55 and i did buy the 55-200 but really wanted the 18-55 lol anyway i just find i am not quite getting what i am looking for with my 40? and i cant wait to get the 90 now hee hee

While he doesn't have a TON invested in lenses... he still has more money in Nikon glass than Canon glass... that alone should sway him towards the D90...

Most reactions

Back