D90....why so much price fluxuation at B&H?

BTW in the UK (and probably elsewhere) Nikon increased thier prices on the 12th January by 10 - 15%.

This was around the same time many (not just Nikon) electrical brands did the same.

Typically on the 10th i was looking at a D700... took a few days to decide what to do, and when i went back, not only were most places out of stock but they also had the new prices (over £100 increase) for the next batch....
I still don't have a new camera yet as that kind of put me off :p

As a few people mentioned tho it is just the way current economics are effecting the market.

I just looked at a couple of Canon items I am saving for and the prices seem steady there. Is it possible that this is a Nikon thing?

If it is, Nikon must enjoy shooting themselves in the foot.

That's what makes Nikon and Canon so fun some times. They tend to do that every once in a while. The one thing that did surprise me was the 400 f2.8. I paid the listed $6800 price for it 6 months ago and it is still the same. I checked the Nikon and I thought it was in the $7000+ range then. Now I see it is over $8,000. Ouch.

I don't know *what* is going on. I was going to order 2 more SB-600s from them last week. From April 2008 to December 2008 they were under $175 now they are $225, thats over a 28% increase! To heck with that. SB-600s are priced WAY higher than I will ever pay for them.

With this economy being crap the way it is, one would think prices would stay the same or drop a little, not go up.

On a side note, ebay usually has some good prices on brand new Buy It Now SB-600s. I've seen plenty of them for $175ish.

I didn't know that companies adjusted their prices for price and demand every single week.

Retailers adjust prices for a variety of market conditions including but certainly not limited to supply and demand. We're reluctant to raise prices, but sometimes forces beyond our control oblige us to do so.

On a side note, ebay usually has some good prices on brand new Buy It Now SB-600s. I've seen plenty of them for $175ish.

Links please? For $175US and reasonable shipping costs (not $15-20 each), I am ready to get 2 right away. :)

Last edited:
Down to 889.99 this week. I still am amazed that they waste the time adjusting prices weekly....especially such a minimal amount. It doesn't really bother me too much, but kind of annoying.

It seems like used gear prices usually goes based on the price of new gear (x amount under new) but with prices varying it kind of makes it hard to see how good of a deal you are getting.

On a slightly different note.....I always see these used D90s selling for 900 bucks plus shipping (body only) and that's USED. And they actually sell at that price and very quickly at that. I don't understand how they sell when you can buy new from B&H for cheaper than the used ones.

After looking on eBay for 2 days, there were no new SB-600s under $200, much less the $175 that I was looking for.

With the exception of upping my two photography-centric computers from 4 to 8 GB of RAM and adding eight 2TB drives (4 in each PC in a RAID5 configuration), I've decided to simply hold off all other photography purchases until such time as prices come down to sane levels again, or I find a place that has more reasonable pricing.

Prices right now are not condusive to making wise purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back