Da Vinci Code

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by wwjoeld, May 27, 2004.

1. wwjoeld

wwjoeld TPF Noob!

I just finished reading this book and i have to say it is the best book i have ever read, i could not put it down.

It is by Dan Brown, and it explains a lot of things about christianity and other this related to jesus.

A crazy suspense thriller that will teach you many things and will keep you enthralled in the story line.

that is all

2. Luminosity

Luminosity No longer a newbie, moving up!

I've seen it around ... its been on the best seller lists for AGES .... seems like a worthwhile read, have only read excerpts from it.... :)

3. graigdavis

graigdavis TPF Noob!

I read it. It really is a good FICTION book. I wouldnt go using it as a reference to Christianity and its history...

4. Luminosity

Agrees.
    Its always wise to take any book's viewpoint, fiction or otherwise , with a large grain of salt. Really good bodies of fiction , IMO , serve to only pique your interest ( for further research ) on a subject rather then take it as gospel ( scuse the pun ) on its own merits.

5. Luminosity

Grrrr I double posted AGAIN ! :x

6. Osmer_Toby

Osmer_Toby TPF Noob!

check out Holy Blood, Holy Grail. it is the non-fiction body of research upon which dvc was based.

7. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

Even though DVC is fiction, it did make me question a lot of things. (Angels and Demons, the prequel to DVC is also good.) I was born and raised roman catholic, and though I had been falling away from the church for quite awhile, the things I learned (actually, like lum said, it really piqued my interest for further research) pretty much finished the job and gave me good reasons for my feelings.

Anyway, it is a great book. They're in preproduction for the movie now--ron howard's directing, and they're trying to get russell crowe for the lead.

8. aggiezach

aggiezach Yup...

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was actually planning on buying this book today. Its been highly recomended to me by firends and family. I'm glad you all like as well. I always love a good book :D

9. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ha - this had screenplay written all over it. I've been hoping it wouldn't get botched. Ron Howard is going to give this movie excellent treatment. He's terrific! If they get Russell Crowe for the lead, tons of people will go see it, just on his star power.

And while it is a ripping good yarn in its own right, I must say it smacked of something that had been diligently researched. I was raised a Baptist, and I found huge portions of the text quite validating. Loved it!!

10. graigdavis

graigdavis TPF Noob!

I bought a book called Breaking the Da Vinci Code. It totaly prooves everything wrong that the DVC says. Sit down with the DVC, this book and a bible and let me know what you come up with. Cool stuff.

11. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Really? Who wrote it? The DVC is just fiction. Wonder why anyone would take the time to dispute it....? :scratch:

12. graigdavis

graigdavis TPF Noob!

Because so many people take it for solid fact. Dan Brown even goes so far as to say that its all fact. The DVC does a good job of turning the wheels in your head. But unfortunatly people dont take the time to really study and they believe the first thing they read that sounds like it makes sense. Hopefully people will take the time to read this book if they were interested enough.

it is writen by Darrell L. Bock